BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Secret Millionaire

This show is humbling. One of the most heart wrenching shows I've seen... I'll admit it got me choked up a bit at times.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/49659/secr...aire-episode-6

count your blessings

Discuss...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

are you serious
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
are you serious
+1, this show fails sooOoo hard. . .corny/scripted as f*ck. ..

"reality TV FTL, Secret Millionare FTMFL"
      12-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
are you serious
Yes,

I'm not a millionaire... yet, but it helped me remember how blessed I am to have a supportive family that gave me the courage & strength to chase after my dreams & aspirations, the importance of charity in how the smallest actions could have a profound affect on someone, & how lucky I am to be born in the US where every person has the opportunity for greatness. Thats what I got out of it.

My dad came here as an immigrant at 8 years old with my grandparents, aunt & uncle. They all lived together in a 2 bedroom place in the Miami ghetto when they 1st got here. My grandfather was a construction worker & my grandmother was a maid. My dad worked full time & went to school full time as well. He then became a successful banker over time. He left banking to chase his dream once he had the opportunity & is now very successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Count your blessings....
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

no offense, but if it took a fake reality show to remind you of those things then you're easily distracted.

but what you wrote is that it's 'humbling' and 'heart-wrenching' - it's fake reality, poorly scripted. come on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

It's difficult for me to take this show seriously when it is so obviously scripted. First of all, somehow these millionaires are able to locate these "people in need" on their own and these people never ask why there is a camera man following them around? I don't doubt that they are helping people on this show, but it's not really as "secret" as the title suggests.

There was another show that came out a few years ago called Good Samaritan, or something. That was a much better show. They rewarded people who were selfless and came to the aid of the "planted" people in need of help. For example, they planted a guy with a flat tire in a parking lot. The first person who came to his aid and helped him fix his tire received a cash reward. You would be surprised how many people don't want to assist a dude who can't change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

This show is sucks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List

There, now i feel better.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

no offense, but if it took a fake reality show to remind you of those things then you're easily distracted.

but what you wrote is that it's 'humbling' and 'heart-wrenching' - it's fake reality, poorly scripted. come on.
None taken. In my life it seems that 99% of people have no idea how lucky they are to be in this country as well as forget the importance of charity. It's easy to take your family for granted too. "Fake reality" or not, many people do live life like that every day. I know I must sound like a broken jukebox, but remember to count your blessings.

"heart-wrenching" was hearing how kids come home to find that their parents packed up & left them, hearing how a teenage girl had nowhere to sleep, & many more aspects of the show.

I don't see how you could think otherwise. I guess this is a testament to how desensitized we as a nation has become....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
reminds me of my ex w/ bigger boobs lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
It's difficult for me to take this show seriously when it is so obviously scripted. First of all, somehow these millionaires are able to locate these "people in need" on their own and these people never ask why there is a camera man following them around? I don't doubt that they are helping people on this show, but it's not really as "secret" as the title suggests.
They address how in the show. The camera guys tell the people that they are filming a documentary on poverty. Nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

tax break
      12-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post

There, now i feel better.
I find this disturbing

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
IrateSpeed6
¡Roca encendido!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 STi Stage II

Jred upgraded this thread to "non-suck" haha

The show... as others have said is good in its own theory, but has been carried out horribly.

Agreed on the "good samaritan" show...
      12-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Damn..says it can only be streamed from the US>.
      12-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateSpeed6 View Post
Jred upgraded this thread to "non-suck" haha

The show... as others have said is good in its own theory, but has been carried out horribly.

Agreed on the "good samaritan" show...
carried out horribly?

I thought it was a good idea....I mean I know a few people who just go and give to random poor people...:

What's wrong with this show?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

haha I take that back, saw a few eps...wow, talk about generic.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
Yes,

I'm not a millionaire... yet, but it helped me remember how blessed I am to have a supportive family that gave me the courage & strength to chase after my dreams & aspirations, the importance of charity in how the smallest actions could have a profound affect on someone, & how lucky I am to be born in the US where every person has the opportunity for greatness. Thats what I got out of it.

