BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Unveils London 2012 Olympic Park Pavilion

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Unveils London 2012 Olympic Park Pavilion
COMMENTS

BMW Group unveils London 2012 Olympic Park Pavilion

The final countdown to London 2012 has begun and BMW Group today unveiled their Olympic Park Pavilion, expected to draw thousands of visitors each day of the Games.

Conceived by an award-winning British architecture firm, the BMW Group Pavilion represents a significant architectural addition to the Olympic Park, showing an exciting range of the company’s latest vehicles against the backdrop of the Olympic Stadium and Aquatics Centre. The structure also underlines the company’s longstanding commitment to design and sustainability with an array of individual rooftop pavilions exhibiting current models as well as concept cars of the future.

The Pavilion is light and open, appearing to ‘float’ on the river as water flows down the sides of the structure to create a constantly changing façade, whilst simultaneously accentuating its position on an elevated platform on the Waterworks River. The lower floor exhibition area is dedicated to the London 2012 Games fleet and interactive displays for guests to learn more about the BMW Group’s vision for the future of individual transport, its approach to sustainability and wider London 2012 partnership activities. These include how the Group has helped elite and aspiring athletes on their road to 2012 and brought improvements to the sporting world through technology. Also on display are prototype models including the BMW E-Scooter and the BMW i Pedelec concept – a recently announced concept electrically-assisted bicycle, and a new-look MINI Rocketman Concept, a revised version of the original Rocketman concept, first seen at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show. Inspired by London 2012 and paying tribute to our capital, the new MINI Rocketman has a Union Jack-inspired colour scheme.

In an intimate cinema space a special film is shown before an opportunity to view the upper floor product displays. The top deck, comprising of nine individual rooftop pavilions, displays current and future BMW Group vehicles including the BMW i3 Concept, the BMW i8 Concept and the new generation BMW 3 Series Touring.

Tim Abbott, Managing Director, BMW Group UK comments: “The role of the Pavilion is two-fold – to explain the support we’re providing as the Official Automotive Partner to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, but also to provide a powerful visual symbol of our commitment to the highest standards of innovation in design and sustainability. We look forward to welcoming visitors and guests to the BMW Group Pavilion throughout the Games.”

Water plays a central role in the Pavilion’s design. The Waterworks River provides the water, which is filtered and used to cool the building as it flows down the walls, before being returned to the river. The upper floor is surrounded by water, reflecting views of the Olympic Park and each of the rooftop pavilions has a distinctive, light roof and slender, straight columns, designed to complement other Olympic Park structures including the Velodrome.

Principal architect Christopher Lee comments: “As a British-based practice, we were delighted to be selected to work with BMW Group for the UK’s first Olympic and Paralympic Games since 1948. It’s not every day that one has the opportunity to work with a brand like BMW on such a global stage and we are proud that the finished result will be seen by thousands of people during London 2012.”

In line with BMW Group’s commitment to sustainability, the environment was a key consideration in the design of the company’s 800m2 Pavilion. As well as the filtering and recycling of the river water, steel with high recycled content provides the structural backbone and use of other carbon-intensive materials such as concrete has been minimised.

The BMW Group Pavilion will be accessible throughout the Olympic and Paralympic Games to all Olympic Park visitors and provides an opportunity for members of the public to learn more about the company’s latest innovations and role at the Games first-hand.

BMW London 2012 Olympic Park Pavilion

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
that's nice. They got water coming down the side of the pavilion
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Out of curiosity, how come BMW AG doesn't market Rolls Royce like they do the MINI brand? Whenever there's a media outing, it's always BMW + MINI.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Out of curiosity, how come BMW AG doesn't market Rolls Royce like they do the MINI brand? Whenever there's a media outing, it's always BMW + MINI.
Return on investment. I'd guess brand image also has something to do with it. It comes down to the type of people buying that particular product.

I highly doubt that they would get much out of advertising for RR (ever, let alone here). I certainly wouldn't expect them to highlight the fact that Mini is in the same family either.

It's like asking why there's little or no marketing for Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Return on investment. I'd guess brand image also has something to do with it. It comes down to the type of people buying that particular product.

I highly doubt that they would get much out of advertising for RR (ever, let alone here). I certainly wouldn't expect them to highlight the fact that Mini is in the same family either.

It's like asking why there's little or no marketing for Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.

It's BMW's new commitment to HYPE. From motorcycles to M1s to M packages to M4s and eventually an M for every number to 10. I hope the watering down of M stops at some point.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm View Post
It's BMW's new commitment to HYPE. From motorcycles to M1s to M packages to M4s and eventually an M for every number to 10. I hope the watering down of M stops at some point.
Wrong thread, we already discussed this matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Ya we have discussed this matter but I do agree that the ///M that we are use to is loosing its personality and integrity of having (///M) badge on the back of every other BMW there is... That being said, the structure itself looks incredible and the architecture work is phenomenal, in my personal opinon! BMW really does know how to make an impression, and with this structure for the Olympic games, a BIG impression! Congrats BMW for building a structure as beautiful and state of the art as this one!
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm View Post
BMW's position as vehicle supplier to London 2012 is not hype but also a good basis for generating future sales. Especially in regards to upcoming volume product being displayed for potential customers.
Also it gives a good launch pad to cement the BMW i cars into peoples mindsets. It will allow customers to become familiar with the all electric and futuristic i3 and i8. Which could also generate a new breed of BMW enthusiast.

BMW is a Global company that appeals to customers in a global market , the brand had to expand because more and more customers were looking for more than just the conventional. The same goes for M.
M. Had to expand to cover development and material costs , Every M-Sport Packet and every M model generates huge profits for BMW M.
And like BMW , M. has expanded to satisfy a global market and a market that has changed considerably including injection of new markets which bring in more profit than existing traditional markets.

Had M. or BMW not expanded the company would not have remained independent. Which is the BMW AG strategy to remain independent in a competitive market.

Let this be the end of such discussion because there will be no reversing.
And as I said in another thread Get over it... its been 10 years already!
      07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW's position as vehicle supplier to London 2012 is not hype but also a good basis for generating future sales. Especially in regards to upcoming volume product being displayed for potential customers.
Also it gives a good launch pad to cement the BMW i cars into peoples mindsets. It will allow customers to become familiar with the all electric and futuristic i3 and i8. Which could also generate a new breed of BMW enthusiast.

BMW is a Global company that appeals to customers in a global market , the brand had to expand because more and more customers were looking for more than just the conventional. The same goes for M.
M. Had to expand to cover development and material costs , Every M-Sport Packet and every M model generates huge profits for BMW M.
And like BMW , M. has expanded to satisfy a global market and a market that has changed considerably including injection of new markets which bring in more profit than existing traditional markets.

Had M. or BMW not expanded the company would not have remained independent. Which is the BMW AG strategy to remain independent in a competitive market.

Thanks for the clarification. But it would be nice to see some RR out there even if only 1% could afford to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

In regards to your defensive tone, HYPE is what it is HYPE. BMW has stepped up its budget for this area. Yes nice building, great. And yes nice store in Paris that I will go to when picking up F10M5 soon. Problem is , I believe the HYPE. Its not a bad thing except for putting M badges on everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
mike@Vossen
Rep

Very well done!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
undercover911
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs, Porsche

Nice. An overall futuristic interior look and some cool technologies represented.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

I'd wait all day in the rain for a chance to see this!