BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #23
TurboPR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Can you go into more detail about blow off valves causing blown supercharger engines? This is the first I've read about that on this forum.

Also, I assume you mean the diverter valve and not a blow off as that's what comes with the kits.
It is basically the same one recycle the air to the intake the other one vent to atmosphere, there is a regulator screw to adjust the opening point for mechanicals if not electric. By adjusting the screw you change the manifold pressure. That is what's control your boost pressure. Is preset by the manufacture but you can adjust or it can fail. On my previous vehicle it was electronically controlled by the ECU. But I installed a boost gauge for piece of mind and also help to find if you are loosing boost due to a leack.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #24
Maxf80M3
Boost Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
As a casual observer of the supercharger threads, this seems counter-intuitive. Sounds a lot like turbo lag to me...
Boost builds as the RPM's rise with a centrifugal supercharger...

A very simple division between the two is low-end power that drops off with a positive displacement superchargers vs. linear power with a centrifugal type supercharger that increases with engine rpm. The linear curve from a centrifugal supercharger compliments an engine’s existing power band, instead of working against it like a roots or twin-screw. Another significant benefit is that the efficiency of a centrifugal is much higher, meaning a smaller amount of the work that goes into turning the compressor gets converted to heat with a centrifugal vs. a positive displacement supercharger, and especially so vs. a roots type supercharger. So it takes less energy to make power with a centrifugal, and the power that is created is much more usable power.

Here's an ESS-625 dyno showing the boost building - http://www.bigdynodatabase.com/DynoG...0068-DLSJ5.jpg
Thanks so much I've been looking for this info boost chart !!!!

The ess 625 does make boost at 3k rpm where it will depend is whether you are on the throttle or not .
      05-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxe93 View Post
Thanks so much I've been looking for this info boost chart !!!!

The ess 625 does make boost at 3k rpm where it will depend is whether you are on the throttle or not .
Correct, it does have boost, just very few poundage