My dad came here as an immigrant at 8 years old with my grandparents, aunt & uncle. They all lived together in a 2 bedroom place in the Miami ghetto when they 1st got here. My grandfather was a construction worker & my grandmother was a maid. My dad worked full time & went to school full time as well. He then became a successful banker over time. He left banking to chase his dream once he had the opportunity & is now very successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Count your blessings....
That's how the US was. Too bad those days are over my friend. Nobody cares about the US anymore or the "dream". This country is going downhill. It was bound to happen, just sad, real sad to see. People had it good for too long and too many took that for granted. And you have to pay back... Geographical distance mattered. Now it doesn't. And people don't have it good anymore. Globalization = the end of the US that once was a dream for many. I'm already makind DR plans of where to move to.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #17
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I'm watching it right now...I'm being entertained so that's a plus.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #18
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Curious... who gets the money? Are they needy people that actually got fucked over or are they just bums who didn't do anything with their lives? No college, no jobs over minimum wage, etc?
________
easy vape
________
homemade vaporizer
________
Buy Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Last edited by stimpy; 02-18-2011 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
That's how the US was. Too bad those days are over my friend. Nobody cares about the US anymore or the "dream". This country is going downhill.
Reports of the demise of the America Dream are somewhat exaggerated. It's still a place where you can be successful if you work your ass off - something most American's aren't willing to do anymore, if they ever were.

One of my neighbors owns his own business and just opened his 2nd location - he came here 5 years ago with $500. He worked 2 jobs for 3 years, living off the income from one while banking the money from the other, higher-paying job.

One of my close friends owns 7 apartment buildings worth several million (even in today's market) - he bought the first by working 3 jobs and building the money over 5 years.

I could do this all day, and the common denominator would be none of the people were born here, but came here because in the US you can work your ass off and get rich, whereas in most of the world, you'll just work your ass off to live.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Reports of the demise of the America Dream are somewhat exaggerated. It's still a place where you can be successful if you work your ass off - something most American's aren't willing to do anymore, if they ever were.

One of my neighbors owns his own business and just opened his 2nd location - he came here 5 years ago with $500. He worked 2 jobs for 3 years, living off the income from one while banking the money from the other, higher-paying job.

One of my close friends owns 7 apartment buildings worth several million (even in today's market) - he bought the first by working 3 jobs and building the money over 5 years.

I could do this all day, and the common denominator would be none of the people were born here, but came here because in the US you can work your ass off and get rich, whereas in most of the world, you'll just work your ass off to live.
Bravo
I have no sympathy for the poor if their condition is their own making. I feel awful for those in squalor due to illness, death in family, etc. I have zero sympathy for those who chose to get pregnant at the age 15 and suck the funds off taxpayers.

Being a fiscal conservative in this liberal city certainly does not help. I worked my @$$ off for my degrees and engineering license. I have no one to thank for my M3. I hear this nonsense about helping those less fortunate all the time. Those living in lousy neighborhoods have zero aspirations and did nothing to improve their lives. The parents could not care less about their kids' education (my wife is a high school teacher) and took the kids to vacation 2 weeks before Christmas break because tickets are cheap... who cares about the finals (WTF???!!!). They had no drive or determination whatsoever and some got pregnant before entering high school. If this is not the root cause of poverty I don't know what is... certainly not misfortune.

For those who lost their jobs due to economic downturn, short term relief must be provided--provided that they had contributed their fair share to the unemployment funds. For those who chose to live off taxpayers, I have no problem seeing them starve to death. If it takes a police state to maintain law and order, I am all for it.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
andyffer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 700hp M3 - Interlagos E92

Garage List
i dont tell people I am a millionaire.
Does that make me a Secret Millionaire?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #22
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
Those people are told that they're filming a documentary so they may or may not know.

Anyhow, I think it's an okay show even though I can tell it's pretty much scripted. Then again, most if not all reality shows are crap. The funny thing is that I actually thought of this show like while back. Well, not this exact show but I thought it might be cool to have rich people (not necessarily millionaires) work or live with average folks to see how it is and perhaps give them some money at the end. I couldn't believe they made a show out of it when I first saw the commercial.
Appreciate 0