BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #45
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Can you still use the kickdown super downshift in manual DCT mode with a super charger? And why is it when you ask people what the cons of a SC are, this is not mentioned. I dont use AUTO mode, but if some reason I did, it would have been nice to know I cant punch it prior to buying one. Not cool.
No the super downshift method would cause the same problem. This has been mentioned as well as other things to look out for in a pretty lengthy thread that I think M33 started like a "dos and donts" list. It is very informative and was started quite some time ago I believe.

People probably don't mention this everytime the cons of a supercharger are asked as it probably doesn't affect them and they know it won't affect most people. Not too many guys looking for a blower are going to be the ones using Auto mode. Also, as it has been mentioned before most people probably don't really care to keep bringing it up, especially with how minor of an issue it is for most. Not trying to come off as rude but the first rule is to search and read as many previous posts about a topic one is concerned about. For any question that comes up over and over again you can't expect every single piece of information from past posts to make it there.

To be honest if someone was asking me pros and cons of a blower it definitely would be one of the last things I would think of, if at all.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #46
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316
Quote:
Can you still use the kickdown super downshift in manual DCT mode with a super charger? And why is it when you ask people what the cons of a SC are, this is not mentioned. I dont use AUTO mode, but if some reason I did, it would have been nice to know I cant punch it prior to buying one. Not cool.
No the super downshift method would cause the same problem. This has been mentioned as well as other things to look out for in a pretty lengthy thread that I think M33 started like a "dos and donts" list. It is very informative and was started quite some time ago I believe.

People probably don't mention this everytime the cons of a supercharger are asked as it probably doesn't affect them and they know it won't affect most people. Not too many guys looking for a blower are going to be the ones using Auto mode. Also, as it has been mentioned before most people probably don't really care to keep bringing it up, especially with how minor of an issue it is for most. Not trying to come off as rude but the first rule is to search and read as many previous posts about a topic one is concerned about. For any question that comes up over and over again you can't expect every single piece of information from past posts to make it there.

To be honest if someone was asking me pros and cons of a blower it definitely would be one of the last things I would think of, if at all.
Thanks for the reply...

I've not been able to find one thing about superchargers and DCT kickdown in manual mode on this forum until I saw this post.

That said, I use the kickdown feature all the time on the highway. To go from 7th to 3rd or 4th without kickdown takes forever and even with a supercharger, that's lame!

I'm totally over a supercharger because of this and it not liking auto mode. Which I don't even use. But if I'm paying 8k-16k for a blower, it better work with all of my cars features.

I was literally going to get a ESS kit until I found this thread. Bummed!
      05-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #47
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...

I've not been able to find one thing about superchargers and DCT kickdown in manual mode on this forum until I saw this post.

That said, I use the kickdown feature all the time on the highway. To go from 7th to 3rd or 4th without kickdown takes forever and even with a supercharger, that's lame!

I'm totally over a supercharger because of this and it not liking auto mode. Which I don't even use. But if I'm paying 8k-16k for a blower, it better work with all of my cars features.

I was literally going to get a ESS kit until I found this thread. Bummed!

Lol, clearly you've never driven a supercharged m3. You won't NEED to down shift from 7th to 3rd.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #48
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Lol, clearly you've never driven a supercharged m3. You won't NEED to down shift from 7th to 3rd.
He was going uphill
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #49
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post

Quote:
Here's the thread with the do's and dont's. Very informative indeed. Didn't know he was banned, though. Bummer.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788999
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #50
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post

Exactly!

Wait, so you aren't going to transform your car into a beast because it doesn't work in auto mode, which you claim to not use?

Regarding the kickdown feature, I don't think you realize how fast these supercharged M3s are. I used to be able to floor my NA M3 on the highway whenever I pleased. Now there better be a lot of room - enough room that dropping into a lower gear isn't an issue at all. Also, you will have no problem passing people in 7th gear which is kind of funny.

Drive a blown M3 and then make your decision. No offense but I think this may be the worst sole reason to not get a blower. I would be SHOCKED if you really decide against a blower for this reason after you drive one. Can't hurt my friend!

BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #51
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Yeah wtf m33 banned?

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #52
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Exactly!

Wait, so you aren't going to transform your car into a beast because it doesn't work in auto mode, which you claim to not use?

Regarding the kickdown feature, I don't think you realize how fast these supercharged M3s are. I used to be able to floor my NA M3 on the highway whenever I pleased. Now there better be a lot of room - enough room that dropping into a lower gear isn't an issue at all. Also, you will have no problem passing people in 7th gear which is kind of funny.

