BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Peter Lugers, world famous and worth it!
http://www.peterluger.com/ourlocations.cfm

Coney Island Nathans. You've had it before but this is the first and still the best. Check out the Cyclone while there.

Yup great steak, if it is in your price range i really advise reservations in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
I and many culinary experts beg to differ. NYC has some of the best Steakhouses going. Heres one list of some of the top contenders.
http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurant...teakhouses.htm
Sparks has the added bonus of the joint where Mob Boss Paul Castelano was rubbed out in front of by Gotti's boys.
My personal favorite, The Old Homestead. Lived nearby back in the early 90's and ate there a couple times a year, including my Honeymoon. The best dry aged steaks going. IMO.
Dont dismiss NYC Steakhouses. Everybody I know who visits has a favorite or two must go to's while here.

I live in Dallas, they invented cow here. I guess I'm just a bit spoiled. I have eaten at all but two on your list there and they were all good, but not spectacular. NYC just isn't the place for steak...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #26
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Places I never fail to have a good time at:

smith & wollensky
It's borderline the IHOP of steak
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Peter Lugers, world famous and worth it!
http://www.peterluger.com/ourlocations.cfm

Coney Island Nathans. You've had it before but this is the first and still the best. Check out the Cyclone while there.
Don't forget if your going to Lugars take about a grand in cash, or make sure to get their chargecard in advance. Again, there's so much amazing food in NYC that you CANNOT find anywhere else. Wasting time at a mediocre streak place just doesn't make sense. You want cow think Texas, Kansas or Chicago.. Although Bern's in Tampa, FL might be the best of all time...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Don't forget if your going to Lugars take about a grand in cash, or make sure to get their chargecard in advance. Again, there's so much amazing food in NYC that you CANNOT find anywhere else. Wasting time at a mediocre streak place just doesn't make sense. You want cow think Texas, Kansas or Chicago.. Although Bern's in Tampa, FL might be the best of all time...
Bern's is good. and their wine selection is crazy!
So it will be better to buy a week long subway pass? I think im going to go buy some new shoes also before I leave ha.

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron View Post
Bern's is good. and their wine selection is crazy!
So it will be better to buy a week long subway pass? I think im going to go buy some new shoes also before I leave ha.
Wait until you get there. 655 5th Avenue, New York
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
Alina
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 335i

Definitely get the week long pass. You gotta pay each time you transfer to a different metro and it all adds up especially if you plan on going back and forth (uptown and downtown). Just walk down the stairs to any metro entrance and pay at the ticket machine and you're good to go. Note: you also don't need to worry about extra money left over on the card if you were to buy passes individually.

And if your plane going back home is at JFK airport, cool thing is you can actually take the metro straight into JFK! If you've got an hour and a half to spare and don't mind sitting in the metro with your luggage, it saves so much money compared to taking a cab which could bill up to $40 depending on where you're at. When I did that, there were atleast 5 other people sitting in the same cart with luggage of their own so I didn't feel so stupid lol. But then again since you're going with more people it may be a better choice to use a cab? Eh.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #31
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I go every year for work and the 2 places I go to eat every time is the food cart next to the hilton on I believe 6th and 52nd. For some reason that cart is dif form all the other ones and around 9 the line is 75 people deep but there is a reason bc everything they give you is insanely good. And next I always go to mickey mantles, best mashed potatoes ever. Its at the end of 6th where it runs into central park, can't remember the cross street number. I actually leave a week from today.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
I live in Dallas, they invented cow here. I guess I'm just a bit spoiled. I have eaten at all but two on your list there and they were all good, but not spectacular. NYC just isn't the place for steak...
First of all, Cattle were imported from Europe. They were on the East Coast of America when Mexicans and Indians(not whites) were living in Texas eating whatever it is they ate. Cows were not invented there.
Secondly, there is plenty of beef raised in the East eating nice sweet green grass and not the dried up straw in drought plagued ranches that Tx is known for.
Thirdly, Delmonico, Porterhouse, New York Strip. These are all cuts of steaks named after NYC. You can try to convince youself that Tx is Gods gift to the cow but the worlds culinary experts know otherwise. Bon Appetit.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #33
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
First of all, Cattle were imported from Europe. They were on the East Coast of America when Mexicans and Indians(not whites) were living in Texas eating whatever it is they ate. Cows were not invented there.
Secondly, there is plenty of beef raised in the East eating nice sweet green grass and not the dried up straw in drought plagued ranches that Tx is known for.
Thirdly, Delmonico, Porterhouse, New York Strip. These are all cuts of steaks named after NYC. You can try to convince youself that Tx is Gods gift to the cow but the worlds culinary experts know otherwise. Bon Appetit.
pwned

