BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Ever got a "fly-by" instead of a "point-by"???

I was going through my videos from my last track day and found that:

Name:  FlyByPass_Web.JPG
Views: 589
Size:  45.2 KB

You can see me wondering "what the hell is going on"??? Should I go over or what... and of course it had to be a corvette doing it Waited the next turn and passed him with a proper point-by.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I guess you were really flying when you caught up to him .
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Good on you to wait and not take action. Proper thing to do. Looks like they both wanted to pit in
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Your shirt is very close to a Chelsea FC shirt, which would suggest that the feedback is both timely and appropriate.

[Or they could be preparing for one of 'those' PCA chapter events were a full cavity search is part of the technical inspection.]
      10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Your shirt is very close to a Chelsea FC shirt, which would suggest that the feedback is both timely and appropriate.

[Or they could be preparing for one of 'those' PCA chapter events were a full cavity search is part of the technical inspection.]
      10-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

You always hear instructors talking about this in the morning drivers' meeting. And every time I think, "Really? Someone would be that stupid to give a straight-up-in-the-air point-by?" I had never seen it in real life. It was a mythical beast, much like Bigfoot, or Nessie, or a Democrat who doesn't want to redistribute all of your earnings. And now here you've revealed it to us for the first time--I can hardly believe it. Corvette drivers...
      10-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
You always hear instructors talking about this in the morning drivers' meeting. And every time I think, "Really? Someone would be that stupid to give a straight-up-in-the-air point-by?" I had never seen it in real life. It was a mythical beast, much like Bigfoot, or Nessie, or a Democrat who doesn't want to redistribute all of your earnings. And now here you've revealed it to us for the first time--I can hardly believe it. Corvette drivers...
I can't remember for sure if they talked about the straight-in-the-air point-by during the drivers meeting that day but most of the time they say something about clear point-by (and often specifically say not to point in the air!). I always think these meetings are long and boring but here is a real life reason why they are needed

They often talk about being predictable on track and by giving me the point-in-the-air (both driver and passenger... unbelievable ), the car in front became unpredictable to me... My immediate reaction was to "pull-back" as, for all I know, he could have very well decided to go left-to-right on track, it was not worth it to take a chance. Once he became predictable and gave me a proper point-by, I took it.
Appreciate 0