BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

BPM

09-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Manual

Ticked for 88 in 55 in Illinois

on 88 west toward naperville, where everyone goes at least 75. cop gave me a ticket. In illinois now 31+ is a class b misdemeanor. I hired a lawyer; does anyone know what I should expect to end up with?

In illinois a class b misdemeanor is punishable by jail and a $1,500 fine but I wasnt arrested...cop let me go after giving a ticket.

Anyone have a similar experience here in illinois? No tickets on my record since 2009.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
cposk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 IB M3 (E90) , 12 X5d

I don't know about Illinois, but you already did the right thing and got a lawyer. I had a 26 over in VA, which is also a misdemeanor, and I did not hire a lawyer.

The judge barely even let me speak, ended up getting convicted, $1000 fine and lost my license for 3 months... He said consider myself lucky I wasn't in jail for the next 3 months as he could have put me in there for a year.

Oh and this was the first and last ticket to go on my record. I had to list it on all of my job applications as a convicted crime, luckily most MD companies laughed when they saw it.

Ask your lawyer what to expect.
      09-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Attorney will probably know it down to a regular speeding ticket. I'm not sure about Naperville but where I live with a attorney 95% of the time the judge will take it right off your record unless it's 100mph +
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

similar thing happened to me last year. got a ticket for 77 in a 45 zone (32 mph over the limit). I had a clean driving record (as far as the prosecutor could find, anyway), and I had a good attorney. in any case, here's what happened with my ticket

1. amended it to 29mph
2. fine was reduced from something like $350 down to $130
3. judge allowed me to get "supervision," which for the small cost of $50 or something, has them wipe the ticket from your record so long as you don't get another moving violation within 1-year

I just looked at my receipt, and all in all, I ended up paying the courts $215 and my attorney $200. not a bad deal considering the ticket was only slightly less than that and I ended up having the ticket wiped from my record. be sure to get an attorney. it's a totally f'd up judicial situation, but it will work in your favor. basically what will happen is you will meet your attorney in court, he will meet with the prosecutor before the session starts and strike a deal, then the court will go in session and you, your attorney and the prosecutor will present the plea-bargain deal before the judge. best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Manual

Thanks that helps a ton!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
The judge barely even let me speak
The two biggest mistakes you can make (and most people do) are:

1) Dont hire an attorney
2) Go in front of a judge and plead guilty without an attorney

Its unfortunate, but you have a play their game and hire representation. Does is cost some money up front? Yes. Is it much easier on you in the long run? Absolutely.

NEVER, I repeat NEVER...NEVER go in front of a judge without an attorney and never plead guilty. You are setting yourself up for what ever the prosecutor throws at you.

I've learned many times from experience!
Appreciate 0