BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

No extended leather w/o nav

I just noticed on the BMWUSA website that now if you choose extended leather you must get navigation. Does anybody else thinks this is capricious?
      08-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Yes, but I'm not sure how many people this will really affect. I can't believe there are too many one-humpers who want extended leather out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Yes, but I'm not sure how many people this will really affect. I can't believe there are too many one-humpers who want extended leather out there.
I agree....that's just my one humper opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
tru dat

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I know of 2 single scoop M3s that have extended leather. The reason I got a single scoop was not because of the cost of Nav but I didn't want I-drive and I knew it would be easier to upgrade the audio system.
      08-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I know of 2 single scoop M3s that have extended leather. The reason I got a single scoop was not because of the cost of Nav but I didn't want I-drive and I knew it would be easier to upgrade the audio system.
Honestly, I think an audio upgrade integrated with the iDrive screen would be nicer than anything you could install in the dash. Especially with all the OEM integration processors that are out now. If I do upgrade the audio, that's the way I plan to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Honestly, I think an audio upgrade integrated with the iDrive screen would be nicer than anything you could install in the dash. Especially with all the OEM integration processors that are out now. If I do upgrade the audio, that's the way I plan to do it.
It depends how much work you are willing to put into it how the dash will look. I wanted a carPC and that means I want to have touchscreen which rules the OEM scoop out. The OEM integration systems out right now like the Alpine Vehicle Hub and Kenwood portal systems still leave a lot to be desired. I would wait till the next generation Kenwoods come out. Since I replace all the amps and speakers, starting with base is best.
      08-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It depends how much work you are willing to put into it how the dash will look. I wanted a carPC and that means I want to have touchscreen which rules the OEM scoop out. The OEM integration systems out right now like the Alpine Vehicle Hub and Kenwood portal systems still leave a lot to be desired. I would wait till the next generation Kenwoods come out. Since I replace all the amps and speakers, starting with base is best.
The good thing about the Alpine is that you can run their DSP (PXA-H701) off it and that's really all the processor anyone would need. You can use that to run a fully active system unless you're planning to do 3-way separates in the front. Rockfords 3sixty.2 and 3sixty.1 are also OEM integration systems which are controlled via a bluetooth PDA or laptop. What I'm hoping to find is a way to either reuse or replace the factory sub enclosures under the seats to something a little better. It would probably have to be something really shallow like the old Illusion Audio subs. Upgrading the rest of the system is quite easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The good thing about the Alpine is that you can run their DSP (PXA-H701) off it and that's really all the processor anyone would need. You can use that to run a fully active system unless you're planning to do 3-way separates in the front. Rockfords 3sixty.2 and 3sixty.1 are also OEM integration systems which are controlled via a bluetooth PDA or laptop. What I'm hoping to find is a way to either reuse or replace the factory sub enclosures under the seats to something a little better. It would probably have to be something really shallow like the old Illusion Audio subs. Upgrading the rest of the system is quite easy.
The easiest sub upgrade is the Earthquake SWS since they did manufacture the subs for BMW and the size is roughly the same. They outperform the Illusion Audio's as well, I used to have IA subs. I run the SWS subs now and they sound pretty good. They can definitely use a 1/3 octave EQ. The problem I know with the premium sound is that there is also equalization from the head that you need to get rid of. That comes at a high cost with the integration processor and you might lose things like your volume knob if you go with something like the Alpine PXE-H650. Plus they are messy as heck to install. The Rockford has reliability issues and you want to make sure you get the latest version as Technic had many problems with his. The safest and best route for equalization is the Audio Control equipment. I just wish it was smaller and I could program it the same way the Rockford units can be programmed. I'm still on the fence as to what to do, love the size and price of the RF but don't trust it. Love the quality of the Audio Control but hate the programming and size. Alpine is out of the question because you have to use their volume control.
      08-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The easiest sub upgrade is the Earthquake SWS since they did manufacture the subs for BMW and the size is roughly the same. They outperform the Illusion Audio's as well, I used to have IA subs. I run the SWS subs now and they sound pretty good. They can definitely use a 1/3 octave EQ. The problem I know with the premium sound is that there is also equalization from the head that you need to get rid of. That comes at a high cost with the integration processor and you might lose things like your volume knob if you go with something like the Alpine PXE-H650. Plus they are messy as heck to install. The Rockford has reliability issues and you want to make sure you get the latest version as Technic had many problems with his. The safest and best route for equalization is the Audio Control equipment. I just wish it was smaller and I could program it the same way the Rockford units can be programmed. I'm still on the fence as to what to do, love the size and price of the RF but don't trust it. Love the quality of the Audio Control but hate the programming and size. Alpine is out of the question because you have to use their volume control.
What about JL cleansweep and the similar Audiocontrol product? Do they have the same limitations with the volume control? I'm actually not getting premium sound because I figured I would never be happy with OEM sound no matter how premium it is so if I'm going to spend $2k I might as well do it with aftermarket equipment.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
What about JL cleansweep and the similar Audiocontrol product? Do they have the same limitations with the volume control? I'm actually not getting premium sound because I figured I would never be happy with OEM sound no matter how premium it is so if I'm going to spend $2k I might as well do it with aftermarket equipment.
Actually, the Cleansweep is not needed in the base audio of the M3 (all the EQ is done at the OEM amp, which most probably will be first component replaced by aftermarket). AudioControl processors do not require an external volume control, although the DQL-8 have one as an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Actually, the Cleansweep is not needed in the base audio of the M3 (all the EQ is done at the OEM amp, which most probably will be first component replaced by aftermarket). AudioControl processors do not require an external volume control, although the DQL-8 have one as an option.
Good info! Thanks! So what kind of signal is fed from the head unit to the OEM amp in the base system? Low level RCA? Speaker level? Fiber optic? If it's low level RCA, that would make a one-for-one replacement possible. I recall there are 6 channels of amplification in the OEM amp right?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Good info! Thanks! So what kind of signal is fed from the head unit to the OEM amp in the base system? Low level RCA? Speaker level? Fiber optic? If it's low level RCA, that would make a one-for-one replacement possible. I recall there are 6 channels of amplification in the OEM amp right?
Differential/balanced signals (5V)...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Differential/balanced signals (5V)...
Meaning XLR connectors or still using RCA? Would you need a balanced line receiver to install an aftermarket amp or can you just plug right in?
Appreciate 0