BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Vanguard Exhaust review

After owning the eisenmann race exhaust for a month, i finally decided to get rid of it and get a new system. I personally love the tone and volume of the eisenmann race and it is definitely aggressive sounding. However, the drone inside is pretty bad and gets annoying overtime as you can't really listen to any music during cruising speed. However, i do have to say that Eisenmann probably has one of the best looking tips and i am really pleased with how it looked like from the rear but it could have been better if the tips stick out more.

So my search for a new exhaust starts and this time i am looking for something a little bit quieter than the eisenmann race, but not being too quiet and most importantly minimal drone. Some exhaust that i was considering is Eisenmann Sport, Akrapovic and Vanguard. I ended up getting the vanguard exhaust because i figured i want a different tone from the eisenmann race so getting the sport isn't ideal and i am afraid it is too soft, wanted the Akra but it is slightly too pricey although i think it has the best looking tips.

I contacted Eric@PYSpeed requesting more info and pricing on the vanguard and he definitely provided excellent customer service. Highly recommended vendor and will try to work with his customer. Definitely one of the better vendor in this forum. Exhaust was shipped out immediately the next day after payment was sent and arrived fairly quickly at my door step.

The first thing you would notice when the box arrive is that it is very very LIGHT. Coming from an eisenmann race which was extremely heavy, the vanguard exhaust provides a very nice weight saving. You can literaly easily hold the exhaust with 1 hand, whereas the eisenmann is still pretty heavy even with 2 hands.

The exhaust is definitely well packaged and everything comes in perfect condition. Here are some wrapped pictures:
Box

Muffler

Connecting pipes

Tips

Entire system

So after taking the pictures above, i brought the exhaust to a local exhaust shop to have it installed. The guy who installed the system told me that this is probably his easiest installation ever since everything just bolt right on perfectly and the quality of the exhaust is superb. And since the exhaust is very light, it makes the installation a lot easier.

The first thing i noticed after the exhaust is installed is that the exhaust makes a decent subtle noise during start up and is definitely not that much louder than the stock exhaust during idle.

As expected, my first drive around the block with the vanguard exhaust does have some drone during cruising speed, and I guess this is the case for most exhaust when it is just installed before it quiets down after a few days as i experienced the same thing with my eisenmann race when i first installed it. As for the vanguard, the drone during cruising is gone after a couple days.

However, i think the vanguard exhaust does drone a little bit as you are approaching the 2000 rpm, and it is immediately gone when you gets above it. The drone is extremely minimal and it is definitely not something that will bother me like the eisenmann since it is soft and will only last for a short while since you can only hear it near the 2000 rpm mark.

A pleasant surprise for me was that this exhaust is definitely not too soft which i first feared it would be. If i were to rate my eisenmann race as being 8 in terms of loudness, i would rate the vanguard at 6. The most awesome thing about the vanguard is that, just like what other members have been saying, the exhaust stays pretty quiet at cruising speed and gets loud when you mash the throttle. I absolutely love the sound it makes when you mash the throttle at 3k rpm or higher. The tone the vanguard make is not as deep as the eisenmann race and it is so sweet.

When it comes to power gain, i guess it is difficult to notice it without doing any dyno, and i ended up ordering a Fabspeed X-pipe to pair with the vanguard and will try to post clips since i know there isn't one yet. I am hoping to get a noticeable power gain with the combo and hopefully the x-pipe will only make the exhaust tone more aggressive and reduce some of the drone at the 2k rpm which what most members notice after they had installed the fabspeed x-pipe to match any aftermarket muffler.

Probably the only downside of the vanguard exhaust and this is definitely a personal preference and will differs between individual is that the tips of the vanguard is too thin for my liking. For me the eisenmann race tips was near perfect. However,the sweet thing about the vanguard tips are that, they are adjustable and it fits perfectly with the vorsteiner type 2 style rear diffuser. It is kinda tight due to the large tips, but it looks great. Something to take note also is that exhaust tips will stick out about half an inch more when it is warmed up, so that is something to consider when you want to adjust the tips. The pictures below shows the tips when it is warm, and it does not stick out that much when it is cold. Some of you may feel it sticks out too much but that is exactly the way i want it to be and am very happy with it.

Overall, i would recommend the system to any1 who are looking for an exhaust with great tone, with very minimal drone and yet not too soft nor too loud. It is quiet when you want it to be, and can be loud when you want it to be too.

Something to take note with the position of the tips is that when the system is cold, the inner tips will approximately be where the outer tips are when it is warm, and you can use your imagination where the outer tips are when it is cold.

Here is a picture of the tips when it is cold:

Hopefully this review will be helpful to those considering getting the vanguard ti exhaust

Last edited by ium3; 02-09-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Great review and the exhaust system looks great! I know Niqui is going to be happy to read this review LOL!

BTW, loving the polished tips better than the burnt.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

The Indos always had nice cars at IUB! Graduated in 07 myself but will be back next weekend, hope to see your car around town!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BC Forged Wheels

Awesome Pictures and Reviews..... and thank you for the Feedback. Just doing my job really =)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Great review and the exhaust system looks great! I know Niqui is going to be happy to read this review LOL!

