BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M40i

Fuc* My Life

So on my way back from the shore, I was going to take the exit to NJ Parkway North and it happened. So as I was approaching the exit, I saw the turnpike sign that said it was coming up. Then the next one showed up, and I said oh ok its going to be here anywhere. Then a turn pops out of nowhere that was angled JUST like the parkway entrance. There was NO LIGHT. As im turning in at around 45 MPH, i realize this isn't the entrance to the parkway rather an entrance to a building that is being constructed on. Then boom i try making the turn without losing control of the car and the best i was able to do was hit the curb that divides the entrance and exit.

The car starts to wobble BIG time. I figured damn, Popped tire and fucked up alignment. I get out my car, no popped tire. CHEWED up rim that I hope isn't bent, and the bottom arm and the tie rod broke. Not one spec on the body of the car thank god.

I spoke to a local mechanic at a Wawa after my car was towed. He told me there has been SOO many people who have done the same exact thing. He told me I should complain to the town because they used to have it closed off for that reason, and recently they opened it back up.
Well all I could do now is think of how much worst it could have been.

$7200 worth of damage. The whole steering thing will have to be replaced, tie rods, the arms, suspension, both wheels, and tires.

Last edited by e92m3allday; 08-03-2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: updated
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

As a New Yorker its my duty to point out that its your fault for being in Jersey. I kid of course. Really sucks, terrible feeling that period of time from when you are inside the car, knowing there is damage to when you get out and actually see what happened. Good luck, shouldnt be too bad......says the guy without the broken tie rod/control arm, rim....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

When that happens in CAlifornia... we call caltrans and we get them to pay for damages... just make sure you take photos of that corner that sign was not anywhere close...
      08-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

wow that really sucks man, but dont worry it could have been way worse
and as long as your ok thats all that matters. I would complain to the town
as the mechanic suggested.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
As a New Yorker its my duty to point out that its your fault for being in Jersey. I kid of course. Really sucks, terrible feeling that period of time from when you are inside the car, knowing there is damage to when you get out and actually see what happened. Good luck, shouldnt be too bad......says the guy without the broken tie rod/control arm, rim....
It was the worst feeling in the world to see the damage after getting out of the car. Now I'm so depressed. This is my first accident and of course its in an area that I'm unfamiliar with. Life sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
When that happens in CAlifornia... we call caltrans and we get them to pay for damages... just make sure you take photos of that corner that sign was not anywhere close...
I hope insurance covers this, if not, I will look into any state departments that I can look to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
wow that really sucks man, but dont worry it could have been way worse
and as long as your ok thats all that matters. I would complain to the town
as the mechanic suggested.
Thanks and yes you are right man. Could have been worst. EXCEPT they just called back and said it was $8000 worth of damage. The whole steering thing will have to be replaced, tie rods, the arms, suspension, both wheels, and tires. One of the screws that attaches the front plastic to the car, ripped out of the plastic which is like not even an inch away from the edge of the plastics. They are saying we have to change the front bumper because of that.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Bob Lutz says that GM cars are designed to withstand curbing that would rip the wheel off other makes. While I believe him, too bad some of that didn't sink in while he was working for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Without knowing who your carrier is, insurance will definitely pay for it but they will probably "adjust" your rates unless you can find some better info on state/local dealings with people in similar situations. Your insurance guy (the agent at your local place you get insurance) would probably be a good person to ask about this stuff. They've generally seen everything and know a lot of this info (especially for NJ as you live there and the accident happened there). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
Bob Lutz says that GM cars are designed to withstand curbing that would rip the wheel off other makes. While I believe him, too bad some of that didn't sink in while he was working for BMW.
Even if a GM car was hitting a curb at 35mph ? Idk man. But if they can withstand that, that's quite impressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Without knowing who your carrier is, insurance will definitely pay for it but they will probably "adjust" your rates unless you can find some better info on state/local dealings with people in similar situations. Your insurance guy (the agent at your local place you get insurance) would probably be a good person to ask about this stuff. They've generally seen everything and know a lot of this info (especially for NJ as you live there and the accident happened there). Good luck.
Insurance guy is at the dealership negotiating the price of the damage. 8000 dollars is a ton of money. The question is, do we want a dealership, or should i say stealership to repair the car? Or do I want a excellent auto body guy we know to repair the car for much cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
97X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

If it's any consolation, Circle BMW in Eatontown has an excellent service department.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Wow, good luck, that's a ton of damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Take your car to another shop and get an estimate just to make sure they arent
ripping you off. That really sucks man I hope everything works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 //M3 6speed

where exactly did this happen? did that sweet sweet exhaust note have you in a daze? or were you possibly getting some dome?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92m3allday View Post
It was the worst feeling in the world to see the damage after getting out of the car. Now I'm so depressed. This is my first accident and of course its in an area that I'm unfamiliar with. Life sucks.

