BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Dinan vs ESS tune

Hey guys,

So I noticed there was an absence of dinan information running around this thread, so I wanted to ask if anyone had the dinan tune, or if anyone from ESS knows the difference between the two. I'm especially intrigued since it's the cheapest tune available and it would be covered under warranty.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
dinan is a little more conservative from what i have gathered. i would honestly choose another vendor but if warranty is a concern just stick with dinan to sleep well at night
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
I just ordered ESS with ACM Test Pipes!!!
      02-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I had two Dinan tunes and now a ESS tune.

First off, the Dinan tune is not covered under the BMW warranty. Dinan has its own warranty that replaces the BMW one. Depending on the dealership and your SA and tech this can be a hassle if you need to use it.

In terms of performance it is hard for me to make a comparison since I added the ESS tune when I got the blower. But I had a couple of issues with the Dinan tune during cold start-ups... it would through a CEL code from time to time. Never gotten a code with the ESS tune.

Last, the ESS tune allows me to pass inspection with the cat-less x-pipe. In NY you'll pass with only one stored fault code. A cat less system (even with a tune) will normally store two codes, making it impossible to pass.

So I say ESS all the way.

Hope that helps.
Refreshing to hear from one's actual experiences instead of a popularity contest.

Thanks for sharing.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:

First off, the Dinan tune is not covered under the BMW warranty. Dinan has its own warranty that replaces the BMW one. Depending on the dealership and your SA and tech this can be a hassle if you need to use it.

In terms of performance it is hard for me to make a comparison since I added the ESS tune when I got the blower. But I had a couple of issues with the Dinan tune during cold start-ups... it would through a CEL code from time to time. Never gotten a code with the ESS tune.

Last, the ESS tune allows me to pass inspection with the cat-less x-pipe. In NY you'll pass with only one stored fault code. A cat less system (even with a tune) will normally store two codes, making it impossible to pass.

Hope that helps.
strange that you had issues with your tune. I've had it since it was first available and have had no issues. I also updated to the stage two tune since I'm catless and have yet to have any issues
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:

Hope that helps.
I second. I have the Dinan mid and rear exhaust and got the tune and loved it. It is conservative but I did care about stretching the cars limits..... Then I got the ESS Super Charger lol. And love it.

B4 you get a tune find out what your plans are for the car in the future. My point is I waisted my money on the 1st tune since I ended up SC'ing the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've been thinking of the full Akra and leaning to the Dinan tune.

The main reason for me is warranty. I understand that the Dinan warranty is not factory, but it's supposed to be very good. Also with Dinan being partners with BMW (maybe a little less now), I figure that BMW is not going to hassle you as much if there is potential problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
I've been thinking of the full Akra and leaning to the Dinan tune.

The main reason for me is warranty. I understand that the Dinan warranty is not factory, but it's supposed to be very good. Also with Dinan being partners with BMW (maybe a little less now), I figure that BMW is not going to hassle you as much if there is potential problems.
Our BMW dealer in town does not like to deal with Dinan cars so it wouldn't matter. With the Hex flash tool like VF Engineering's you can always flash the car back to stock at any time so your warranty won't be affected.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@PRS View Post
Our BMW dealer in town does not like to deal with Dinan cars so it wouldn't matter. With the Hex flash tool like VF Engineering's you can always flash the car back to stock at any time so your warranty won't be affected.
True, you can flash back to stock, but BMW is going to be able to see how many times the car was flashed. I would think that warranty is going to be voided- correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a case of a 911 where warranty was denied because the car was previously flashed. The ECU's are probably different than BMW's, but Porsche was able to see that it was previously tuned even though it had the stock flash on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

My differential bolt snapped and the diff nearly fell out. I had bolt ons (dinan pulley, intake, ESS tune, MPE exhaust), but was fully covered under warranty as there was no evidence of abuse. Someone from BMW NA came out and took a look at the car (and presumably the ECU, given every other story about diff issues) and gave it a clean bill of health. I did flash back to stock using the portable ESS FlashLoader (highly convenient and can keep in your glove compartment) prior to being towed into the dealer.