BTW, loving the polished tips better than the burnt.
haha, yup, cant wait and just leave it in the garage till spring.

thanks a lot man for posting that review up, i am sure it took quite a bit of time and effort and i really appreciate it.

im scared its too loud, with it being only a bit quieter than ur old race exhaust, but since u confirmed that its quiet if you drive sainely in the city thats good. Ill be easy on the pedal around town, and mash it the rest of the time, i was scared its loudish all day long.

i think it looks great on ur car....i went burnt in the end, eager to see how it looks.

i never really undertsood what exaclty drone it, i am very sensitive to noise, but never noticed anything with the stock system, so maybe not sensitive to drone...? like pc whistling and tv crackling i can hear from miles out...

anyways, thanks again, and i hope u enjoy it, that planned setup sounds nuts.

Bought my system from eric too, completely agree: mine shipped last week and answered all my questions, and i ask a lot....would do biz again for sure.
      02-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
haha, yup, cant wait and just leave it in the garage till spring.

thanks a lot man for posting that review up, i am sure it took quite a bit of time and effort and i really appreciate it.

im scared its too loud, with it being only a bit quieter than ur old race exhaust, but since u confirmed that its quiet if you drive sainely in the city thats good. Ill be easy on the pedal around town, and mash it the rest of the time, i was scared its loudish all day long.

i think it looks great on ur car....i went burnt in the end, eager to see how it looks.

i never really undertsood what exaclty drone it, i am very sensitive to noise, but never noticed anything with the stock system, so maybe not sensitive to drone...? like pc whistling and tv crackling i can hear from miles out...

anyways, thanks again, and i hope u enjoy it, that planned setup sounds nuts.

Bought my system from eric too, completely agree: mine shipped last week and answered all my questions, and i ask a lot....would do biz again for sure.
No problem...i'm sure burnt tips would look good too

Don't get me wrong though, this system is way quieter than the eisenmann race if you drive it sainely, what i meant when it is just a bit quieter than the race is when you mash it. Thats when you want to hear them anyways.
      02-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good review. Enjoy the new pipes!
      02-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU328xi View Post
No problem...i'm sure burnt tips would look good too

Don't get me wrong though, this system is way quieter than the eisenmann race if you drive it sainely, what i meant when it is just a bit quieter than the race is when you mash it. Thats when you want to hear them anyways.
thanks man,

yeah, precisely what i want then: a bit over stock in the town but when u mash it, i wanna hear it for sure....
thanks again.

i swear when u mash it with a louder exhaust, it feels like ur going faster...
      02-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

New picture has been added to show the position of the tips when the system is still cold
      02-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

wow the system really expands....thanks for posting that...
      02-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
JayeJaymes
Alien
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2016 M4  [0.00]
great!!!, definitely post some clips with the x-pipe combo
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
WOT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I will also be getting the Vanguard Ti and the Fabspeed HFC and X-pipe. I am waiting until spring. This is a great review of the Vanguard exhaust. Will you get the HFC and X-pipe or just the X-pipe ? Your car looks great.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Great Review. This Exhaust is one of the best all around units you can get for the M3.

Moderate to aggressive tone, Good looking, and lightweight.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
I will also be getting the Vanguard Ti and the Fabspeed HFC and X-pipe. I am waiting until spring. This is a great review of the Vanguard exhaust. Will you get the HFC and X-pipe or just the X-pipe ? Your car looks great.
Great choice. I'm only getting the x-pipe with resonators and no HFC. In fact, it's gonna arrive today
      02-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Fantastic Job man
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Very informative review. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Great review, this is how I feel about the vanguard!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Great review, super nice exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #19
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good review of this exhaust!
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

did u notice the tubing and construction to be very thin? i heard from a few members now that this exhaust just seems like a budget titanium system made of practically sheet titanium....pretty discouraging, but still would like to hear ur input.

thanks man
      02-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #21
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
did u notice the tubing and construction to be very thin? i heard from a few members now that this exhaust just seems like a budget titanium system made of practically sheet titanium....pretty discouraging, but still would like to hear ur input.

thanks man
Well, like i said, the tips are too thin for my liking. As for the entire build, i am not so sure, but at the end of the day, its the performance and sound that you are looking for from an exhaust mod. And this exhaust definitely puts a smile on me whenever i smash the throttle. And there are so many people who own this exhaust and there isn't any complain so far regarding how it holds up.

Plus, i just got the x-pipe installed and the sound now is so much more amazing, in fact it actually reduces the drone noticeably like i had expected as well after reading many fabspeed feedbacks.

Highly recommended getting an x-pipe if you don't mind it getting slightly louder to get a much more aggressive tone. plus, it reduces that slight drone.
      02-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU328xi View Post
Well, like i said, the tips are too thin for my liking. As for the entire build, i am not so sure, but at the end of the day, its the performance and sound that you are looking for from an exhaust mod. And this exhaust definitely puts a smile on me whenever i smash the throttle. And there are so many people who own this exhaust and there isn't any complain so far regarding how it holds up.

Plus, i just got the x-pipe installed and the sound now is so much more amazing, in fact it actually reduces the drone noticeably like i had expected as well after reading many fabspeed feedbacks.

Highly recommended getting an x-pipe if you don't mind it getting slightly louder to get a much more aggressive tone. plus, it reduces that slight drone.
thanks man,
yeah the tips being thin to me is more of an aesthetic thing than a cost cutting maneuver, i was just considered about long term durability, paired with my climate.

but im glad to hear no complaints yet.
does anybody know where this thing is made?

congrats on the xpipe, u must feel a nice little boost, big volume change or just tone and wot?

thanks for all the input.