I hope insurance covers this, if not, I will look into any state departments that I can look to.

Thanks and yes you are right man. Could have been worst. EXCEPT they just called back and said it was $8000 worth of damage. The whole steering thing will have to be replaced, tie rods, the arms, suspension, both wheels, and tires. One of the screws that attaches the front plastic to the car, ripped out of the plastic which is like not even an inch away from the edge of the plastics. They are saying we have to change the front bumper because of that.
That sounds about right. I had a very similar experience 2 months ago where I slid the side of the car into a huge curb while trying to turn in the rain. I think my total bill was about 8500.
      08-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97X View Post
If it's any consolation, Circle BMW in Eatontown has an excellent service department.
Great! Thanks! At least now I know it is in good hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Wow, good luck, that's a ton of damage.
Yeah, its sad bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
Take your car to another shop and get an estimate just to make sure they arent
ripping you off. That really sucks man I hope everything works out for you.
Thanks man, insurance just handed the dealership the check for 7200. He negotiated the price down a good thousand. All I pay is the deductible. $500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBMWM3 View Post
where exactly did this happen? did that sweet sweet exhaust note have you in a daze? or were you possibly getting some dome?
It happened in Toms River on route 37 west. I left seaside and was going to take the Parkway North exit. Lol, nope, driving alone man and i was cruising. What gets me pissed off is that this happened when I was doing everything right. No speeding, no road head, no liquor. NOTHING.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
That sounds about right. I had a very similar experience 2 months ago where I slid the side of the car into a huge curb while trying to turn in the rain. I think my total bill was about 8500.
Damn, how does your car drive now after all the repairs? Good like new?
Thats my fear, for it to drive nothing like it did. Well, thankfully insurance covered me but they are literally replacing EVERYTHING necessary to make sure this car is good like new. The repair price is down to 7200.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92m3allday View Post

Damn, how does your car drive now after all the repairs? Good like new?
Thats my fear, for it to drive nothing like it did. Well, thankfully insurance covered me but they are literally replacing EVERYTHING necessary to make sure this car is good like new. The repair price is down to 7200.
Well I just got it back yesterday and so far so good. Although I am scrutinizing every little noise and jerk. But so far so good.
      08-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Well I just got it back yesterday and so far so good. Although I am scrutinizing every little noise and jerk. But so far so good.
What exactly did they replace? And how long did the repair take?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Wow! I'm sorry dude. That's not too far from me, I'll have to make sure I pay attention in that area. I go by the Eatontown BMW (Circle BMW, right?) quite a bit. They are actually a very good dealer. Parts guy is good too. Good luck with all the repairs.
      08-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Where is this death trap so I can avoid it when I come back home from the shore? Sorry to hear that bro. I know how that gut wrenching feeling feels like. I'd rather get kicked in the groin than that.
      08-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Wow! I'm sorry dude. That's not too far from me, I'll have to make sure I pay attention in that area. I go by the Eatontown BMW (Circle BMW, right?) quite a bit. They are actually a very good dealer. Parts guy is good too. Good luck with all the repairs.
Yea Circle BMW. They are very professional and the service manager is a great guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Where is this death trap so I can avoid it when I come back home from the shore? Sorry to hear that bro. I know how that gut wrenching feeling feels like. I'd rather get kicked in the groin than that.
Yea, it was the worst feeling EVER. 2000 miles on the car and this shit has to happen.

The deathtrap is on the highway (Route 37) that takes you straight to the bridge to enter Seaside. Eastbound is heading TOWARDS seaside, and westbound is the opposite way. It happened coming west bound literally 30 yards before the Parkway North entrance.

Search STAPLES Toms River New Jersey. The exit/entrance to that building
is where i turned into. The parkway exit is right after it. In street view, you can see how at night time, the trees make it hard to see the real exit, and the lot entrance looks deceiving.

Its funny because the curb that I hit is basically an island of grass that separates entrance from exit. On Google maps, you can see all the tire marks from other people doing the same thing I did.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #21
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 //M3 6speed

Circle BMW is a very nice very large dealership with above average knowledge sales staff. I bought my CPO'd 08 from them a few months ago. Can't speak for the service dept but like I said sale dept was nice seemed to know their business unlike 99% of dealer sales staff. The finance dept guy Joe is real good although it took an angry call to the GM of the dealer to get him moving on my GAP insurance cancellation when I ReFi'd my loan last month. But after that he moved the process along fairly quickly. In their defense I did stick them on my plates and registration that I felt they played me out on.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #22
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Sorry to hear the news!!

You car is my dream car man! I recently ordered mine and your pics were total inspiration for setting up my wheels.

Ugh, this is horrible horrible news and I'm sure words can't describe how you feel.

Best wishes through this whole ordeal.

Hopefully your GPS didn't direct you into that wrong turn.

Last edited by Peahi; 08-03-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0