BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Odd squeaking noise when e-brake is pulled

I hear a very noticable, very reproduceable noise from the rear wheel / suspension (especially the driver side). This squeaking noise is produced when and ONLY when:

1) e-brake is pulled up
2) when I stand up / sit down

I took it to the dealership, at first they thought the noise came from the shocks, so they put in brand new shocks, but the noise is still there.

Since the noise is only heard when e-brake is pulled up, I suspect that the rear caliper is not clamping the rotor tight enough, leaving room for possible rubbing movements, hence the noise?

You guys care to pitch in and suggest possible causes (and solutions)?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

This is a common noise and not an issue/problem of any kind with your car. The M3 uses drum brakes for the parking brake, not the rear brake calipers/rotors. To prevent corrosion/rust build up on the drum and shoe pad material surfaces you need to regularly clean the surfaces by applying the handbrake (lightly) while driving.

If you want to test this the next time you park, on a flat surface, do not apply the handbrake and then see if your car makes the noise when you "stand up/sit down".
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes
This is a common noise and not an issue/problem of any kind with your car. The M3 uses drum brakes for the parking brake, not the rear brake calipers/rotors. To prevent corrosion/rust build up on the drum and shoe pad material surfaces you need to regularly clean the surfaces by applying the handbrake (lightly) while driving.

If you want to test this the next time you park, on a flat surface, do not apply the handbrake and then see if your car makes the noise when you "stand up/sit down".
So what you are suggesting is that everyone else on the forum has at some point, or could be experiencing the same issue.

Not doubting you or anything, but I find it difficult to understand why BMW would use such a low end technology for the e-brake, when my previous Nissan used disc brake for this purpose.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
So what you are suggesting is that everyone else on the forum has at some point, or could be experiencing the same issue.

Not doubting you or anything, but I find it difficult to understand why BMW would use such a low end technology for the e-brake, when my previous Nissan used disc brake for this purpose.
Yes. I have a '09 and '12 and they BOTH "squeak" when the handbrake is engaged. My e46 M3 and 330 also "squeaked" when the handbrake was applied.

Again, why don't you see if your car still "squeaks" when you get in/out if the handbrake is not engaged?

Why is it low-end tech? If you engage the handbrake does it prevent the car from moving forward even if you apply the throttle? I know you have issues with the single-piston sliding caliper, however, it stops the car very effectively on the street but I suppose you consider that low tech, too?

Well, if I remember correctly Car&Driver experienced complete brake failure on a 370Z with its "high tech" brakes and totaled the car....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Yes. I have a '09 and '12 and they BOTH "squeak" when the handbrake is engaged. My e46 M3 and 330 also "squeaked" when the handbrake was applied.

Again, why don't you see if your car still "squeaks" when you get in/out if the handbrake is not engaged?

Why is it low-end tech? If you engage the handbrake does it prevent the car from moving forward even if you apply the throttle? I know you have issues with the single-piston sliding caliper, however, it stops the car very effectively on the street but I suppose you consider that low tech, too?

Well, if I remember correctly Car&Driver experienced complete brake failure on a 370Z with its "high tech" brakes and totaled the car....
Hahahaha!

You are absolutely right------then the e-brake is not pulled, no noise at all.

I guess the noise just bothers me. And I'm surprised that if this is a common issue, how come nobody else has posted about it before. Or maybe everyone knew this is expected and don't bother talking about it?

When I first got the car, I was VERY impressed about its braking capabilities on the street (at that point I did not know it only had 1 pot). Then soon after I got the car, it went into service, and by the time I got her back, braking felt very mushy and nonresponsive, hence my post asking about the number of pots.

That said, as I type, the shop is bleeding the brakes and installing SS lines, so hopefully when they are done, responsive braking will be restored again. I think during the first service, air got into the system.

Thank you for the input - I will post again once I get my car back re: feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

These e-brakes all squeak had it on a 04 330i , 07 335i and now with the M..its the a rudimentary brake shoe setup.
I would say its another suspension issue..springs/shocks probably

Name:  237.png
Views: 8854
Size:  8.8 KB

Last edited by tibra1; 04-14-2012 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0