BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Mporium BMW

02-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Looking to move to the south west - need some advice and help

Going for the big change.. I'm wondering if there was anyone here that would be able to guide me in the right direction and maybe even help me out.

I'm planning ahead, so bear with me. I am looking to move this summer (2013) from Michigan to the south west side. My concerns are: 1. Finding the correct career. 2. Living expenses and finding the right location. 3. Finding a job for the lady.

I'm coming from the health field with a major in health communications. I've had my fair share of experience over here, but need a change in scenery. I know that HMOs and hospitals are large over in this area.

Is anyone on here working in the health/medical field or know of anyone that would be able to assist me? I am looking for some advice on what kinds of things to look into and maybe if you could help me find a job.

My second concern is the cost of living in these areas and finding a home to live in. I know the costs are up the rear, but if we can find a job, that won't be too much of an issue. We just need an apartment with garages in the suburb.

Third, the lady will need a job too. She has a degree in advertising and PR. So, that may be easy to find, but difficult to get into.

Let me know if anyone can help express some knowledge in our direction. It would mean a lot to us. Vegas, Texas, or anyone place is ideal.

Thanks,

Sean.
      02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Sounds like a LOT of points need to be worked out first. I would gather a list of the places you want then narrow them down. Once you've done that, start job hunting. I am one that would never venture out before a job is secured.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
mashimarho
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Sounds like a LOT of points need to be worked out first. I would gather a list of the places you want then narrow them down. Once you've done that, start job hunting. I am one that would never venture out before a job is secured.
I didn't plan on moving out before landing a job. So far my plans are to fly out to see NorCal vs SoCal. Find some jobs before I fly out, get some informational interviews and take a look around.

This is what I've been told. I have no intentions on coming out to try and live out there first.
      02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Come to Texas, Houston-specifically.

No state income tax, good weather (except you can trade-off July-August in Texas for Jan-Feb in Michigan), friendly people, and jobs.

Houston has a gigantic medical presence. Texas Medical Centre (1) has tens of thousands of people working there in patient care and research. MD Anderson Cancer Center, and so on are there.

Cost of living? Well, you can get three times the quality/size of a house in Texas than you can in California. In the suburbs (Stafford, TX), a nice two BR apartment with attached garage runs around $1,100 a month. Food, insurance, utilities, all less than California.

If you are a fan of firearms, you'll be able to keep and expand your collection in Texas (versus becoming an instant felon once you cross into California with some kinds of legal weapons).

And, finally, you'll find awesome BMW clubs in Houston, like the "Houston ///M Club." (2)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center
The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research.[1] Located in Greater Houston, the center contains 50 medicine-related institutions, including 15 hospitals and two specialty institutions, three medical schools, four nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and other health-related practices.

(2) http://www.houstonmclub.com/welcome.html

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E85 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Come to Texas, Houston-specifically.

No state income tax, good weather (except you can trade-off July-August in Texas for Jan-Feb in Michigan), friendly people, and jobs.

Houston has a gigantic medical presence. Texas Medical Centre (1) has tens of thousands of people working there in patient care and research. MD Anderson Cancer Center, and so on are there.

Cost of living? Well, you can get three times the quality/size of a house in Texas than you can in California. In the suburbs (Stafford, TX), a nice two BR apartment with attached garage runs around $1,100 a month. Food, insurance, utilities, all less than California.

If you are a fan of firearms, you'll be able to keep and expand your collection in Texas (versus becoming an instant felon once you cross into California with some kinds of legal weapons).

And, finally, you'll find awesome BMW clubs in Houston, like the "Houston ///M Club." (2)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center
The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research.[1] Located in Greater Houston, the center contains 50 medicine-related institutions, including 15 hospitals and two specialty institutions, three medical schools, four nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and other health-related practices.

(2) http://www.houstonmclub.com/welcome.html

- V

+1
Was in Michigan for 14 years and then Ohio for 15 before my company moved us out to Texas 4 years ago. We love it and would agree with everything VMcV3y says above. My wife is a nurse and there's all kinds of medical careers here in the Houston/Katy area. We love it here.

Good luck!
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have always wanted to move to Texas and may soon. As an outsider who has never been I hear the Katrina refugees have made downtown Houston a high crime area. Any truth to that?

I realize any major city will have its problem areas but is it widespread or easy to avoid?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E85 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
I have always wanted to move to Texas and may soon. As an outsider who has never been I hear the Katrina refugees have made downtown Houston a high crime area. Any truth to that?

I realize any major city will have its problem areas but is it widespread or easy to avoid?
I don't believe that to be the case, but as you state, it's a large city (4th largest in US) and with that you'll have crime.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post

I live downtown, before, during, and after Katrina hit.

Crime began to spike; but the then Chief of Police and the D.A. made sure criminals heard that HPD wouldn't stand for it. The arrest rate went up quickly as well. It was a problem for about a year, but eventually law enforcement got a handle on it. I think crime is less than, or comparable, to what it was when I moved here in 2003.

Besides, downtown is just one area to reside; there are many from which to choose.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the answers guys. Ive been stuck in NC for 5 years and not happy with my surroundings. Looking for a big change like the OP.... just gotta make that bold jump.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Move To Pearland Texas 12 Miles From Downtown Houston. Half Of The Medical Related Professionals Reside Here.
Appreciate 0