BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daheechang View Post
new widebody wrx's are so beautiful
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Get a Mitsubishi Lancer ES 6MT (only 143 hp). It's fun and that engine can take a beating. I find it stylish, fun to drive, and cheap. It won't excel at anything but you can redline it and putt around at 45 or take it up to 120+ in 5th. I have the same problem as you with speeding and it's cost me quite a bit as well... The less power, the more fun! But it's got to be an MT.
      06-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

whats wrong with the fj your driving...here was mine on DPE's

not to mention the fun and comradery I had in it

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #26
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

If you are fine with FWD (and it seems you are ok with it) get the GTI. The feeling of solidity means that it is a very well made car. I own a MKV VW GLI (sedan form of gti) and I have had absolutely no issues and find that VW dealerships are about as satisfying as a dealership experience can be. The engine can be woken up with a tune cheaply if you find your self dissatisfied with the power. I find the interior quality to be way ahead of the competition. Drove a 2dr MKVI and the interior is even better. The shifter on the 6sp is phenomenal, feels just perfect. Again, with regular maintenance this car has been a dream to own.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #27
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
I kind of want a Countryman S/4S...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I go faster in my GTI then 135. Love the car....only recomandation dont keep it long time(Im a long time vw/audi driver) coilpacks,peeling interior, blown cd players etc will eventually strike once the car passes it 3rd-4th year.

But with that being said Im considering trading back to a japanese as a DD. Sick and tired of lousy reliability from euro cars(sensors, reprogram etc)...you dont get those with japanese cars. Yes warranty exists but its a pain. As you go older I tend to have less patience to go to the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 06-21-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Mini cooper had poor reliability. Not sure if they have addressed them in the newer models.
      06-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #30
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Mini cooper had poor reliability. Not sure if they have addressed them in the newer models.
cnet tested a Countryman last month and it broke down during the review.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #31
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I drove a Dooper Clubman for 2 years without any problems, I just traded it in for a Dooper Countryman, it's a great car, handles well, looks different to anything else on the road, plenty of space, the kids love it, quality isn't a problem, about the same build as a 1 series but not as ugly. All said and done I'm a satisfied owner, I must like MINI since this is my 4th.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #32
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

You're considering a new beetle but the Mini Cooper S is too cutesy for you? I'm not trying to offend you but I don't understand that..
I'd probably take a Cooper S or the gti though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #33
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Get it and sell me your FJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
You're considering a new beetle but the Mini Cooper S is too cutesy for you? I'm not trying to offend you but I don't understand that..
I'd probably take a Cooper S or the gti though.
this
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #35
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The FJ Cruiser is my brother's, not mine. It's on borrowed time, so I need to find something soon. Despite that, I couldn't see myself owning one for a long time considering it's rather boring on the road; steering's too light, ride's too sloppy, accelerator and brake pedals too spongy.

The Cooper S is way too cutesy. The New Beetle is far more masculine, and you'll all realize that once they're on the road. I'm not one for marketing spiel, but VW has been using the word "masculine" non-stop in their press breakdown.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ Get what you like but myself, and others it seems, see the VW as more of this cutesy classification than the MCS. Some see a MINI as this but people that know the car see it as "the little go kart".

A guy at my office building just bought a silver MCS and had the two piece wheels, forget the style number /same on mine, painted black leaving the lip stock steel and it looks sweet.

I could give a flying flip what classification people may put on a car and it's owner..
MINI
Ferrari
Scion

on and on.

I got my 08 MCS for several reasons but the deal sealer was the fun to drive factor it gives me. The transmission is great.
Cheap? No. Worth 27K to me? Yes.
The free service is nice. Resale is strong.

With all this blah blah blah said I am having dreams of a Panamera Turbo or Cayenne Turbo.

Get what makes you smile.
      06-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #37
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Both my parents are on their second Mini's. My dad had one of the first MCS's and my mom an 06 Cooper Cabrio. They are now on an 09 MCS JCW and my mom just got her 11 Countryman S 4-All. They've both been great cars, although just recently my mothers HPFP died on her and it's at the dealership waiting on a new one to arrive from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #38
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Both my parents are on their second Mini's. My dad had one of the first MCS's and my mom an 06 Cooper Cabrio. They are now on an 09 MCS JCW and my mom just got her 11 Countryman S 4-All. They've both been great cars, although just recently my mothers HPFP died on her and it's at the dealership waiting on a new one to arrive from Germany.
Oh no!
BMW has crept into the MINI lineup.

I never thought I would have a MINI. Never really noticed them as something I would one day like to have.
Turned in the 335 and walked past the MINI lot. A week later I had it and will probably always have one around. I can't say that about BMW however.
Maybe one day I will give them another shot but no time soon.
The three BMW' before the 335 were great vehicles.
      06-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #39
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

The MINI drives well for a FWD car but the interior kills it. It also isn't cheap for a good one with options.

What about an MX-5?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^ Get what you like but myself, and others it seems, see the VW as more of this cutesy classification than the MCS. Some see a MINI as this but people that know the car see it as "the little go kart".

A guy at my office building just bought a silver MCS and had the two piece wheels, forget the style number /same on mine, painted black leaving the lip stock steel and it looks sweet.

I could give a flying flip what classification people may put on a car and it's owner..
MINI
Ferrari
Scion

on and on.

I got my 08 MCS for several reasons but the deal sealer was the fun to drive factor it gives me. The transmission is great.
Cheap? No. Worth 27K to me? Yes.
The free service is nice. Resale is strong.

With all this blah blah blah said I am having dreams of a Panamera Turbo or Cayenne Turbo.

Get what makes you smile.
It's really just the lack of hard lines and its diminutive size (which is a plus at the same time) that turn me off from the MCS. I like how the Countryman takes all of that design DNA then adds some definition and muscularity without coming off as overwrought. Also, as strange as this sounds, that little ribbon on the front fender is really cool to me lol. And I def agree with you about not giving a flying fuck about what others think about what I drive. I'd like to get in something a little more relaxed for a change. Once I'm done with this car (if I end up snagging the keys to one), I'll probably be looking at a used C63 coupe or E92 M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
HPFP wat srsly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Oh no!
BMW has crept into the MINI lineup.

I never thought I would have a MINI. Never really noticed them as something I would one day like to have.
Turned in the 335 and walked past the MINI lot. A week later I had it and will probably always have one around. I can't say that about BMW however.
Maybe one day I will give them another shot but no time soon.
The three BMW' before the 335 were great vehicles.
I'd love to catch the fun factor bug like that. My Bimmer has been great, and I'd love to hop back in another one, but I want to explore alternatives. I'm not glued to any single brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
The MINI drives well for a FWD car but the interior kills it. It also isn't cheap for a good one with options.

What about an MX-5?
The interior has been a concern for sure. My friend had an older Cooper (pre-FL) that he let me drive. Loved everything about it minus the obvious lack of S-trim benefits and that huge ass speedo in the middle. I checked out the Countryman's before I took off from the airport and I was surprisingly reassured after a little peek. Something about it doesn't piss me off. I also love the rail system down the middle, which has actually received a large amount of criticism from the journalists.

I can only assume MX-5s would be amazing, but I need the practicality of something with four seats. Would love to do a spec race with one of those at some point in my life.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #41
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

I saw one today in the same color combo and it wasn't that bad, but I can't see myself driving one!
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black

Last edited by pittsy; 06-23-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0