BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

06-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

320d vs 520d dilemma

After over 3 years of very nice driving I have sold my 320i E60.
I was looking to buy new the current 320d E60 facelift 177hp when a dealer drew my attention to the favourable pricing of the 520d Business Edition.
In working out prices for both to include Prof Sat Nav & Visibilty Pack etc the 520d is cheaper. In fact to make the prices near identical I could include on the 520d the Head-up Display. (A very nice idea and very tempting!)
Which should I go for? The 320d or the 520d?
Will the one be so much better than the other? Or will it be that the 320d will just be slightly easier to park?
I would appreciate anyone's opinion!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
you cant make up your mind because your priorities are out of whack. You dont know where to begin, and if finding parking is a serious issue for you, definitely consider the 3 series. the 5er however is a beast in terms of comfort, and i think if you can live with struggling for parking jus a bit more, then by all means go for the 5.

Personally, thats not a question, i would immidiately take the five series, but thats because i dont care about parking. Think about it like this, your buying the car to drive in it, not to park it. when your in your investment, your only to be worried about interior and comfort. you can always find a park for a car, and i wouldnt mind spending the extra few minutes searching for a spot if it means im in a more spacious and comfortable vehicle.

So, whatever car you get, make sure to have PDC on front and back, and you'll be safe. either decision you make, you'll be ok. As long as its a bmw, you win.
      06-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
you cant make up your mind because your priorities are out of whack. You dont know where to begin, and if finding parking is a serious issue for you, definitely consider the 3 series. the 5er however is a beast in terms of comfort, and i think if you can live with struggling for parking jus a bit more, then by all means go for the 5.

Personally, thats not a question, i would immidiately take the five series, but thats because i dont care about parking. Think about it like this, your buying the car to drive in it, not to park it. when your in your investment, your only to be worried about interior and comfort. you can always find a park for a car, and i wouldnt mind spending the extra few minutes searching for a spot if it means im in a more spacious and comfortable vehicle.

So, whatever car you get, make sure to have PDC on front and back, and you'll be safe. either decision you make, you'll be ok. As long as its a bmw, you win.

lol Couldn't have said it better!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
ohh, right... i should mention, front PDC is not available in the 3 series btw..... but its not essential.... the rear PDC however is. do not buy your bimmer without it.
      06-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Front PDC is available, though it is an option in the UK.

Really it comes down to what you want the car for and intend to do with it. As someone once posted... 5er = miles 3er = smiles.

But seriously, test drive them both and see how they work for you.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Many thanks to Kiemyster, Mu Mu and mjh93SA for your comments. Its much appreciated!
I had a test drive of a 525d SE and a 320d M Sport. The 525 was very nice and comfortable with plenty of space & nice boot, but I think the M Sport for handling & cornering and general feeling of being 'nippy' takes it.

So I have an enquiry on my BMW dealer for his best price to include:-
Automatic Gearbox(?)
Media Package Professional (Bluetooth prep + Sat Nav Prof etc)
Loudspeaker System Business
Leather Seat Dakota Grey
Heated Front Seats
Visibilty Package (Xenon + Adaptive H/L etc)
Lumbar Support
Head Restraints, rear & folding
USB Interface
Metallic Paint titaniun silver
Folding Rear Mirrors + auto dimming
Park Control Front & Rear
Split Rear Seats
Servotronic steering
Extended Storage
Facia etc Red Brown Eucalyptus(?)

So I am just now awaiting
Best regards to all!

PS To add to my problems I had a test drive of the Jaguar XF 3.0d. (Dare I mention it?) Very nice, smooth, quite & amazing flat cornerin and a quality cabin. What must the 5.0 V8 be like? Decisions! decisions! But it has to be the 320d M sport
Appreciate 0