BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #23
monsosa22
United_States
Rep
Drives: totalled 330, M3 on order!

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]

Wild like this?
Attached Images

01-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #24
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
That may well be true...but it's a little ironic considering that I drive an M3. I just want the same tough looks with the E92 as with the E46, and it seems that BMW has really softened their look.

Clean and modern is great...just not boring! They really softened up the look of the E92...it's not as tough...no fender flares...and a big smiling front air dam instead of the one on the E46 that looks like it is going to swallow up whatever is in its path. They've made it very "metro," if you know what I mean. This version is by far the most bland looking...earlier versions, dating back to the E30 were much wilder, IMO.
I believe it was the designer of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage that said, "The best sports car designs incorporate both masculine and feminine design aspects." Clearly you can see how this philosophy is behind the V8 Vantage and I think the M3 fits it just as well. Rounded corners with some strong creases is becoming more common and the sharp square shapes (aside form Cadillac) are going out of style. This has also come about since manufacturing techniques and costs now allow for it, as well as material constraints and manipulation.

As far as the fender flares go, the M3 definitely has them. They aren't overwhelming but nor are they absent either. If you ask me I'd say that the fender flares on the e46 M3 are not really that big either, and I believe the degree of actual flare between the M3 and the normal 3-series fenders would be about equal.
      01-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
JoeShaney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Sedan

Man, I don't think there is anything wrong with the man's opinion. While his photo-shopped picture is ridiculous, I'm sure that there will be things coming out to make a more aggressive looking M3. I like the "feminine" look i suppose, and therefore don't see how anyone wouldn't love the look of the m3 rear. Let's see what we're saying in 3 years though..... there's always room for improvement, which is why new styles come out every 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with his opinion at all. Simply that he shouldn't try to like a car that he fundamentally doesn't.

And like my above quote, since you like the feminine parts of the car I'm sure the masculine parts only help to make them stand out more for you.
      01-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I believe it was the designer of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage that said, "The best sports car designs incorporate both masculine and feminine design aspects." Clearly you can see how this philosophy is behind the V8 Vantage and I think the M3 fits it just as well. Rounded corners with some strong creases is becoming more common and the sharp square shapes (aside form Cadillac) are going out of style. This has also come about since manufacturing techniques and costs now allow for it, as well as material constraints and manipulation.

As far as the fender flares go, the M3 definitely has them. They aren't overwhelming but nor are they absent either. If you ask me I'd say that the fender flares on the e46 M3 are not really that big either, and I believe the degree of actual flare between the M3 and the normal 3-series fenders would be about equal.
That's fair, but the Vantage is probably the best-looking car on the planet. If the M3 looked half as good I would have no qualms about it at all.

True, it does have fender flares, and it's may be true that the width change is the same. What has changed is that the E46 M3 had taller flares (extending higher up on the fender edge), if that makes sense, that created a more dramatic effect.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #28
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsosa22 View Post

Wild like this?
Well more like this!

Admittedly, the US version of the E36 M3 was the mildest version, but most people would say that wasnt really an M3 at all.
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Renting Corolla lol

if you must mod your fancy cars. thank you for keeping it looking luxurious or sporty. just please dont try to turn it into some sort of space craft. it's still simply a car, and we are still human. have good taste.
post more pics!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #30
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's fair, but the Vantage is probably the best-looking car on the planet. If the M3 looked half as good I would have no qualms about it at all.

True, it does have fender flares, and it's may be true that the width change is the same. What has changed is that the E46 M3 had taller flares (extending higher up on the fender edge), if that makes sense, that created a more dramatic effect.
Well the e46 was overall more boxy looking. So that is expected.

Quote:
Well more like this!

Admittedly, the US version of the E36 M3 was the mildest version, but most people would say that wasnt really an M3 at all.
Don't let anyone that owns a e36 M3 hear you say that. You might get shiv'd.
      01-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #31
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Well the e46 was overall more boxy looking. So that is expected.

Don't let anyone that owns a e36 M3 hear you say that. You might get shiv'd.
Fair enough. My comment on the US E36 was based on the fact that it didnt use the same engine as the rest of the world, but rather a modified 328 engine. Not that it wasnt a great car, but it wasnt the same car the rest of the world got.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #32
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
These Are A Few Things You Put On For Now

YOU CAN PUT THESE FEW THINGS ON YOUR M3 TO MAKE IT LOOK DIFFERENT AND STAND OUT I PLAIN TO ADD THIS SAME STUFF TO MY M3 WHEN I GET IT.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0