BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

11-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #23
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Yup, I was one of those saps stuck on 130 for 45 minutes waiting to turn onto 812 for the Formula Run. Barely got there in time. I live about 20 minutes from the track and it took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get there. Traffic on race weekend is going to be a NIGHTMARE.

I'm amazed at how much they accomplished since I was there a couple of months ago. Still a long way to go, though. Had a great run around the track. Going to be a fun memory on race day.

I like the tower, looks like a cobra ready to strike.

Can't wait for the race. Been learning the track on F1 2012, it's super fun. Think the drivers are going to love it.

With Vettel needing only 15 points and Red Bull needing 5, there's a very real possibility that both Driver's and Constructor's Championships will be won at our inaugural race. Pretty sweet.
To drive in you'll have to get there about 5am.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
orion565
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

F1 Event

I will be there in my M3 and have a parking spot in Q, still 4 miles from the track but better than messing with the shuttle.

I will be taking 130 down everyday as I am staying right off 130 and 45.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Schedule:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visi...+United+States
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

Excited, I am not sure if I will be able to go to sleep. Luckily I have my Compadres near the F1 track, so will be staying with them...... Man its gonna be great!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Hello!

I'm thinking about Noon - 1:00 pm on Saturday.

That's during a Formula 1 Qualifying Session.
At 1:30 pm begins the "Ferrari Challenge" (everyone say "woooooh")

The next question is...where, exactly? For that, someone has to be on-site to look around. I'll be there on Friday about 3:00 pm, and so will scout-out possible meet-up locations, and post it here on Friday evening.

Suggestions/alternative times/etc. welcome. I'll also look around and see if there's anything official BMW there. If not, anyone that would like to meet on Saturday gives you a chance to say hello to people face-to-face rather than just behind-the-Internet.

- V a u g h n

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
suprolla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Estoril MSport Wagen

pulled in 6pm to Austin. Heading to the track first thing in the morning. Taking a shuttle from the crown Plaza to Travis Expo then shuttling in. you can text me 281-386-291 7

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #29
Gilou
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

God I hate you guys! I so wish I could have gone but out of town this weekend... Please comment on the experience and take a ton of pics!!

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
VMcV3y
Major
Rep

Garage List
This morning has been a bit of controlled chaos. Still trying to work our way from Turn 11 toward the main entrance and scout out a spot for a meet-up. I am riding slowly on the inner-ring shuttle. But this seems less likely a deal as time goes on. As best I can tell, we've had three people interested in doing this and with the volume of thousands here, I think that's going to be a challenge.

About 10:30 am I hope to be in the main area and will look for landmark booths or displays.

But nobody rush out or sacrifice your morning for the sake of a 1:00 pm meeting cuz I think the whole idea is flimsy now.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #31
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Be sure to take pictures!
      11-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #32
VMcV3y
Major
Rep

Garage List
Wrap-up:

The meet-up just did not work anywhere near as envisioned.

It was my first Formula 1 race to attend; however, I've been to two MotoGP at Laguna Seca and expected this to be similar. Meaning, at the MotoGP races, there were dozens of motorcycle and a few car makers showing off their bikes/vehicles. Plus there was a sort of carnival atmosphere with helmet vendors, jackets and gear, and then companies giving away freebies and doing small contests. At Formula 1 -- nope. What you got was a "Grand Plaza" containing a few food vendors, a Formula 1 shop, a Circuit of the America Merchandise, a Lotus F1 shop, and a Ferrari shop. This was repeated in a couple of other areas. We waited at the COTA Merchandise line for almost two hours; during which time I and others scouted nearby areas to find something of relative interest for BMW fans. Nope. Also, I had zero cellular capability there (due to thousands of people) and couldn't even post-out on Bimmerfest.

So, sorry folks, it just wasn't meant to be.

As far as the event itself, quite a bit of fun, and well worth the three days there.

The FanVision deal was worth the rental fee, definitely.

Parking Lot passes were worth it, except for L & M were in dirt areas, and though they were improved/flattened dirt, it was extremely dusty. My LMB M3 looks like a new Limited Edition Frozen Blue-Ice paint color right now.

Traffic departing at 3:00 pm was miserable, taking us almost until 5:10 pm to actually get back to Toll 130. That was the only really screwed-up part of the COTA weekend. Everything else ran pretty smooth, especially considering it was their inaugural event.

