BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Hey man, that bra may look aweful but it's going to work well against rocks and bugs. However, take it off ASAP because the dirt that collects underneath will chafe bad scratches into your paint.
And if it gets soaked don't let it dry ON the car, especially in high temps. Not good for the paint.

I confess to using these ugly buggers on a few cars when I made cross-country trips between duty stations while in the USMC. As has been noted, despite a tight fit they will eventually flap and get crap between the bra and the car and then they act like sand paper.

Last 4 cars had clear bras. ZERO yellowing issues, AND what you buy now vs what was available in 2004 is even more resistant to yellowing. The key is just to wax it like you wax your paint. I love the newish ZAINO Z-CS --lots of UV protection, clear, long lasting, can be layered with other products and made for both paint and plastic.

Last edited by BigHat; 05-24-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

are your wheels powdercoated? can you give me some details about what you went through, whom you had do it, durability, cost, etc? i really love the look and have been considering it since even before owning the car.

Last edited by ploo; 05-24-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: n/m hadn't read thread
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #47
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrboy View Post
you guys crack me up... If you're not driving your car when it rains or you feel anxiety when going on a roadtrip, you're not using your M3 the way it was supposed to be driven.

Nobody likes to find scuffs or scratches on a car, but... It's only a car. You will get swirl marks, bugs, rock chips and maybe even have a dent here and there... it's practically impossible to avoid all those things if you really enjoy your M and drive it. I'm not saying take it off road and in the snow but if you're that nervous about going on a trip or leaving your car outside, maybe you should be driving a piece of crap, and give your M to someone who will be enjoying it the way it should. I mean What's the point of owning such a car if it makes you change your plans caus you're scared to have normal wear and tear.

I'd rather take a chance and live every moment with my cars, than drive around scared out of my mind with one of those bras... life is too short

+1000 excellent post
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #48
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e xDrive iPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_seng View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #49
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Partially quoting one of the great E*TRADE commercials, you have a better chance or being mauled by a polar bear AND a grizzly bear than you have encountering a hail storm on one specific trip. In short, drive the car and don't worry about the "what if's".

By the way, that bra is absolutely horrible. I would spend rather extra time washing the car to remove bugs after my return or even painting the bumper due to damage than putting that thing on my car. I know you've already bought it, but, I'd leave it in the garage!

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #50
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON View Post
get rid of that bra including the one under your shirt and drive that bish....for fak sake.

M
Now THAT was hilarious!

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #51
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate1234 View Post
Do you have contingency plans for any major tire failures that can't be fixed with the spray stuff in the trunk?
Just like my last flat (crazy tow from Montana to Spokane on BMW's dime...) BMW Assist ACTIVATE!
      05-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #52
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post
Whoa, I went to a Swingers/S&M party and the leather/latex there has nothing on that thing. I'm impressed!
I showed you pics of mine; where's yours from the party????

uh-huh...that' what i thought....
      05-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #53
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
That's not that bad a price considering you probably bought the only one. Considering R&D costs etc, would have expected it to be much more - maybe you have a prototype.....

Have a great trip!
Funny you mentioned that....they are clearanced at BMW due to 'lack of sales...' wonder why???
      05-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #54
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON View Post
get rid of that bra including the one under your shirt and drive that bish....for fak sake.

M
uhhhh......oookaaayyy.......
      05-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #55
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
The way I see it, when you put a bra on a car (clear or otherwise) you're only saving the car for the next person. Do you really think somebody is going to notice/care about any small rock ships on a car? Do you think you'll get more money for the car when you sell it because it has a clear bra? I like my cars braless, just like my women!

hmmmm....that's a good point....maybe I should stop brushing my teeth too....no one will notice a few missing teeth....It's not like I'm going to let anyone see my teeth....oh, wait...
      05-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #56
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo View Post
are your wheels powdercoated? can you give me some details about what you went through, whom you had do it, durability, cost, etc? i really love the look and have been considering it since even before owning the car.
I would share if I could--I actually scored these on Ebay from someone who powdercoated their OEM before buying a set of after-markets. They look awesome keeping the 'OEM' feel.

Got them for $800 bucks too...
      05-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #57
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Take the bra off if it starts to rain. Dirt and pebbles get trapped between the bra and paint when it's raining.

You don't need to worry too much about hail on the west coast. Now in the midwest.... Usually up to quarter size hail will not dent your car. Golf ball size hail will put small dents in your sheet metal. Soft ball and grapefruit size breaks windows and really beats the crap out of a car. This thread over on DFW AC will get your attention: http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4920&highlight=hail