BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
way to wussy. Audi wins again
Disagree.

JOY was the epitome of wuss commercialized. The Ultimate Driving Machine is like James Bond driving through a hail of gunfire to pick up his supermodel girl so they can arrive tastefully late to a brat and beerfest.
      01-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Wow finally, its about time The Ultimate Driving Machine made a return, that Joy slogan was pure wussy compared to this
      01-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-9 View Post
Quote:
way to wussy. Audi wins again
Disagree.

JOY was the epitome of wuss commercialized. The Ultimate Driving Machine is like James Bond driving through a hail of gunfire to pick up his supermodel girl so they can arrive tastefully late to a brat and beerfest.
That's fine, but I'm disappointed with how wuss the commercial appears to be, no engine noise, just too subtle for my taste. Audi ads lately make me want to watch them again, and they include engine noise!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

The 1 series ad in 08...I just wanted something more along the lines of this, makes me want to go drive

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #27
playskool1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW M3 6 Speed

Quote:
The 1 series ad in 08...I just wanted something more along the lines of this, makes me want to go drive
now that's what i'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #28
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

You are aware that "The Ultimate Driving Machine" never went anywhere.
Even in the JOY based commercials there was still "The Ultimate Driving Machine"tagline with the BMW Logo.

Should point out that JOY remains the tagline for BMW and has always had in its home market Germany, "Freude am Fahren" - Joy in Driving.

But the universal term - "Sheer Driving Pleaure" remains.
      01-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #29
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Sweet, I can't wait to run out and buy one of those...

...oh wait...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #30
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
The Joy crap was hideous.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #31
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena
The Joy crap was hideous.
Yea
      01-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #32
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Glad to hear the marketing department is reusing the tagline.

Wake me when something relevant to said tagline happens.

(Hint: Luxobarges and cars with AG engines don't count)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
guzman97
Rep
Drives: acura rsx

Should be expecting, but I think this year's Super Bowl is going to especially exciting.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #34
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

Quote:
Yeah, the GTS isn't a sports car....
few points:
in my opinion - a sports car should be simple layout - rwd, manual gearbox, limited slip diff - obviously the transmission does not dictate a sports car or not - ferrari, mclaren, etc. all use double/single clutch gearboxes. i think a sports car also has to have some aspect to it, that doesn't allow the "focus" of the car to be compromised.

the gts is unavailable to the US Market - so its not a sports car we can ALL enjoy. its also a limited edition car.

the size of the e9x chassis, in my opinion, is way too big to be categorized as a sports car. its not even a compact sports sedan in my eyes. i think the e9x m3 is a luxury coupe.

if you go back to the original e30 m3, it was a homologated car that was not luxurious by any means, although it was much better equipped than competitors cars, it was a harsh car. it was rough riding and it was loud, and high revving.

you had to LIVE w/the car and its quirks on a daily basis. todays cars are all luxurious boats. BMW doesn't make ONE car that is like that. if you look at Porsche - they make, i believe, 27 variants of the 911. every single one of those coupes (not cabriolets) are true sports cars. if you ever drive one, its not the luxurious boat feeling you get in a BMW, Merc, or Audi. Its raw, its rough, its mechanical sounding, etc. the car has quirks and character. look at the underside of a 911. its completely flat - for aerodynamic purposes. every single part of the car is focused and has a reason for being the way it is - not just for cost cutting measures (BMW, Merc,Audi, etc.)

no car BMW makes does that for me. they all have become softer and softer, but thats for the good of the company as the type of person that buys a bmw no longer is interested in keeping it forever. more than likely, they will drive the car for a few years and then get the next gen. frankly thats to me.

based on that, i don't believe bmw makes any sports car. do the cars they make - are they sporty in nature? yes. they have great suspension geometry, wonderful limited slip differentials, great gearboxes, lovely chassis, and great steering, but no they are not TRUE sports cars.

the m3 has always been a sports coupe. never a "true" sports car, a la the 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I can't buy it and neither can you, therefore in my books, it doesn't really count.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
And the 1m isn't a sports car? That's not what I think every morning when I start her up!
the 1m is absolutely NOT a sports car. its a luxury coupe first and foremost, and has upgraded components, but its by no means a sports car - look at its drag coefficient! worst than a stock 3 series.

i never considered BMW to make sports cars. thats what was cool about the M division before they destroyed it with SAVs and Turdbros. they always took vehicles off the line, strengthened the chassis, improved the suspension geometry, pepped up the motor, and had a fun car that had all the practicality of the non M version.

now bmw just uses the M badge to sell cars

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #35
XC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupé

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
Now we are talking! JOY was bland, lame etc. It was a way to get closer to audi "likers" that anyway would complain that audi's ads were better. Welcome back, Ultimate Driving Machine
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #36
XC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's fine, but I'm disappointed with how wuss the commercial appears to be, no engine noise, just too subtle for my taste. Audi ads lately make me want to watch them again, and they include engine noise!
One of BMW's strong points is understatement. I personally do not miss engine noise from ads, because I clearly know what a BMW sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
XC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You are aware that "The Ultimate Driving Machine" never went anywhere.
Even in the JOY based commercials there was still "The Ultimate Driving Machine"tagline with the BMW Logo.

