BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

m3 is a special rare car. vetts are a dime a dozen. z06 although superfast looks like the other vettes plus only seats 2 plus its a chevy. i had a vette for 20yrs and i had enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
TooManyIDs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
m3 is a special rare car. vetts are a dime a dozen. z06 although superfast looks like the other vettes plus only seats 2 plus its a chevy. i had a vette for 20yrs and i had enough.
Interesting, haven't seen production numbers on the 3 Series. Corvette production (all models) runs around 33k units a year (in Bowling Green, has been a while since I've checked, feel free to verify).

As far as looks, I can spot an M3 any day. I'll bet you most people couldn't tell the difference between a 328i and M3.

If you had a Vette for 20 years, you had an old gen. What year? My last one was an '05.

Last edited by TooManyIDs; 08-22-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
Because of my past experiences with other BMW's. My families experiences with other German cars. They seem to have electrical issues. So I expect my M3 to get serviced before my Z06.
The E46 M3, their high strung car, was the only BMW to get top marks for reliability with the Consumer Reports a few years back. The E92 is continuing that tradition, I believe. These are solid cars!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #26
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyIDs View Post
Interesting, haven't seen production numbers on the 3 Series. Corvette production (all models) runs around 33k units a year (in Bowling Green, has been a while since I've checked, feel free to verify).

As far as looks, I can spot an M3 any day. I'll bet you most people couldn't tell the difference between a 328i and M3.

If you had a Vette for 20 years, you had an old gen. What year? My last one was an '05.
production of vettes is low because its usa only m3 is world wide. my M3 sedan is the only one in monmouth county nj . the vette i had was a 1984. if you know vettes then you know the problems i had. EVERYTHING went wrong. but i loved the car ! it was my car right after college. i know the vettes today have to be much more reliable however you cannot compare a BMW M to a chevy corvette.
oh and i love having a 5 seater that can blow the doors off of 99% of the cars on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #27
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1337 View Post
Attached Images

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
TooManyIDs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
STFU & GTFO

Last edited by TooManyIDs; 08-22-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
TooManyIDs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
production of vettes is low because its usa only m3 is world wide. my M3 sedan is the only one in monmouth county nj . the vette i had was a 1984. if you know vettes then you know the problems i had. EVERYTHING went wrong. but i loved the car ! it was my car right after college. i know the vettes today have to be much more reliable however you cannot compare a BMW M to a chevy corvette.
oh and i love having a 5 seater that can blow the doors off of 99% of the cars on the road.
Add in the entire 3 series line and there are plenty running around here. The M3 is certainly more rare, but not absent. Similar to Vettes if you consider all models, or narrow down to Grand Sports, Z06's, or ZR1's.

'84 would have been Cross-Fire, understood. And, I remember the extremely flexible structure on my '96 LT-4, but I loved the way you sat *IN* a C4, versus just sitting on a C5 or C6 seat, and the way it sounded with the stock exhaust (I had to mod my C5 & C6 exhausts). They still haven't put a proper seat in any C6, there should be a real sport seat option for those that fit. I didn't have issues with mine, including the track time on the '02 & '05. And, I would buy another.

I wonder if some of the vehicle preferences are simply due to age. I'm probably younger than the average Vette owner, but I get the feeling I'm older than the average M3 owner. I appreciate both cars (and yes, I know the Vette interior could be more upscale).

I'm hoping the M3 brings back some of the fun (won't pick it up for a month) I've been missing. And, I know it will haul my kids around, which is why I sold the last Vette (3 kids).

For me, there needs to be a visceral reaction to a car, how does it sound, feel, vibrate, accelerate, look. etc. Don't really care about status or the badge or one more layer of leather in the interior. The 328i has been a complete and utter bore, so much so, I'm worried if I made the right choice to even try a M3.

If I could, I'd have a warehouse with all makes & models (like Leno), that would be ideal.
      08-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #30
911M3
911 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Go with the M3. I've had Z cars, Porsches 911's, and a C5 vette. The M3 has it all, style, power, braking, handling, comfort, technology, and four seats! I'm a cyclist and with the rear seat down I can haul my bike too. It is a far better car and more useful. Don't forget about the re-sale value...hands down M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Yea cause the Z06 is finely tuned and revs to 8400....

Glad you can make logical arguments, 2 different engines, they make power differently with different power bands and torque bands.

But back to topic, both great cars.

M3
1. better build quality
2. easier to drive fast
3. carries 4 people
4. better daily driver

ZO6
1. much faster
2. does everything better on a track
3. takes an enormous of abuse then drives home
4. looks are subjective with the Z looking better to me

If you want a comfortable daily driver and need to seat more than 2 people, M3

If you want super car performance, ZO6, but learn to drive it well, it’s not easy to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
BlancM3
Enlisted Member
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: Alpine White / Fox Red E92 M3

Can you live with the plastic interior of the zo6 day in day out? While the M3 is "slower" than the zo6 however the sound and environment that surronds you is surreal in comparision with the vette. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #33
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancM3 View Post
Can you live with the plastic interior of the zo6 day in day out? While the M3 is "slower" than the zo6 however the sound and environment that surronds you is surreal in comparision with the vette. Just my 2 cents.
My 3LZ has a leather covered interior that looks as good as any M3. I will agree with you that the radio, nav and ac controls are way out dated. But, I didn’t buy the Z because of its comfort and luxuries.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #34
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
My 3LZ has a leather covered interior that looks as good as any M3. I will agree with you that the radio, nav and ac controls are way out dated. But, I didn’t buy the Z because of its comfort and luxuries.
Not to take anything away from the Vette but I have to disagree with you on the interior. GM has long been criticized by the auto mags for the Vette's interior--3LZ or otherwise. And for good reason. The seats offer poor lateral support, the materials are NOT even close to on par with the Novillo leather in a BMW or the leather found in a Porsche. The last two new Vettes I've looked at and sat in had such an acrid smell coming from the interior I immediately got out.

