BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

RPi Ram Air, LED Angel Eyes, Matte Black Grill and AFe Filter

So I finally received all 4 items after waiting a week or so. Manage to allocate sometime last night and this evening to install all four modifications. I got my Matte Black Grill, AFe Filter, LED Angel Eyes and RPi ram air.

Thoughts:
The most time consuming to install was definitely the RPi ram air scoops, it was pain the ass to squeeze into the small grill opening, position your hands perfectly and screw the scoops into the plastic casing. The matte black grill was pretty easy and intuitive to install other than I had trouble getting the front bumper screw back on.. actually I only have the two middle ones back on because the on the sides are impossible to screw it back on. The tread refuse to catch the casing.. I definitely will have to bring that up to my maintenance people the next time I bring my car in. Other than that, the car is still fine now.

The LED angel eye was quite interesting because I had a bad feeling touching all the wiring when I first open the casing. But I manage to find the instruction on "how to replace your head lamp bulbs" in the owner's manual and went ahead with it. The result was.... okay.. honestly, I was quite dissappointed considering that I paid 110 for the LEDs.. I figured I might as well gone for the replacement bulbs. The reason why I am dissappointed is because the angel eye is not that bright.. as matter of fact, the yellow angel eyes on the stock bulbs seem to be brighter. However, I hated the yellowish angel eye and I am glad that now my angel eye is bright and white.

The matte black grill looks good, the car looks a lot cleaner now.

The AFe oiled air filter was also very easy to install. That took me 15 mins tops - compared to the 3 hours I spent scrambling to install the RPi scoops. In terms of improvement and changes to the feel of the car --- none as of now... I have drove it for a few hours and filled my gas tank up.

Will keep everyone posted when I feel any real changes. Going on up to the hamptons this weekend so I should definitely clock in some real miles.

Pictures are below, enjoy.

Last edited by noxredna; 10-10-2008 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: SORRY typo!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
So I finally received all 4 items after waiting a week or so. Manage to allocate sometime last night and this evening to install all four modifications. I got my Matte Black Grill, AFe Filter, LED Angel Eyes and RPi ram air.

Thoughts:
The most time consuming to install was definitely the RPi ram air scoops, it was pain the ass to squeeze into the small grill opening, position your hands perfectly and screw the scoops into the plastic casing. The matte black grill was pretty easy and intuitive to install other than I had trouble getting the front bumper screw back on.. actually I only have the two middle ones back on because the on the sides are impossible to screw it back on. The tread refuse to catch the casing.. I definitely will have to bring that up to my maintenance people the next time I bring my car in. Other than that, the car is still fine now.

The LED angel eye was quite interesting because I had a bad feeling touching all the wiring when I first open the casing. But I manage to find the instruction on "how to replace your head lamp bulbs" in the owner's manual and went ahead with it. The result was.... okay.. honestly, I was quite dissappointed considering that I paid 110 for the LEDs.. I figured I might as well gone for the replacement bulbs. The reason why I am dissappointed is because the angel eye is not that bright.. as matter of fact, the yellow angel eyes on the stock bulbs seem to be brighter. However, I hated the yellowish angel eye and I am glad that now my angel eye is bright and white.

The matte black grill looks good, the car looks a lot cleaner now.

The AFe oil filter was also very easy to install. That took me 15 mins tops - compared to the 3 hours I spent scrambling to install the RPi scoops. In terms of improvement and changes to the feel of the car --- none as of now... I have drove it for a few hours and filled my gas tank up.

Will keep everyone posted when I feel any real changes. Going on up to the hamptons this weekend so I should definitely clock in some real miles.

Pictures are below, enjoy.
Oil filter? You must mean the Air filter because AFE only makes an air filter for the e92 m3? Where are the pics? Which LED's did you install?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
noxredna
Captain
Rep

Yes.. sorry.. bad typo. Pictures were attached but had some problems. here they are!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
hankit
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Where did u get the LED angels from?