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #34
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I go every year for work and the 2 places I go to eat every time is the food cart next to the hilton on I believe 6th and 52nd. For some reason that cart is dif form all the other ones and around 9 the line is 75 people deep but there is a reason bc everything they give you is insanely good. And next I always go to mickey mantles, best mashed potatoes ever. Its at the end of 6th where it runs into central park, can't remember the cross street number. I actually leave a week from today.
That's the famous chicken n rice stand. It's packed till 3 or 4 am every day. Get the mixed plate (chicken and lamb).

If you like that kind of food, check out Mamoun's in west village or st. Marks sq. I prefer the shawarmas over the unbelievably greasy chicken and rice plates.

Other good places to eat/drink:

1.) johns pizzeria, at bleeker and 7th ave
2.) mono+mono in west village - Korean fried chicken and delicious soju
3.) boat basin on west side highway and 79 th st. Great views and cool location
4.) Frying pan - old ship converted into a bar by Chelsea piers
5.) hurricane club - Murray hill - great food and drinks, amazing eye candy
6.) grimaldis - in Brooklyn close to the bridge. Astronomically long line but some of the best pizza and cheesecakes in the city

I can go on and on (and on and on). Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #35
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sigh... You're right... You win... I was being sarcastic, sorry that wasn't obvious enough for you... All I am saying is there's so much to eat in NYC that you cannot do better elsewhere that it's a shame to waste your time there eating something you can have equally or better elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #36
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
It's borderline the IHOP of steak
You sound like an insufferable prick. Glad I'll never run into you there
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #37
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkGrizz View Post
Williamsburg/Greenpoint/park slope/dumbo is popping these days , wht area of bk does she live in
At the Arias Slope Apartments.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Last edited by Nutballa; 07-24-2011 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #38
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
did anyone mention the Highline?
It is a beautiful raised park
http://www.thehighline.org/

Rare bar for an amazing view and a drink
http://www.rarebarandgrill.com/
(Also pretty yummy burger and fries downstairs

Bisous Ciao - http://www.bisousciao.com/ for macaroons for the gf or wife
If you come down here lmk I am close by so will take you for a beer

You guys covered pretty much everything...and I am not getting involved with the Steak house wars... its like choosing women everyone has their own tastes. I personally have been to 80 of 220 steak houses in NYC (150 of which are legitimate ones) and although my best recco for a tourist would be Lugers, I still return to Sparks, Dylan's Prime or Capital Grill for different reasons.

Enjoy the city at a nice pace...dont jam pack it, there will be plenty of other trips so dont ruin the trip with rushing all over the island and outside boroughs.
      07-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #39
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You sound like an insufferable prick. Glad I'll never run into you there
I'm actually not. I have just traveled the majority of the world eating what is likely the best food of every region I have been and I didn't find Smith and Wolinsky in NYC much better than the description I gave. If having an opinion after more gastronomic experience than most makes me a prick than so be it, but I assure you I'm a pretty nice guy. I just hate to see someone wind up in NYC on a trip and eat at mediocre places because of name recognition and miss all of the amazing things that you can get in NYC which are relatively hard to find outside of Europe..

I can live with being an insufferable prick if it's at the expense of the good advice I gave. Sorry you see it that way..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #40
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback1 View Post
did anyone mention the Highline?
It is a beautiful raised park
http://www.thehighline.org/

Rare bar for an amazing view and a drink
http://www.rarebarandgrill.com/
(Also pretty yummy burger and fries downstairs

Bisous Ciao - http://www.bisousciao.com/ for macaroons for the gf or wife
If you come down here lmk I am close by so will take you for a beer

You guys covered pretty much everything...and I am not getting involved with the Steak house wars... its like choosing women everyone has their own tastes. I personally have been to 80 of 220 steak houses in NYC (150 of which are legitimate ones) and although my best recco for a tourist would be Lugers, I still return to Sparks, Dylan's Prime or Capital Grill for different reasons.

