BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

OEM Exhaust Mod shop ACM style

Are there any shops here willing to do the newer OEM Exhaust Mod? The ACM style "straight pipe"? Or does anyone have any leads on which shops I should call?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Tuner1984
1 Stock M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Slow

Garage List
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reechar View Post
Are there any shops here willing to do the newer OEM Exhaust Mod? The ACM style "straight pipe"? Or does anyone have any leads on which shops I should call?
Call piper motorsports in sterling va and ask for Robbie. Tell him Patrick sent u.

Current: E46 M3
Retired: 2009 E90 AW M3
Retired: 2007 E90 AW 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I thought I saw vids ACM style on the forum, is it a bit too aggressive vs more conservative style? Anyways, I was trying to get a group buy on the OEM exhaust mod, I'm in process of obtaining an extra OEM right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I thought I saw vids ACM style on the forum, is it a bit too aggressive vs more conservative style? Anyways, I was trying to get a group buy on the OEM exhaust mod, I'm in process of obtaining an extra OEM right now.
let me know about that group buy, but as far as I know the ACM style is more agressive because it bypasses the absorption chamber completely.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
M-PIRE
Banned
Rep
Drives: IB M3 (?)

so far my research shows Benchmade will charge 400-450$ for it.
Pipe will charge 600$ for it and 700$ painted.
AutoCoture in NJ will do it for 399$ plus 150$ for installing and removing the existing.
so all in all Benchamde is the best price, but they are in Elkridge MD.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-PIRE View Post
so far my research shows Benchmade will charge 400-450$ for it.
Pipe will charge 600$ for it and 700$ painted.
AutoCoture in NJ will do it for 399$ plus 150$ for installing and removing the existing.
so all in all Benchamde is the best price, but they are in Elkridge MD.
Thanks! I was just about to get it done by Piper. But if I can shave $100 I might just have to make a trip out to elkridge. I've heard great things about both piper and benchmade...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i am trying to work with a shop to see if we can clearly do this for less than 400$ a pop. This really isn't a 4 hour job. It's more like 2 - 3 hours with the right tools.

Will keep you posted, i think quiet a few are interested in this mod if the price is right. A friend of mine did this in Florida for 200$ including all parts and labor, so 400$ isn';t some crazy unrealistic price i am thinking of.

Updates to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep

I'm about to get it done at Benchmade tomorrow. Apparently I'll be the first to get this mod done by them. I'll report in on my thoughts after I get the car back. I've heard great things about this shop so I don't mind paying a little extra for ease of mind knowing that they'll do a good job, and if they make a mistake they'll stand by their work and make things right. Not saying that shops that do cheaper work wouldn't... I just rather not take the risk to save a little that might end up costing big.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

let me know how it goes, i will be number 2 right after you get yours done then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Quote:
I'm about to get it done at Benchmade tomorrow...
What is the extent of the mods you are having performed? Just the surgery inside the muffler, or changing tips, painting, etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww///95 View Post
What is the extent of the mods you are having performed? Just the surgery inside the muffler, or changing tips, painting, etc?
Just the surgery inside the muffler. I already changed my tips myself. Not interested in painting the exhaust. My ride is lowered so no one sees anything besides my tips anyways.

Got the car back today. It is LOUD. I think it might be too loud for my DD...We'll see after a few days. I would say its almost as loud as my buddy's e92 M3 with full eisenmann.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Just the surgery inside the muffler. I already changed my tips myself. Not interested in painting the exhaust. My ride is lowered so no one sees anything besides my tips anyways.

Got the car back today. It is LOUD. I think it might be too loud for my DD...We'll see after a few days. I would say its almost as loud as my buddy's e92 M3 with full eisenmann.
Benchmade is near me..this could be a viable option for me. Please PM me how much it cost and who to talk to...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Tuner1984
1 Stock M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Slow

Garage List
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Benchmade is an awesome shops as well as piper can't go wrong with either.

Current: E46 M3
Retired: 2009 E90 AW M3
Retired: 2007 E90 AW 335i.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

wow that sounds too loud. I heard Karim's and it wasn't crazy loud.

Can i meet you up with you to hear yours? I live in herndon 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sweet!

Can you PM me contact/pricing details if you don't mind, or don't want to post wide open on the forum?

Btw, what tips did you install? The black OEM style?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
wow that sounds too loud. I heard Karim's and it wasn't crazy loud.