The F1 cars were fun, but I actually enjoyed the Porsche GT3 races more.

- V

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
2001M
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster

Garage List
2001 M Roadster  [0.00]
F1 weekend-a few thoughts

V- it was just too much chaos as you mentioned to actually 'meet up'. Too many unknowns with traffic issues/people/timing.

My intent was F1 and attempt to get to/from with as little traffic problems as possible. (IE stay away from Austin); I brought a customer whose intent was the same. Mission accomplished!
Bought T-4 tickets which are close to Parking lot P (southeast side). I decided to book a hotel in Bastrop (also on SE side) 30 min away. This was a BREEZE leaving every day. Even on Sunday; Took 10 min to get out of the parking lot Sun and no traffic at all back to Bastrop/customer was very thankful that we avoided any 1 hr waits etc..
COTA Merchandise booths (only 2 booths I believe) were a disaster; I waited in line for 10min /when the line didn't move i said 'adios'. Also, their credit card machines were not functioning the entire weekend at any merchandise booth so it was a cash only for the entire weekend.

We actually had more fun sitting in GA areas than in our seats. Sunday we grabbed (were sitting by 7:45am) in GA area RIGHT next to the pole position--Vettle's car wasn't but 50 ft. from us on the start. It was awesome; No complaints with T-4 snake section but to be that close was awesome-- We also sat in T-11W on Friday afternoon for a bit; the sun was beating down on you exposed like a rock in the desert; I would not recommend those seats.

->Looking forward to the next M club track day with you guys!!--In the meantime I'm heading to Sebring for a HPDE Dec 8-9th ! Can't wait!

--R
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
2001M
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster

Garage List
2001 M Roadster  [0.00]
Fanvision in review and where was Speed Ch??

Fanvision was absolutely priceless! Worked flawlessly. This was obviosly not their first rodeo! Live streaming video/statistics /etc.. Best $70 ever spent relative to all the other price gauging that was going on at COTA.
And the $12 gyros were not worth $2 IMO.

Other than Will Buxton at the track (who looked epic in his cowboy had and boots) I don't think the other 3 speed commentators were there?!?!?!. I was expecting Speed Ch. to have a booth (sorta like ESPN college game day). So they stayed at their studio in Carolina? What a shame. Sounds like Speed ch. really has gone to the grave.
Not looking forward to NBC taking over F1 coverage next year.

-R
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #35
VMcV3y
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001M View Post
Fanvision was absolutely priceless! Worked flawlessly. This was obviosly not their first rodeo! Live streaming video/statistics /etc.. Best $70 ever spent relative to all the other price gauging that was going on at COTA.
And the $12 gyros were not worth $2 IMO.

Other than Will Buxton at the track (who looked epic in his cowboy had and boots) I don't think the other 3 speed commentators were there?!?!?!. I was expecting Speed Ch. to have a booth (sorta like ESPN college game day). So they stayed at their studio in Carolina? What a shame. Sounds like Speed ch. really has gone to the grave.
Not looking forward to NBC taking over F1 coverage next year.

-R

FanVision was good, you're right.

I got up to 96 mph on Toll-130 for a moment before dropping back to 90 in the 85 zone, and hitting that for about a half-hour. 90 mph on that road is perfect. A true sweet-spot for that highway and an M3.

There were no less than 18 DPS troopers on that road between Seguin and COTA on Friday afternoon!

- V

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #36
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001M View Post
V- it was just too much chaos as you mentioned to actually 'meet up'. Too many unknowns with traffic issues/people/timing.
As far as I am concerned, the traffic issues on race day were caused by morons unfamiliar with how the traffic was being directed and where they were able to park. Friday and Saturday, there was a brief wait to get into Parking Lot F, but Sunday took us about 1.5 hrs from the time we hit traffic until we were parked. People without parking permits kept having to turn around because they were not allowed in.

Other then that, I did not have a single issue all weekend. Beer and swag lines were very long, but that is to be expected during certain times at any event of this magnitude.

Once I found a beer stand that turned a blind eye to the supposed 'two drink per person limit', we were golden. The private suites were top notch as well.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Anyone want to pick up Sebastian's boots for him?

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...mber_188680194

Must be some boots for $2150.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #38
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

What a blast it was and such an experience. I have it documented on e90post under the southwest. I can't wait to next year.
Appreciate 0