Drive a blown M3 and then make your decision. No offense but I think this may be the worst sole reason to not get a blower. I would be SHOCKED if you really decide against a blower for this reason after you drive one. Can't hurt my friend!

I've never been in a blown m3, but I love the kickdown feature. It's like going from 6th to 3rd in a manual. Has zero to do with Auto Mode.

I just think its lame that this was not mentioned to me after asking what are the issues if ANY and being told it drives like stock. Well if you can use kickdown or punch it in auto mode (which I don't care so much about myself, but what if my wife drives it) then that is NOT "drives like stock".

Call it what you want, but that's misleading to me. Plus they should figure out a way to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #53
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Here's the thread with the do's and dont's. Very informative indeed. Didn't know he was banned, though. Bummer.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788999
Ty.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #54
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've never been in a blown m3, but I love the kickdown feature. It's like going from 6th to 3rd in a manual. Has zero to do with Auto Mode.

I just think its lame that this was not mentioned to me after asking what are the issues if ANY and being told it drives like stock. Well if you can use kickdown or punch it in auto mode (which I don't care so much about myself, but what if my wife drives it) then that is NOT "drives like stock".

Call it what you want, but that's misleading to me. Plus they should figure out a way to make it work.

I'm kind of confused on who mislead you? Are you referring to the forum generally or a specific vendor? It's posted in the link above on the forum.

I guess if I used the feature a lot and a vendor didn't mention it if directly asked via phone/email I would be upset as that is their job. You can see from the lack of posts about it that it is a very minor issue that maybe a handful of people care enough about. Not saying that's an excuse for a vendor to not mention it but they definitely care about the bigger things.

Keep in mind that adding an aftermarket supercharger to an NA car is always going to have some minor issues. Some cars will have more issues than others regardless of the kit or installer. There are just a lot more things that can go wrong, although most are minor enough that no one bothers to discuss them. From minor belt fixes, software quirks, pulley swaps, boost leaks, etc. I think most s/c guys on here consider their cars to be problem free even if they experience minor issues which are corrected quickly and for little to no cost.
This is just part of the FI game on any NA platform. Hell some guys without gauges may never even realize they have a boost leak if its very minor and they don't dyno. If going FI be prepared for a little extra maint and care. It's well worth it!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #55
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

My DCT has auto!?? :
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #56
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I've asked both reseller and manufacture of a kit what the cons are and this was not mentioned at all.

That said, I did not specifically ask about kick down, but I asked if DCT was ok with the extra power and was assured it was. Yet no one made one mention of these issues. And when I'm told "it drives like stock" then I expect that to be true.

I'll have to go for a ride to in a car with a blower to see if its really not a big deal. Maybe its not. I dont actually use it every day, but its a nice feature to have.

I just saw another thread of a guy who dragged his dct twice with a 625 and from the sounds of it fried his clutches or something. That doesn't sound good.

Anyways... I think I'll research some more or buy something else. Maybe "beast mode" isn't for me...

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-07-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #57
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU
I've asked both reseller and manufacture of a kit what the cons are and this was not mentioned at all.

That said, I did not specifically ask about kick down, but I asked if DCT was ok with the extra power and was assured it was. Yet no one made one mention of these issues. And when I'm told "it drives like stock" then I expect that to be true.

I'll have to go for a ride to in a car with a blower to see if its really not a big deal. Maybe its not. I dont actually it every day, it its a nice feature to have.

I just saw another thread of a guy who dragged his dct twice with a 625 and from the sounds of it fried his clutches or something. That doesn't sound good.

Anyways... I think I'll research some more or buy something else. Maybe "beast mode" isn't for me...

Thanks for the info.
Logical. Maybe a 4.4 stroker would fit? I'd love to follow that build.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #58
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Do these things DCT rules apply to the the 540/550 kit as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #59
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Exactly!

I agree

There will not be a scenario where you will need to instantly go from 7th gear to 3rd with a supercharged M3 under WOT. In most cases you will drop one gear or two maybe but not four. With my VT1-550 kit my kickdown works fine but I never use it when im going WOT as the car is much better driven in manual mode. Your clutch life will also be better when you shift manually as auto mode slips the clutch a bit. Maybe with the higher HP cars kickdown in auto mode is more of an issue during WOT but even then just pull the paddle once or twice if needed and problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #60
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
I agree

There will not be a scenario where you will need to instantly go from 7th gear to 3rd with a supercharged M3 under WOT. In most cases you will drop one gear or two maybe but not four. With my VT1-550 kit my kickdown works fine but I never use it when im going WOT as the car is much better driven in manual mode. Your clutch life will also be better when you shift manually as auto mode slips the clutch a bit. Maybe with the higher HP cars kickdown in auto mode is more of an issue during WOT but even then just pull the paddle once or twice if needed and problem solved.