Enjoy the city at a nice pace...dont jam pack it, there will be plenty of other trips so dont ruin the trip with rushing all over the island and outside boroughs.
It's pretty difficult to go wrong at Capital Grill: it's usually very consistent.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #41
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitselainee View Post
That line for the Halal Gyro is craaazy !! There must be a line of 20 people for hours and hours but they're pretty quick sooo the wait if worth it !! Now i'm huuungry and its only 800am in am !!!
fyi all the stands around them are their stands also so no need to line up on that one line. But to me the food isn't what it used to be. The meat is pretty much ground up now before it used to be eatable chunks of meat. There are much better halal stands than the one on 53 and 6th just have to get out of the city to get the taste.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #42
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
smoke session. whos down? lol
      07-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #43
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
I'm actually not. I have just traveled the majority of the world eating what is likely the best food of every region I have been and I didn't find Smith and Wolinsky in NYC much better than the description I gave. If having an opinion after more gastronomic experience than most makes me a prick than so be it, but I assure you I'm a pretty nice guy. I just hate to see someone wind up in NYC on a trip and eat at mediocre places because of name recognition and miss all of the amazing things that you can get in NYC which are relatively hard to find outside of Europe..

I can live with being an insufferable prick if it's at the expense of the good advice I gave. Sorry you see it that way..
Understandable. I too have dined in more countries than I can remember, and the fact of the matter is most cities of interest have SO much good food that you'll likely never experience all of it unless you live there...and even then...

I live just north of Chicago, and I've had steak in all the places you mention. (I also implore you to check out a few places in Wisconsin...) S&W both in Chicago and NY has always served me a consistently excellent meal. Almost everyone I talk to agrees, and there is definitely a "fuck NY steakhouses" sentiment with Chicago steak-eaters. NY can do steak just as well as Chicago, or Dallas. I've sampled many of the more "European" flavored offerings NY has to offer, and while I can definitely appreciate most of them, writing off their steak because there's a really good bistro a block over isn't really gonna cut it when your in the mood for a steak. So perhaps you had a bad meal there, or really just don't care for it. It's your opinion, though if you're seriously likening it to eating at an IHOP, you've either never been to one, or your compass is a little off...

Steak is something men will argue over to the death, but in the end, it's not hard to find a very good steak no matter where you are. The "big name" steakhouses got that way from serving a good fuckin steak, and while is seems some of them are coasting on their reputation (cough Sullivan's cough), I've never gotten that impression from S&W. When I'm paying $60-80 or so for a steak I find really good, I don't get much additional value from paying much more for one that's supposedly marginally better, or need to wait an hour and a half to be seated, or bring a g with me...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #44
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Understandable. I too have dined in more countries than I can remember, and the fact of the matter is most cities of interest have SO much good food that you'll likely never experience all of it unless you live there...and even then...

I live just north of Chicago, and I've had steak in all the places you mention. (I also implore you to check out a few places in Wisconsin...) S&W both in Chicago and NY has always served me a consistently excellent meal. Almost everyone I talk to agrees, and there is definitely a "fuck NY steakhouses" sentiment with Chicago steak-eaters. NY can do steak just as well as Chicago, or Dallas. I've sampled many of the more "European" flavored offerings NY has to offer, and while I can definitely appreciate most of them, writing off their steak because there's a really good bistro a block over isn't really gonna cut it when your in the mood for a steak. So perhaps you had a bad meal there, or really just don't care for it. It's your opinion, though if you're seriously likening it to eating at an IHOP, you've either never been to one, or your compass is a little off...

Steak is something men will argue over to the death, but in the end, it's not hard to find a very good steak no matter where you are. The "big name" steakhouses got that way from serving a good fuckin steak, and while is seems some of them are coasting on their reputation (cough Sullivan's cough), I've never gotten that impression from S&W. When I'm paying $60-80 or so for a steak I find really good, I don't get much additional value from paying much more for one that's supposedly marginally better, or need to wait an hour and a half to be seated, or bring a g with me...
Before you say anything, prepare to shut the fuck up.

/thread