Can i meet you up with you to hear yours? I live in herndon 2.
Sure I wouldn't mind. PM me details, although I'll probably be busy until next week. If Karim is who I think it is, I believe he has the older OEM exhaust mod. I have the newer ACM style bypass method. I did mine this way because others have complained the older method was too quiet. I'd be curious to compare his side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww///95 View Post
Sweet!

Can you PM me contact/pricing details if you don't mind, or don't want to post wide open on the forum?

Btw, what tips did you install? The black OEM style?

I'd call Joe at benchmade. 410-852-4366. He did mine for $400. I actually think they probably took longer on mine, but gave me a break because I was the first to get this mod and there seems to be a lot of interest. He says they've gotten a few calls the last couple of days about it. I think they took longer because they took go-pro video shots of before and after. They also filmed the modification process. They'll be editing and e-mailing me the videos shortly...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Very cool. I'm anxious to see the video.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i have the older style mod (I had the Red M3 before)
i didn't want the newer style as i heard a lot of people saying it's too loud and it has more drone than mine
my car is my DD so i wasn't in the mood for the loud noise every day

we shoud all meet up and listen to both
sounds like fun
      01-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

i liked Karim's one. I do not want crazy Drone as i DD it as well. Plus have a little infant and i am sure she would like the less louder option.

It was probably me who called Joe at Benchmade. I will go to his shop soon to get it done.
Now the question is old OEM exhaust mod or the new one.

Raja
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep

My thoughts so far...

The ACM guys advertised it as "you can tell its not stock above 3k". It is dead quiet at idle, but you can definitely tell its not stock at about 2k IMO. I can drive around pretty stealthily if I shift around 2k...which is a complete PITA.

I actually love the sound of it. I am very picky with my exhaust notes and this one sounds amazing to my ears. It is very throaty and bassy. Not high pitched or raspy at all. I don't get why people like that sound. But everyone has their own opinions. In my opinion, all the videos I've seen of this mod does not do it justice. You pretty much have to hear it in person...

I haven't driven it too much yet. But I noticed drone going 70 in 6th. I've said this in another post, but I can either slow down to 60 or accelerate up to 80 and the drone goes away. I can also downshift and drive at 70 in 5th. I don't think I noticed any drone at other rpms but its not like I did too much testing.

I can't wait to go for a spirited drive to really hear what this exhaust is about. Even more so I'm excited to see how it sounds at the track.

It is certainly loud but very livable. I can turn up my radio and it'll drown out the exhaust. My big concern is attracting too much attention from the police. I'm already running with tints too dark, a radar detector, and no front license plate. I haven't gotten any tickets in the last year, but I'm kind of scared now.

A friend of mine in an E92 M3 has an eisenmann setup. I think my sound is comparable to that. I can't wait to show him because I feel like he will be kicking himself when he finds out how much I paid for mine...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My thoughts so far...

The ACM guys advertised it as "you can tell its not stock above 3k". It is dead quiet at idle, but you can definitely tell its not stock at about 2k IMO. I can drive around pretty stealthily if I shift around 2k...which is a complete PITA.

I actually love the sound of it. I am very picky with my exhaust notes and this one sounds amazing to my ears. It is very throaty and bassy. Not high pitched or raspy at all. I don't get why people like that sound. But everyone has their own opinions. In my opinion, all the videos I've seen of this mod does not do it justice. You pretty much have to hear it in person...

I haven't driven it too much yet. But I noticed drone going 70 in 6th. I've said this in another post, but I can either slow down to 60 or accelerate up to 80 and the drone goes away. I can also downshift and drive at 70 in 5th. I don't think I noticed any drone at other rpms but its not like I did too much testing.

I can't wait to go for a spirited drive to really hear what this exhaust is about. Even more so I'm excited to see how it sounds at the track.

It is certainly loud but very livable. I can turn up my radio and it'll drown out the exhaust. My big concern is attracting too much attention from the police. I'm already running with tints too dark, a radar detector, and no front license plate. I haven't gotten any tickets in the last year, but I'm kind of scared now.

A friend of mine in an E92 M3 has an eisenmann setup. I think my sound is comparable to that. I can't wait to show him because I feel like he will be kicking himself when he finds out how much I paid for mine...
You are right, how the exhaust sounds is personal. That's why i want to hear all before I make the plunge. I had exhaust before on another car and the drone made me hate it. So i want to make sure i am not doing the same.
PMed you my number, hit me up.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

We should do a mini cars & coffee!

Last edited by baarii; 01-05-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0