Should point out that JOY remains the tagline for BMW and has always had in its home market Germany, "Freude am Fahren" - Joy in Driving.

But the universal term - "Sheer Driving Pleaure" remains.
I agree it never actually disappeared, but public perception was other; otherwise the UDM slogan wouldn't be making a "comeback".

The other problem is that trying to adapt "Freude am Fahren" to other languages is actually very difficult, and the word JOY didn't actually lumped what "Freude am Fahren" does. For example, in spanish talking markets, the word JOY in english was used, meaning actually NO-thing. But even there, the slogan "El Placer de Conducir" or "¿Te gusta Conducir?" (meaning something like "The Pleasure of Driving"/ "Do you like to Drive?" thus closer to "Freude am Fahren") was still used along JOY.

These nuances are no minor when you consider multi-million dollar advertisement investements.

It was a strategy that didn't work in BMW fans eyes, but corporate BMW may be inclined to thing otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
About time!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #39
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Has this aired yet? I'm watching the game cheering for the Texans and haven't seen the commercial yet!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #40
Bruc3 L33roy
Team Outcast [East Coast Chapt.] || OutCast Garage
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Just saw the commercial...makes me proud!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasano18
FINALLY! i have plenty of "joy" in my life.. wat i need is more ultimate driving machines
I know thats right!, i just cant het enough of it!.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #42
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

Just saw this commercial.... Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #43
BAL278
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi JB

I usually don't partake in the arguments in this forum.. However.. I hate the debate that is going on whether or not BMW's are sports cars or not.. Bottom line.. Who cares?! They are great driving cars.. And the sportiest and most balanced versions of cars in their class.. A 3-series compared to a Lexus IS is a sporty luxury sedan.. I will attest to the fact that BMW has departed from their sports car like focus to produce rather heavy and gadget laden luxury vehicles, but they are still solidly built and meticulously engineered alternatives to everyday cars.. They are in my subjective opinion far better alternatives to Lexus, MB, Audi and Infiniti.. But to argue so passionately against a brand that you (generally speaking) have a loyalty to.. Being on bimmerpost.. Is absurd!

You go BMW! Lol.. Just my $0.02

2008 335xi Jet Black//Coral Red
VTT Stage 1+// Procede V5//VRSF DPs//AMS FMIC//KW V1//M3 Sways & Sub Bushings// Alpina AT flash
Apex EC-7//Michelin PSS//Dinan CAI
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #44
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3
Quote:
Yeah, the GTS isn't a sports car....
few points:
in my opinion - a sports car should be simple layout - rwd, manual gearbox, limited slip diff - obviously the transmission does not dictate a sports car or not - ferrari, mclaren, etc. all use double/single clutch gearboxes. i think a sports car also has to have some aspect to it, that doesn't allow the "focus" of the car to be compromised.

the gts is unavailable to the US Market - so its not a sports car we can ALL enjoy. its also a limited edition car.

the size of the e9x chassis, in my opinion, is way too big to be categorized as a sports car. its not even a compact sports sedan in my eyes. i think the e9x m3 is a luxury coupe.

if you go back to the original e30 m3, it was a homologated car that was not luxurious by any means, although it was much better equipped than competitors cars, it was a harsh car. it was rough riding and it was loud, and high revving.

you had to LIVE w/the car and its quirks on a daily basis. todays cars are all luxurious boats. BMW doesn't make ONE car that is like that. if you look at Porsche - they make, i believe, 27 variants of the 911. every single one of those coupes (not cabriolets) are true sports cars. if you ever drive one, its not the luxurious boat feeling you get in a BMW, Merc, or Audi. Its raw, its rough, its mechanical sounding, etc. the car has quirks and character. look at the underside of a 911. its completely flat - for aerodynamic purposes. every single part of the car is focused and has a reason for being the way it is - not just for cost cutting measures (BMW, Merc,Audi, etc.)

no car BMW makes does that for me. they all have become softer and softer, but thats for the good of the company as the type of person that buys a bmw no longer is interested in keeping it forever. more than likely, they will drive the car for a few years and then get the next gen. frankly thats to me.

based on that, i don't believe bmw makes any sports car. do the cars they make - are they sporty in nature? yes. they have great suspension geometry, wonderful limited slip differentials, great gearboxes, lovely chassis, and great steering, but no they are not TRUE sports cars.

the m3 has always been a sports coupe. never a "true" sports car, a la the 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I can't buy it and neither can you, therefore in my books, it doesn't really count.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
And the 1m isn't a sports car? That's not what I think every morning when I start her up!
the 1m is absolutely NOT a sports car. its a luxury coupe first and foremost, and has upgraded components, but its by no means a sports car - look at its drag coefficient! worst than a stock 3 series.

i never considered BMW to make sports cars. thats what was cool about the M division before they destroyed it with SAVs and Turdbros. they always took vehicles off the line, strengthened the chassis, improved the suspension geometry, pepped up the motor, and had a fun car that had all the practicality of the non M version.

now bmw just uses the M badge to sell cars
This is funny since the 1M is constantly compared to one of the most hardcore Porsche's around (Cayman R). BMW is obviously not for you, go buy a 911.
Appreciate 0