BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #45
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
DCT:

BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #46
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post

I like to shift, think it's fun especially with this 8400 rpms to play with. I don't think I'd like a car that's got gobs of TQ everywhere you could just mash the gas. So I think the M3 is great either, probably the double-clutch Transmission would be a little more dull (I mean less work/fun) quicker but less involving.

Its posts like this that make me thing the 6mt is the new poseur car. Its really for those more concerned with status, image, or maintaining an archaic interaction with the car than anything else.
      03-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #47
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The one thing I hate about autos is that the kickdown is soooo slow. I just hate the hesitation when the auto tranny tries to shift down so that you get more torque at the wheels. That is why i have converted to driving manuals.

However, I don't know if the same kickdown lag exists in the DCT (in auto mode)? Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #48
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
However, I don't know if the same kickdown lag exists in the DCT (in auto mode)? Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue?
It would exist in auto mode since there is no way for the transimission to anticipate you request. Of course thats why it has manual mode.
      03-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #49
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

lets talk Joy of driving? driver involvment vs. computer involvment.

yes, DCT will be awesome and its great they give a choice - but for me I like the total driver control and invlovlment of the 6MT.
      03-07-2008, 02:47 AM   #50
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Remember, "involvement" means activating the clutch with a hand and a foot instead of just a hand.

As for "computer control," why buy an M3 with its throttle-by-wire system? The computer tells the engine how fast to go! OMG! It can be reprogrammed by the user by pushing a button. Gasp, no joy of driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #51
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Remember, "involvement" means activating the clutch with a hand and a foot instead of just a hand.

As for "computer control," why buy an M3 with its throttle-by-wire system? The computer tells the engine how fast to go! OMG! It can be reprogrammed by the user by pushing a button. Gasp, no joy of driving.

You forgot ABS which takes the symphony of collision out of driving.
      03-07-2008, 03:34 AM   #52
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Its posts like this that make me thing the 6mt is the new poseur car. Its really for those more concerned with status, image, or maintaining an archaic interaction with the car than anything else.
It would really be nice if you could pass on stating such gross generalizations. I'm sure we'd find some reasons posers would go the DCT route, don't you think?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #53
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Can someone explain the relevance of ABS and throttle-by-wire when discussing the differences between MT and DCT? In both of this case each system works in the background to improve both the braking and the response of your engine, neither detract from the interaction or the experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #54
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
it's ok if you don't know how to drive stick and want to put people down who do.

My mom can't drive stick either
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #55
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Here we go again. Someone posts an honest question, gets some answers with perspective, and then it turns into a I'll prove your preference is wrong and transmission X is for gender/stereotype Y discussion. Just enjoy your M3s when you get them.
      03-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #56
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Here we go again. Someone posts an honest question, gets some answers with perspective, and then it turns into a I'll prove your preference is wrong and transmission X is for gender/stereotype Y discussion. Just enjoy your M3s when you get them.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #57
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
I'd like to say, I never said anything bad about the DCT option. I may even buy one. I said, I believe it will be quicker (ie. launch control, gearing etc.). But given one has to be more fun than the other (it's a cop-out to say they both are the same amount of fun) I just thought probably the 3-pedal car would be slightly more fun.

There's a reason why many people prefer the 3-pedal car, even tho it's not the newest technology. It would be like why do some people enjoy going for a walk when it's not as new-fangled as driving? Some people just don't mind walking or do it for enjoyment. That does not mean driving is bad or that they never drive just that they enjoy a simple thing like moving about by their own power. Somewhat like shifting a gear using an arm and a leg. It's probably old fashoned but it's still fun to do.

Also, if any car was a pousers car how could it be the MT? That's bass ackwords. Clearly it takes more skill to shift a gear manually. Many people buy AT cars b/c they are lazy and/or they don't know how to drive stick shift. I get exchange students over here from Germany and they amused how most Americans don't know how to drive stick.

Last edited by rai; 03-07-2008 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #58
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

if you want people with a lot of SMG experience head over to www.M5board.com there a lot of people who have converted and are very happy with there decision and use the search function over there b/c its been discussed a lot

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #59
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Just enjoy your M3s when you get them.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #60
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It would really be nice if you could pass on stating such gross generalizations. I'm sure we'd find some reasons posers would go the DCT route, don't you think?

Best regards, south
I do agree with that, depending entirely on each persons individual reasons for purchase there will be posers in both camps.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #61
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Can someone explain the relevance of ABS and throttle-by-wire when discussing the differences between MT and DCT? In both of this case each system works in the background to improve both the braking and the response of your engine, neither detract from the interaction or the experience.
Let me reword slightly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
With a dual clutch transmission the system works in the background to improve both the speed of the car and lower the effort required to obtain it. It neither detracts from the interaction or the experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #62
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
And what part of the press (newspaper) do you work in. Clearly it must be some part, as you are very good at twisting what someone says into something totally different.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #63
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Let me reword slightly...

Swamp gets it

This thread it the same old, same old. Eventually someone makes a "A stick is the only real way to interact with a car" comment and its all downhill from there.
      03-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #64
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards, south
When I see someone posting that 6mt is the only proper way to interact, everything else is an auto. Its becoming a status symbol. Its no longer about functionality at that point. Its become about image and style. Or put another way, poser....

If someone posts they want a 6mt because they enjoy it fine. I am just fed up with the never ending bashing from the manual crowd about how there way is the only "real way" to drive a car. I have been seeing crap like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
it's ok if you don't know how to drive stick and want to put people down who do.

My mom can't drive stick either
For far too long. Going on 7 years of this now. Really grow up people and accept that just because you chose and enjoy shifting that not everyone does.

Almost every one of these threads ends up with some commont about "SMG/DCT is for people that don't know how to shift". or "Its just an auto". I just sick of it when the people making the comments often know less about driving than those they are trying to insult.
      03-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #65
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Anyone who says SMG doesn't give the driver proper car contol hasn't driven SMG on a road course. SMG shines at the track.
      03-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #66
southlight
Rep

Quote:
When I see someone posting that 6mt is the only proper way to interact, everything else is an auto. Its becoming a status symbol. Its no longer about functionality at that point. Its become about image and style. Or put another way, poser....

If someone posts they want a 6mt because they enjoy it fine. I am just fed up with the never ending bashing from the manual crowd about how there way is the only "real way" to drive a car. I have been seeing crap like this:

For far too long. Going on 7 years of this now. Really grow up people and accept that just because you chose and enjoy shifting that not everyone does.

Almost every one of these threads ends up with some commont about "SMG/DCT is for people that don't know how to shift". or "Its just an auto". I just sick of it when the people making the comments often know less about driving than those they are trying to insult.
I fully understand that these comments are annoying, but so are the the answers given on the same level. All I'm talking about whenever such discussions tend to become impertinent is respect. Seems like we can't respect each other's choice, can we?
Lately I read: 'The M3 is a car designed to make fun.' IMO everbody may decide on his own what makes more fun, rowing on his own (to use the bad word) or letting the DCT execute the gear shifts (sometimes fully automated, but most of the time controlled by the driver). I really don't think that I have to grow up on accepting the point that not everyone enjoys shifting (and I don't think you meant me personally), I know that and appreciate that. Hence BMW did a good job offering both transmissions, neither only manual (Z4M) nor only SMG/DCT (M5/6 in Europe) can serve all purposes/favours.
It's not fair nor really conclusive that 6MT is the "new poser's choice" and such a statement lacks - you know - respect. Some clueless and provoking statements (like the one you quoted) can't be enough to make such a call.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0