BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

01-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

iDrive 2009+ Traffic Question

I don't have an M3 (yet), but have a question on the iDrive.

On the navigation on the 2009+ newer iDrive system, how is live traffic info presented?

Is it something you can see just see in real-time on the map (I would imagine that would be incredibly handy), or is it only communicated when you set a destination in the nav?
      02-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

You'll see a series of black arrows in the direction of heavy traffic on impacted freeways. In my experience, it's been an accurate system.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

If you have a destination set it should reroute you if there is a jam on your primary route.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

yes, it will update as often as google will update their information.
and mine looks just like google map in satellite view, with red, orange, and yellow.
i don't have arrows but the nav will re-guide me around traffic areas. works brilliant IMO and very fast&accurate.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

So it'll show the black arrows anytime, even without setting a destination? If so, pretty sweet.
      02-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
So it'll show the black arrows anytime, even without setting a destination? If so, pretty sweet.
YES...
      02-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

black arrows? On my car the side of the highway/road is color coded by yellow, orange or red depending on how heavy traffic is. It's updated regardless of destination it updates all roads in the vincinity. I believe updates are recieved via FM not google.
      02-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I just wanted to add, live traffic info is marked on the map itself as others have noted, and you can also bring it up as a list on the left side of the screen, if you want to read it. It's sorted by proximity to your current location.

As for the confusion with arrows and color coding, i the arrows are for the 2008 i-drives only showing direction of traffic, it appears the 2009+ can show color or arrows?.

And yes, it works really well, sometimes there are 5 to 15 min delays to post new accidents, but it's a function of the city's reporting system to the data center, here's BMW's disclaimer relating to that:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...I/RTTIFAQ.aspx

it looks like this:

Last edited by mdosu; 02-01-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
If you have a destination set it should reroute you if there is a jam on your primary route.
Dynamic rerouting (or dynamic guidance, whatever it's called) isn't enabled by default, but yes if you check the box you get this rather sweet feature. Although be careful, sometimes it tries to send you along pretty ridiculous routes to avoid pretty minor traffic.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Dynamic rerouting (or dynamic guidance, whatever it's called) isn't enabled by default, but yes if you check the box you get this rather sweet feature. Although be careful, sometimes it tries to send you along pretty ridiculous routes to avoid pretty minor traffic.
+1

I remember it sent me through the canyons this one time, when it was pouring rain and dark at night.... I was in a very unfamiliar area so I just followed it

if it was day time, that would have been a great route..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL yes DO NOT USE it if you are in LOS ANGELES AREA... you will see part of the city that you never expect to see... so i disable mine...
      02-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
LOL yes DO NOT USE it if you are in LOS ANGELES AREA... you will see part of the city that you never expect to see... so i disable mine...
Ouch, yeah I can imagine. This feature would be a lot more useful if after saying "Rerouting due to traffic conditions" there were a button you could click saying "No, go back to routing me along the original route, thanks." without having to disable the feature wholesale. Or maybe have iDrive say "We've detected bad traffic conditions, here's a proposed alternate route, do you want to switch to it?" so you can choose.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Yeah, I've found the rerouting pretty useless. Typically when I'm in heavy Chicago traffic, whatever it reroutes me on is just as bad or worse than just staying on. I have it enabled, and I'm not sure why I do. Another oddity of the feature is that as far as I've found, you can only reroute when it prompts you (basically, you get a message stating traffic is heavy, do you want to reroute). My other complaint is that in the screen where it displays info about current traffic issues, it seems to show everything in the area, not just what is on the selected route, which is useless to me. I've seen a whole page of traffic alerts, and it's hard figuring out which apply. Overall, I think my Garmin did a much better job with live traffic, but I guess YMMV, since some here like it.
      02-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch, yeah I can imagine. This feature would be a lot more useful if after saying "Rerouting due to traffic conditions" there were a button you could click saying "No, go back to routing me along the original route, thanks." without having to disable the feature wholesale. Or maybe have iDrive say "We've detected bad traffic conditions, here's a proposed alternate route, do you want to switch to it?" so you can choose.
oh i forgot to add... it took an extra hour to get home.. stupid redirect route..
      02-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