LET ME SHIFT *CLICK CLICK*
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

lOOks great bust doesn't the e92 m3 get incoming air from the driver side hood scoop??? Sorry im a 335 guy and these scoops seem like a 335 thing. I mean i guess it wont hurt to put more air into the engine bay but correct me if im wrong

Edit; just seen a detailed pic and i see it gets air from both direction FTW

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
noxredna
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankit View Post
Where did u get the LED angels from?
I got the LED Angels from Cyba, one of the posters here. I believe he is from dvisionwerks, they are located in Taiwan but they do give pretty competitive prices and in terms of shipping, they take less than a week.

So far so good, other than the I paid an amount for the LEDs thinking that it is going to be wayyy brighter than the stock.. I don't know how the GP Thunders are but if I have a choice I would probably order the replacement bulbs... don't quote me on this but I believe through looking at pictures from different threads on this forum that it gives almost the same results. I guess my LEDs will last longer - that's a plus.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
noxredna
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
lOOks great bust doesn't the e92 m3 get incoming air from the driver side hood scoop??? Sorry im a 335 guy and these scoops seem like a 335 thing. I mean i guess it wont hurt to put more air into the engine bay but correct me if im wrong

Edit; just seen a detailed pic and i see it gets air from both direction FTW
Yea, it does get air from both direction. Right hood vent and the front.

What the RPi scoops does is it rams or if you want to say squeeze/compress the air into the intakes. I actually turned on the car and put my hand around the intakes when the grill was taken off... you can feel a very strong suction.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Yea, it does get air from both direction. Right hood vent and the front.

What the RPi scoops does is it rams or if you want to say squeeze/compress the air into the intakes. I actually turned on the car and put my hand around the intakes when the grill was taken off... you can feel a very strong suction.
Yes I know what they do thank you and the cars looking great!

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Reincarnated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: new

Quote:
I got the LED Angels from Cyba, one of the posters here. I believe he is from dvisionwerks, they are located in Taiwan but they do give pretty competitive prices and in terms of shipping, they take less than a week.

So far so good, other than the I paid an amount for the LEDs thinking that it is going to be wayyy brighter than the stock.. I don't know how the GP Thunders are but if I have a choice I would probably order the replacement bulbs... don't quote me on this but I believe through looking at pictures from different threads on this forum that it gives almost the same results. I guess my LEDs will last longer - that's a plus.
You saying the LED Angels are equally as bright as the stock one? Any day pics?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
mike11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92

You're mods look good...just installed the RPIs, Matte Black Grills, AFE Filter and upgraded Angel Eyes too...took about 2 hours, 3 scraped knuckles, and 4 beers.

- Grills provide great contrast against the AW...worth it.
- As expected, can't tell if the RPIs increase power (even at autobahn speeds)...but it's cumulative...and the red looks good under the new grills...worth it.
- AFE...sound is a little deeper....cumulative power...worth it.
- Angel Eye Xenesis upgrade...modest increase in glow...will wait for the aftermarket to catch up.

I'll try to snap a pic in the daylight....and will post an update after I stretch the car out on the way to the Ring tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
f10mmmmm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quick question. I just got the RPi Ram Air scoops and want to install it soon. My question is this. After the bumper mounting screws are off, how hard can you pull/flex the top of the bumper to get behind the grill clips? I don't know how hard I can pull the bumper.

Thanks!
2002 BMW M3 Vert (Sold)
2003 Honda S2K (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
noxredna
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mdrei View Post
Quick question. I just got the RPi Ram Air scoops and want to install it soon. My question is this. After the bumper mounting screws are off, how hard can you pull/flex the top of the bumper to get behind the grill clips? I don't know how hard I can pull the bumper.

Thanks!
You actually have to pull it reasonably hard to get your hands behind to pull the grills out... it is a pain in the butt. The bumper is plastic so it feels pretty strong and flexible.. i was pretty nervous for a while when i pulled the bumper outwards but it was fine and it went back to its original position!
Appreciate 0