That being said, the Corvette remains the best bang for the buck sports car. The Z06 is a very quick car. Hell, my dad has one and he gives me a run for my money in my Lambo SL. To the OP, obviously as everyone has said here the M3 and Z06 are apples and oranges. Fast, inexpensive sledgehammer with 2 seats go with the Z06. Refined German car that can be a Jekyl or Hyde go with the M3. Both are great cars in their own right. Or how about a lightly modded 997.1 turbo that will spank either one of the above. Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #35
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Ignore the bias. Go with the Z06 if you want brute power and M3 if you want something more refined. I would go with the Z06 but I am partially biased because I own a M3 and rode in my friend's modded Z06 which had performance figures that blew my mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #36
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
Not to take anything away from the Vette but I have to disagree with you on the interior. GM has long been criticized by the auto mags for the Vette's interior--3LZ or otherwise. And for good reason. The seats offer poor lateral support, the materials are NOT even close to on par with the Novillo leather in a BMW or the leather found in a Porsche. The last two new Vettes I've looked at and sat in had such an acrid smell coming from the interior I immediately got out.

That being said, the Corvette remains the best bang for the buck sports car. The Z06 is a very quick car. Hell, my dad has one and he gives me a run for my money in my Lambo SL. To the OP, obviously as everyone has said here the M3 and Z06 are apples and oranges. Fast, inexpensive sledgehammer with 2 seats go with the Z06. Refined German car that can be a Jekyl or Hyde go with the M3. Both are great cars in their own right. Or how about a lightly modded 997.1 turbo that will spank either one of the above. Just a thought

That's the path I hope to take. I love the M3 and may still end up going that route but the 997.1 TT trumps it in every way (save for price and utility). The Z06 (which I had previously) is a beast and a hell of a car but I just can't seem to get past the interior and subpar fit/finish and build quality after owning BMW's and Porsche's.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Or how about a lightly modded 997.1 turbo that will spank either one of the above. Just a thought
You can't bring mods into it and I don't think a lightly modded 997.1 turbo is in the price range of an older E92 M3 or a Z06. I don't know what smell you are referencing, but perhaps that was the people driving those Z06s you sat in. I have never had anyone reference any strange smell when riding in my car.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #38
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE92 View Post
Rocker arms on some Z06 engines have problems after which the engine is destroyed... warrenty is an issue in europe because GM has no more dealerships..... this is holding me back on the Z06
Figured I would clear up some of this. There was a small stretch of engines built in late 2006 and early 2007 that had rocker arms built with bad bearings. These bearings can fail and the owners find the needle bearings in their oil pan. This happened to a buddy of mine. His engine wasn't destroyed though and was running great. We pulled the valve covers and replaced one rocker arm for a cost of $20 and he was good to go. The other failure that can destroy the engine involves the sodium filled exhaust valves snapping. While this is far from common it has happened. Overall the engine is reliable and remember that only people with problems post about them on the Internet.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #39
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You can't bring mods into it and I don't think a lightly modded 997.1 turbo is in the price range of an older E92 M3 or a Z06. I don't know what smell you are referencing, but perhaps that was the people driving those Z06s you sat in. I have never had anyone reference any strange smell when riding in my car.
True, a modded 997.1 Turbo will run more than a used Z06 or M3. While the OP did state he was looking for an '07 model he did not specify a budget. The Turbo is merely an option for him since he seems to like European styling/interior quality but wants the power of a Z06. Even an unmodded Turbo would be plenty fast and give any Z06 a diffucult time on or off the track. It would come down to the driver between the two cars as it does with cars this closely matched. As I stated before, the Z06 is probably the best bang for the buck performance one can buy. Corvettes have held this distinction for a long time. It just comes down to a matter of personal preference, budget, etc.

As for the scent I smelt in the interior, the cars I sat in were brand new and yes I showered before going out that day. It wasn't only a Z06 that had this plasticky acrid oder but a ZR1 and base Vette as well. Again I respect the cars as my dad is a Vette guy but I happen to prefer Euro cars when it comes to interior design and suspension feel. JMO. In the end maybe the OP can get both but can't go wrong with either one.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #40
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
True, a modded 997.1 Turbo will run more than a used Z06 or M3. While the OP did state he was looking for an '07 model he did not specify a budget. The Turbo is merely an option for him since he seems to like European styling/interior quality but wants the power of a Z06. Even an unmodded Turbo would be plenty fast and give any Z06 a diffucult time on or off the track. It would come down to the driver between the two cars as it does with cars this closely matched. As I stated before, the Z06 is probably the best bang for the buck performance one can buy. Corvettes have held this distinction for a long time. It just comes down to a matter of personal preference, budget, etc.

As for the scent I smelt in the interior, the cars I sat in were brand new and yes I showered before going out that day. It wasn't only a Z06 that had this plasticky acrid oder but a ZR1 and base Vette as well. Again I respect the cars as my dad is a Vette guy but I happen to prefer Euro cars when it comes to interior design and suspension feel. JMO. In the end maybe the OP can get both but can't go wrong with either one.
I think an '07 997TT will be going for upper $60's by March. I personally was going to go for another Vette but after driving an M3 and seeing where prices have fallen on the 997TT, I'm going that route.

I have owned two brand new C6 Vettes (the latest was an '07 Z06) and they indeed do have a plasticky smell to them. There is no denying that.
Appreciate 0