Does this require any BMW Assist subscription or is it just a part of the car? I have a 2011 and officially my traffic is turned on but I have never seen any traffic info on iDrive. Perhaps it is my city (Columbus, OH) that is too small to have traffic reporting.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Yeah, I've found the rerouting pretty useless. Typically when I'm in heavy Chicago traffic, whatever it reroutes me on is just as bad or worse than just staying on. I have it enabled, and I'm not sure why I do. Another oddity of the feature is that as far as I've found, you can only reroute when it prompts you (basically, you get a message stating traffic is heavy, do you want to reroute). My other complaint is that in the screen where it displays info about current traffic issues, it seems to show everything in the area, not just what is on the selected route, which is useless to me. I've seen a whole page of traffic alerts, and it's hard figuring out which apply. Overall, I think my Garmin did a much better job with live traffic, but I guess YMMV, since some here like it.
+1 on the traffic info display, that irritates me as well. I guess it's in case you're thinking about taking another route yourself, but in that case it'd be nice to have it broken into sections, like "Traffic info along your route" and "Traffic info in your area".

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
Does this require any BMW Assist subscription or is it just a part of the car? I have a 2011 and officially my traffic is turned on but I have never seen any traffic info on iDrive. Perhaps it is my city (Columbus, OH) that is too small to have traffic reporting.
nope it's free indefintely until the contract with BMW drys up with their provider, read the FAQs on the link in my earlier post.

As it relates to Columbus, OH. I've noticed this as well and it's def. accurate. I'm from the Columbus area (HS, college), and though I only go back to visit my parents on weekends/holidays now, there's just not enough traffic in Columbus to report. You should see the list on the DC area on a rainy day, probably 35+ entries.

The term of "traffic disruption" in Columbus terms is nothing vs DC, LA, NYC and other major metro area. For instance, on I-66 here in VA, there's stopped/20mph traffic both ways EVERYDAY and at all hours. This is traffic. No matter how you cut it, the rush hour traffic on SR-315 in Columbus pales in comparison.

BTW, this feature is super useful on interstates in the middle of nowhere, it's very accurate.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
nope it's free indefintely until the contract with BMW drys up with their provider, read the FAQs on the link in my earlier post.

As it relates to Columbus, OH. I've noticed this as well and it's def. accurate. I'm from the Columbus area (HS, college), and though I only go back to visit my parents on weekends/holidays now, there's just not enough traffic in Columbus to report. You should see the list on the DC area on a rainy day, probably 35+ entries.

The term of "traffic disruption" in Columbus terms is nothing vs DC, LA, NYC and other major metro area. For instance, on I-66 here in VA, there's stopped/20mph traffic both ways EVERYDAY and at all hours. This is traffic. No matter how you cut it, the rush hour traffic on SR-315 in Columbus pales in comparison.

BTW, this feature is super useful on interstates in the middle of nowhere, it's very accurate.
Cool - thanks mdosu. I figured that might be the case. I'm certainly not complaining that I live in a place without enough traffic to bother reporting. We have it very easy here. Especially since I moved here from NYC (Manhattan) where there was PLENTY of traffic but I did not yet have this car.

And I really don't use my car much on road trips so it actually hasn't seen much beyond about an hour from the center of town.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335i Conve ...  [8.40]
Know I feel stupid since I didn't even know my car had this option
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
Cool - thanks mdosu. I figured that might be the case. I'm certainly not complaining that I live in a place without enough traffic to bother reporting. We have it very easy here. Especially since I moved here from NYC (Manhattan) where there was PLENTY of traffic but I did not yet have this car.

And I really don't use my car much on road trips so it actually hasn't seen much beyond about an hour from the center of town.
from NYC, man I was preaching to the choir. Completely different lifestyle huh?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #21
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNTHZST View Post
Know I feel stupid since I didn't even know my car had this option
I recommend actually reading your manual sometime -- chances are you'll find several other features that you wouldn't learn about otherwise but will likely help you appreciate your car that much more.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
from NYC, man I was preaching to the choir. Completely different lifestyle huh?
You're not kidding! It's a completely different quality of life equation. My work commute is 22 miles and ranges from 24-28 minutes. My previous work commute was 3.4 miles and ranged from 25-50 minutes (two subway changes). Which meant I had to plan for 50 and hope for 25 very day. I'm also able to park 4 vehicles for free at my house whereas I used to pay $550 /month to park one car 2 blocks away!!
Appreciate 0