BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Another OEM exhaust mod review

Wanted to share my thoughts here. I read all about the OEM exhaust mod and settled on the perforated method. I got it done about 2 weeks ago and am really happy with it. My thoughts below.

> Exhaust is quiet when not under load and gets louder as you get on the gas and the revs. Stock exhaust was almost like a silencer in comparison. When you get on the revs with the stock exhaust it does get louder, but it seems like the engine itself is producing a lot of sound and the exhaust is not amplifying it much. With the modded exhaust there is a nice amplification at higher revs.

> The exhaust tone is slightly higher pitched. You can hear this even under light load. The guys who did the mod left all the cat hair out. Don't know if this contributes to tone.

> You realize how well the M is insulated. The exhaust sounds a lot louder from outside the car. From inside the car you can hear the increase in sound, but barely noticable with all the windows rolled up. I'm glad I listened to the exhaust from the outside with someone else driving my car. Else I wouldn't know how sweet it sounded.

> Overall, makes the car feel more special without feeling like a rice rocket. This was ultimately my goal. I remember hearing AMGs or even a CTS-V pull away in a parking lot and thought, wow... there is a special engine in there. Now I feel the same way about the M. Not really sure why the stock exhaust was so muted out of the gate.

> Lots of folks said it was the best money they spent on a mod. I would say this rivals the Engine & GTS DCT SW upgrade from Alex. These two mods are the best I've done and worth every penny.

Now I'm on the hunt for some long tunnels...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

I did the same with mine and I couldn't be happier! good choice brutha!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Same here with the perforated method ,and sounds just perfect !
About your questions...
1-About your cat hair (isolation) lol...Does it contributes to tone ?
Yes , without the isolation the sound is more hollow but louder and with isolation the sound is deeper and fuller .
2-You are not sure why the stock exhaust was so muted out of the gate ?
The only reason why the stock exhaust was so muted out of the gate is to hear the almighty intake sound of our S65 !
So even with the Oem exhaust mod. you will hear now the exhaust sound more than the intake sound .
And to be honest I miss a little the sound of the intake, it's still there but not as pronounced as before ,and that's because the exhaust sound is now louder than the intake sound !
But if I had the choise again....exhaust sound (Oem exhaust mod.) all day long !
Here is mine with DIY video > http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I like the slightly hollow and louder sound. Works for me.

And I find that in the cabin, intake still dominates. Like 75% intake to 25% exhaust. With all the windows down that ratio flip flops, but I can still hear the intake noise plenty well. And a nice noise it is.
Appreciate 0