BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
michaelt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW M3 coupe 6MT

Dinan Upgrade Report

On my 2011 E92 6 MT, ( mineral white) I just did the Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Engine Software upgrade, and Underdrive pulley kit upgrades.
Granted I only have 600 miles on it so haven't taken it past 4500 RPM's but WOW it really feels like a different vehicle with regards to the throttle response.
Now Dinan says " Changes to the throttle mapping help soften throttle tip-in for a sportier feel and improved modulation capabilities" with regards to the Software upgrade on their website.
Anyone that has done these upgrades, which modification of the three mentioned am I sensing, because when I accelerate and shift it is a different feel than the stock M3 and this is my second E92 M3.
Of course the Dinan sound might be part of the equation, but it is really more a throttle response.
Any feedback here from others with experience would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt View Post
Now Dinan says " Changes to the throttle mapping help soften throttle tip-in for a sportier feel and improved modulation capabilities" with regards to the Software upgrade on their website.
I think what you're feeling is the throttle response. On a 6MT the "Power" button provides either normal or sport. Normal gives you a real gentle tip-in which is great for highway or casual driving. On the other hand, sport has a very aggressive throttle tip-in - almost jumpy - great for stoplight drag races. For performance driving (back road twisties) throttle response in normal is to slow while sport is too fast. Dinan's setup kind of puts it in between. It allows a more controlled yet responsive feel for better control to carve those corners - at least in MHO.

Last edited by DBH; 08-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Sorry, forgot to mention - once you have Dinan software installed you will no longer have the factory sport setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Nice mods! I had them as well... what you are mostly feeling is the software coupled with the new sound of the exhaust. [You won't really feel the pulley below 6-7 rpm's... and the power gain from the free-flow exhaust is minimal. However, it does make for a nice package. You should get the air intake as well, since it will complete the package, after that get the Dinan x-pipe and be really amazed - very nice power bump.
+1.....you are feeling the software but you are cheating yourself by not getting the intake. Also, once you get through your break in period, you feel the pulley closer to 5k.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
I think what you're feeling is the throttle response. On a 6MT the "Power" button provides either normal or sport. Normal gives you a real gentle tip-in which is great for highway or casual driving. On the other hand, sport has a very aggressive throttle tip-in - almost jumpy - great for stoplight drag races. For performance driving (back road twisties) throttle response in normal is to slow while sport is too fast. Dinan's setup kind of puts it in between. It allows a more controlled yet responsive feel for better control to carve those corners - at least in MHO.
If you think the throttle response is quick, I guess you don't have the Competition Package. Through the M drive, you can set it to "Sport Plus" - even more responsive. Pretty ridiculous, actually. I drive in Sport off the highway most of the time, because it is just easier to rev match down shifts.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

throttle response

Don't confuse power setting (wich is just a change in ratio of how far throttle moves and what % of full throttle signal is delivered) and throttle response wich can be explained as the minimization of lag between pressing the gas pedal and the car moving faster as well as the linearity of this response.

Have your Dinan mods plus intake and yes they improve throttle response by my definition.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

For those with the pulley mod, what exactly are the differences your noticing? I had one guy tell me he didn't like the feel.
      08-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
If you think the throttle response is quick, I guess you don't have the Competition Package. Through the M drive, you can set it to "Sport Plus" - even more responsive. Pretty ridiculous, actually. I drive in Sport off the highway most of the time, because it is just easier to rev match down shifts.
I have the competition package. What I don't have is i-drive. No "Sport Plus" or M drive available to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
michaelt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
+1.....you are feeling the software but you are cheating yourself by not getting the intake. Also, once you get through your break in period, you feel the pulley closer to 5k.......Phil
I was out of town and couldn't respond to these feedback's to my post. Thanks for the input.

It feels more responsive in either setting to me. ( M mode sport etc vs non M mode)

I want the air intake but it says "race only" on the Dinan site and I am worried about passing inspection in NY.

Any thoughts on the Dinan air intake upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt View Post
I was out of town and couldn't respond to these feedback's to my post. Thanks for the input.

It feels more responsive in either setting to me. ( M mode sport etc vs non M mode)

I want the air intake but it says "race only" on the Dinan site and I am worried about passing inspection in NY.

