BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Driver armrest question

So today I noticed that no matter how hard I try to avoid any wear on the leather, the driver armrest has some very minor/slight discoloration and wear right on the very edge (where the stitching is).

Does anyone know if having this resprayed by a leather guy is worth it? Anyone with the same issue? Should I replace the arm rest?

I've noticed that all light-colored BMW leather has a tendency to do this. It occurred to a prior car, even though I purchased brand new and had only driven it for about 6 months.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd replace it and perhaps apply your own top coat in dull urethane to keep it tough.

Try leather doctor for the top coats, they are impressive.
      08-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan
I'd replace it and perhaps apply your own top coat in dull urethane to keep it tough.

Try leather doctor for the top coats, they are impressive.
Thanks...it's really not noticeable unless you look very close and on the edge where it transitions from the horizontal surface where the I put my arm, to the vertical surface forwards the bottom of the door...that edge. I just want to stop the wear before it's noticeable.

Is the armrest swappable, or is it part of the door card?

Thanks! You're the interior master dude!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Thanks...it's really not noticeable unless you look very close and on the edge where it transitions from the horizontal surface where the I put my arm, to the vertical surface forwards the bottom of the door...that edge. I just want to stop the wear before it's noticeable.

You have to replace the entire bitch; which is good in a way, it is a pretty solid piece structurally.
      08-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You have to replace the entire bitch; which is good in a way, it is a pretty solid piece structurally.
The entire door card needs to be replaced? I think I'll wait until there's some true and noticeable wear...that's about $1000 a side through the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The entire door card needs to be replaced? I think I'll wait until there's some true and noticeable wear...that's about $1000 a side through the dealer!
You can try a leather dye/refinish kit. Leather doctor makes some pretty nice kits. What is your color?
      08-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can try a leather dye/refinish kit. Leather doctor makes some pretty nice kits. What is your color?
Bamboo beige...I find it that BMW's beiges are terrible at holding up. Surprisingly my 6 year old car has near perfect leather. In the past I owned another BMW with beige leather that I purchased new, and started showing bad wear in 3 months, even though I was always careful when entering/exiting the car, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Bamboo beige...I find it that BMW's beiges are terrible at holding up. Surprisingly my 6 year old car has near perfect leather. In the past I owned another BMW with beige leather that I purchased new, and started showing bad wear in 3 months, even though I was always careful when entering/exiting the car, etc
Hmmm, I've always had black. It might be a weaker top coat used for the non-black.

This stuff can come in dull, matte, satin and shine. If you do get it repaired, it might be looking into a tougher top coat.

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...-dsh-76/Detail
      08-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm, I've always had black. It might be a weaker top coat used for the non-black.

This stuff can come in dull, matte, satin and shine. If you do get it repaired, it might be looking into a tougher top coat.

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...-dsh-76/Detail
Cool, thanks!! Mine is not really needing repair (I think I would have a tough time trying to make sure it shows on pictures) but I will definitely keep the preventive care options in mind!
Appreciate 0