Quote:
True, you can flash back to stock, but BMW is going to be able to see how many times the car was flashed. I would think that warranty is going to be voided- correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a case of a 911 where warranty was denied because the car was previously flashed. The ECU's are probably different than BMW's, but Porsche was able to see that it was previously tuned even though it had the stock flash on it.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 02-07-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
I don't think any tech will just look for that. If there is a serious warranty claim I'm sure they'll pull the shadow memory though.

Yes, in my case I passed NY inspection with the ESS tune. You pass with one stored code, fail with two. The tech plugged it into the DMV system, and only one stored fault code was found, so the system issued the new sticker.

That was with the ESS tune, SC, Dinan mid-pipe, and Eisenmann Race. Please note, the second you pull into the dealership or any state inspection facility they'll know what is going on when you run a full exhaust. Although the DMV system can be "fooled", a visual inspection will give you an automatic no-go. Besides the sound and smell is a dead giveaway.

So basically the tune in regards to passing the state inspection is just the last box that gets checked.
The place where my car gets inspected, they dont give two shits about smell or a visual inspection.
Still would like to know if BPM tune allows ny inspection to pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
Rep

You do not have BMW warranty with Dinan parts or software. Most dealers put Dinan mods in the same basket with any other aftermarket mods. I would much rather just re-install my original software thru the ESS E-Flash when I go in to the dealer and have my factory warranty than deal with Dinan VS BMW. I have gone in several times for service and warranty work and I always just reflash to my original stock file.

Dinan also has no remote tuning options so you have to take the car to a Dinan dealer whenever you need a change, update or reflash. For me this alone is a deal breaker. There is also far less in options with Dinan software like Valet mode, Cold start delete etc... That being said I would trust my car with Dinan if there was not a better option available but there is.

Performance = ESS tune
Options= ESS tune
Ease of installation= ESS tune
Warranty= ESS tune
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If he is planning to run the Evo system he'll run into warranty issues anyway if he encounters a SA or manager that is a dick about it. Flashing it back to stock will give him a whole other set of issues with the dealer if he is rocking a CEL.
All you have to do is clear the faults prior with the Hex tool for CAT fault codes. It takes about 15-20min of a drive cycle for it to trip the light again. No reason for the dealer to drive the car for that long unless you have a serious problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The technicians can not see that at the dealership, only BMW regional engineers may see that, but if they can't prove the tune is physically on the vehicle they are not legally aloud to void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Refreshing to hear from one's actual experiences instead of a popularity contest.

Thanks for sharing.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
Brian@MWP
Private
United_States
Rep

ESS all the way Dinan is a great product don't get me wrong, very reliable. When it comes down to POWER ESS all the way and to be honest I haven't ran into or herd of any issues with the ESS tune!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Now back on topic.

I had the Dinan stage 1 and stage 2 tunes on my M3 before getting the ESS Supercharger. I really liked both Dinan tunes and they definitely provided more power. I never had an error code from either of their tunes. They drove smooth and had some added power when I wanted it. I was wanting more power so that is why I went with the ESS Supercharger.

Now that being said, ESS did dyno my M3 before putting the supercharger on and for fun they put their own tune on my M3 and dyno'd. They made about 15hp-18hp more than the Dinan tune. Keep in mind that this was only for fun as they were installing the Supercharger on my M3 later that same day.

In summary, Dinan has always been a little more conservative with their products, but their power increase numbers are accurate. Keep in mind that Dinan has to warranty all their products so that factors into the cost and into the level of power increase that they feel comfortable with. Of the two tunes Dinan vs. ESS, the ESS will make more power for sure. Their support has been second to none for me, even with my 1M.

I hope this helps you out with your decision.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

TO ALL TUNERS:

Please stick to talking about your own company, products, or services only.

And please keep the discussions technical in nature.

Violations of these rules will result in deletion and/or infraction.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Thank you!
I encourage members to report any posts violating these rules.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I encourage members to report any posts violating these rules.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

One important thing to consider IMO is the history of the tuner. Dinan has been around for so long and is top notch no doubt. I know their warranty stuff with BMW is a bit different now but the fact that BMW did warranty their parts speaks volumes about their products. Even their warranty now is still outstanding. The history and quality of Dinan is unsurpassed. They are BMW's "go to" tuner! They have always been ranked number one in my book and many others. It's not only about the power or numbers a product puts out. As a company, it is VERY hard to put anyone ahead of them!

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0