Any thoughts on the Dinan air intake upgrade?
The intake isn't race only....the mid-pipe is "race only".........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
michaelt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
The intake isn't race only....the mid-pipe is "race only".........Phil
Not according to the Dinan website

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D760-0...ke.aspx#page=1
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

In the past the intake description did not state race only at least when I got them. I initially did the pulley's, intake, exhaust and software as well. After having these mods for around 6 months I then added the middle race exhaust. Great power boost and sounds very good. I can't tell you how many times I have had compliments about the sound.

My next addition will be to change the differential to 3.62. I have driven one with it and again a very noticable change. Possible not the best if you track it alot as the high end of the stock dif is quite well balance at higher speeds.

I have zero issues and great support from my local Dinan dealer.

Last edited by ASU; 01-12-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
congrats, jealous of the dinan exhaust, my favorite sounding one
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Dude, air intake is NOT race only... why would it anyway? You'll pass any inspection with that thing... it is an air intake for crying out loud. Mid-pipe is race only...
My thinking is probably similar to Michaelt. If the intake is now labeled as "race only", it will not be covered under the full Dinan warranty (which I would rely on for simple peace of mind). In turn, potential issues or damage (I know the chances are slim to none from just an intake) may not be covered by either the BMW warranty or the Dinan warranty. Then what?

If I'm not mistaken, the intake was NOT labeled as race only a short while ago, and it was changed to a race only product recently. I just submitted an inquiry into Dinan about this - I'll see what they say in return.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has to be a mistake right? I mean the line "race only" is regarding to emissions... how would the air intake effect emissions?
+1.....this has to be a mistake.................Phil
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Air filters do not change or dictate your emissions.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Emission Status Racing only product
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

I'm still awaiting response from Dinan...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
jrutig
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Very cool!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

OK, so I've received clarification from Chris McNaughton at Dinan.

My question to Dinan:
I would like to inquire as to the Dinan warranty status of the E90 M3 carbon fibre air intake. I believe this used to covered under the Dinan comprehensive warranty, but it is now listed as a racing only product. If I'm correct, was there a specific reason for this change? Were there issue with a bmw warranty? This will definitely affect my decision to add the intake to my M3 with the Dinan software. Thank you for your help.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Chris MacNaughton <chris.macnaughton@dinancars.com> wrote:

It has nothing to do with warranty, only emissions status. It maintains our standard warranty. Only products that have a part number beginning with “R” are not covered under our comprehensive plan.

Regards,
Chris

So it looks everything's fine for us worrying about BMW/Dinan warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Of course an inta effects emissions. On other BMW's they used to and still do come with a charcoal filter that sits in front of the air filter. This decreases gases from seeping out the intake at idle or shutoff. However it blocks airflow 99 percent of the time.

A freeer flowing air filter and design is going to let more reverse gases out during idle and shut down which is unburned gases stuck in the cylinders which never get expelled out the exhaust valves. So yes air filter can effect emissions or overall CO2 into the enviromenet as its CO2 that seems out hence putting a "carbon filter" on their filters for most bmw's

Not enough gases go back out when the engine shuts off to effect emissions. Thus no State by law requires the measurement of gases coming back out of intake when engine shuts off. Plus there is a butterfly that closes to keep things in or out when engine shuts off.

All emissions are measured through exhaust.

The reason that intake filter has charcoal, is so you dont have to replace it as often.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
Not enough gases go back out when the engine shuts off to effect emissions. Thus no State by law requires the measurement of gases coming back out of intake when engine shuts off. Plus there is a butterfly that closes to keep things in or out when engine shuts off.

All emissions are measured through exhaust.

The reason that intake filter has charcoal, is so you dont have to replace it as often.
Well that is just wrong-do some reading.
Then why do auto parts stores sell engine air filters for all cars with no charcoal?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no regulation on a charcoal filter-heck some bmw's dont even have them but especially in europe it is just an extra way to cut down CO2 measured emissions that much more so they can advertise lower co2 numbers

Not everything is done due to regulations since a lot is advertising and sales being able to say your CO2 level is below XYZ.
I just talked to a tech.

The main reason why filter has charcoal, is to absorb moisture during engine break in. It has nothing to do with emissions.
Appreciate 0