How can you use kickdown without going wide open throttle? As far as I understand, you cant? So are you saying kickdown works just fine with your kit?
      05-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #61
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
My DCT has auto!?? :
THIS!

I wasn't even aware of a "Kickdown" feature till a friend mentioned it to me recently. I still have yet to try it...i don't use D mode, so it doesn't matter to me.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Quote:

How can you use kickdown without going wide open throttle? As far as I understand, you cant? So are you saying kickdown works just fine with your kit?

I *think* he means his kickdown mode works fine when under WOT but he chooses not to use it. I'm I am wrong maybe he is referring to something other than kickdown mode? It is really easy to drive in 6th on the highway when wanting to me more aggressive and simply slapping the paddle twice when wanting that power to make others cry

If you take it easy in the auto mode you won't experience slip. This is at the highest shift setting I am speaking from. I'll play around with D a little bit today in a lower shift mode to see if that changes anything.

I totally understand the wifey concern. Honestly it is an issue that should be talked about a bit more as it has prevented me from letting friends and family drive my car who only use auto. I sit in the passenger seat terrified of feeling that slip lol. On the other hand, it works as a great excuse to not let some people drive my car. I simply tell them the auto mode doesn't function with the engine mods done, sorry

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #63
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
I agree

+1,000 on this.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I *think* he means his kickdown mode works fine when under WOT but he chooses not to use it. I'm I am wrong maybe he is referring to something other than kickdown mode? It is really easy to drive in 6th on the highway when wanting to me more aggressive and simply slapping the paddle twice when wanting that power to make others cry

If you take it easy in the auto mode you won't experience slip. This is at the highest shift setting I am speaking from. I'll play around with D a little bit today in a lower shift mode to see if that changes anything.

I totally understand the wifey concern. Honestly it is an issue that should be talked about a bit more as it has prevented me from letting friends and family drive my car who only use auto. I sit in the passenger seat terrified of feeling that slip lol. On the other hand, it works as a great excuse to not let some people drive my car. I simply tell them the auto mode doesn't function with the engine mods done, sorry
From what I understand the DCT kickdown in manual mode is: (Im not talking about auto mode kickdown where you blip the throttle and it drops a gear guys)

1.) throttle WOT, pass the indentation click spot.
2.) pull back on paddle.
3.) car will downshift to the lowest possible gear that isn't smacking redline.

If that still works, I would be happy. I dont use it much, but I really think its lame you can downshift two gears at once using the DCT feature it comes with. If a 6 speed manual can go from 6th to 4th, then we should be able to as well using the feature DCT comes with in manual mode. Being forced to downshift 2 gears back to back seems lame to me not being in a blown M3 yet.

So if at what point in HP does this become a problem on the DCT motors? Anyone know?

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-07-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #65
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
From what I understand the DCT kickdown in manual mode is: (Im not talking about auto mode kickdown where you blip the throttle and it drops a gear guys)

2.) pull back on paddle.

If that still works, I would be happy. I dont use it much, but I really think its lame you can downshift two gears at once using the DCT feature it comes with. If a 6 speed manual can go from 6th to 4th, then we should be able to as well using the feature DCT comes with in manual mode. Being forced to downshift 2 gears back to back seems lame to me not being in a blown M3 yet.

So if at what point in HP does this become a problem on the DCT motors? Anyone know?
Don, I don't think people are saying these features no longer work. They are saying that certain things (like WOT using auto mode) are so much harder on the DCT when you are supercharged running much higher torque values. The DCT is amazing, but much more fragile and needs to be treated this way or you are going to induce wear and perhaps blow clutches, etc.

If you don't want to change your mindset (i.e. keeping the DCT in manual mode), not using the "floorboard" method when launching from a stop, etc....then don't get a supercharger. It's that simple.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #66
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

2.) pull back on paddle.

I didn't know you could do this, I'll have to try it out.

Keep in mind, driving a blown M3 is a different world of power available at your fingertips. When going WOT, downshifting or trying to find the right gear is not near as important as holding the fuk on and hoping that you don't shit your pants. The level of power is just insane and redline comes so effin fast no matter what gear you're in.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0