BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Throttle delay from stop?

Hi all,

I have a new 2013 E92 M3, DCT. Just passed the 1,200 mile mark and she is going in for service on Friday.

I've noticed, especially if I don't have the Power button on or hit the M button to sharpen throttle response, it seems like there is a good amount of delay and/or softness when I accelerate from a stop. EG: I'll press the pedal in a little bit, normally I would expect the car to start reving up a bit and to move forward. It seems like in the M3, I need to press the pedal in a bit further than any other car I've driven to get it to go forward.

I THINK this is reduced when I have the Power or M buttons turned on, but that could just be a placebo.

I had an E46 ZHP before (6MT) and this is my first DCT car, so I am not sure if this is by nature of the DCT or if there is something wrong or if this can be adjusted with a tune. It certainly feels unnatural to me. It has the same symptoms in both automatic and manual mode.

Thanks in advance for any info.
      12-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

What S or D setting are you driving in to get this?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_D View Post
Hi all,

I have a new 2013 E92 M3, DCT. Just passed the 1,200 mile mark and she is going in for service on Friday.

I've noticed, especially if I don't have the Power button on or hit the M button to sharpen throttle response, it seems like there is a good amount of delay and/or softness when I accelerate from a stop. EG: I'll press the pedal in a little bit, normally I would expect the car to start reving up a bit and to move forward. It seems like in the M3, I need to press the pedal in a bit further than any other car I've driven to get it to go forward.

I THINK this is reduced when I have the Power or M buttons turned on, but that could just be a placebo.

I had an E46 ZHP before (6MT) and this is my first DCT car, so I am not sure if this is by nature of the DCT or if there is something wrong or if this can be adjusted with a tune. It certainly feels unnatural to me. It has the same symptoms in both automatic and manual mode.

Nothing wrong. Typical of a part-throttle start off.

You can try a higher level Drivelogic mode if you aren't at 4 or 5 already. Remember the electronics are predicting what you want to do based on a program, it is by definition imperfect and won't replicate your experience with a manual and a clutch pedal where you are in full control and your brain is the programmer.

By the way the BPM tune seems to help this.
      12-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
TOSKABG
vekize
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92/ZCP/DCT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_D View Post
Hi all,

.100% normal for DCT...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Thats how it feels with the power button off..which is why mine is always on
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
querhoch
Rep
Drives: honda

You can try a higher level Drivelogic mode if you aren't at 4 or 5 already.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
m0da
in the right lane
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 m3

This happens in D4/D5, with or without the power button set.

It's normal w/the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad to hear it's normal for the DCT and it's not something I need to get looked at.

I've been using D4, but switched to D5 tonight and did notice a very slight improvement.
      12-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Go to track. DCT AWESOME
      12-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_D
Thanks for the input everyone. Glad to hear it's normal for the DCT and it's not something I need to get looked at.

I've been using D4, but switched to D5 tonight and did notice a very slight improvement.
Yea you get used to it after a while. I've taught myself some tricks to keep the throttle response up and down shifting faster when I need it most, like blipping the throttle to force a down shift then accelerating in a lower helps. Helps for passing cars =P

I drive in D4 with power on and from a light ill go like 30% pedal to get the car moving then ease off as the car gets moving to maintain a consistent rate. A tune helps a lot too. Velos ftw
      12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Another thing that may be a factor is that the car is very aggressive about adjusting to the driver. When my daughter drives my car even for just a short trip somewhere its in grannyitis when I go to drive it and everything is slower in drive mode, moving from a stop, shifts, everything. It goes away fairly quickly also as it adjusts to my style. Anyhow several people here have reported sluggish behavior from the DCT when they first got the car and it turned out they were just babying it during break in and the DCT was shifting to suit their driving.

Would also suggest you consider driving some in sequential, everything seems to work better there. As others have said though this is how the DCT starts out the car from a stop. Before long you get used to digging more peddle right at the start and backing back out of it as the car takes off and then getting back into throttle as the clutch fully engages. The DCT takes some time to acclimate to, or at least that was my experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
You need a tune to fix that

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
T_D
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You need a tune to fix that
Good info everyone, thanks. Mike - I plan on getting a tune as soon as I decide which exhaust I want.