BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Laser interceptors without radar detector?

I'm trying to decide what to do for laser/radar, and it seems everyone I've talked to thinks WSP is going all laser. See this old thread for the gist of what I'm hearing from people I've talked to.

Is there anyone running laser protection only? I do want radar protection, but I want a clean install, and would hate to buy the 9500ci for its radar only. (The ZR4s would be useless next to the LI). Laser Interceptor would be my choice, and the install for this would be much stealthier than even the 9500ci. Maybe add the STI-R or a stealth install V1 or 9500ix later on?

Thanks for any recommendations...
      04-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Got word from someone more knowledgable that WSP still uses a fair amount of radar. That and Seattle started using "speed on green" cameras. Looks like it's a dual setup with a GPS-enabled detector in my future.
      04-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking I have a Laser interceptor and use it with a V1 hard wired

You have to use your laser Jammer with some type of radar detector just for the extra protection . It is not best to get one thing without the other . I use my LI with the V1 because I want to know what direction I need to be looking out for. The police maybe using laser but that patrol car still has some type of radar in it as well. it is better to be safe than sorry take a look at my pics the last two you can see my V1 is hard wired by the rear view mirror, and the last pic front view you can see how it looks with the radar detector sitting up high by the rear view mirror and laser sensors in the center of the car. never mind the other two black things on the left and right far sides those are deer deterents got to do what I can to keep bambi away
Attached Images

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Looks like you have the same LI install I'll be going for (both bubbles out, though). Where did you mount your switch? May attempt the in-grill vertical install, depending on what I can come up with to get them securely mounted and level.

Still debating on the 9500ix vs V1. The LI has a new V1-connection function, which would be nice, but the false alerts and lack of GPS kill me. The ideal setup for me would be the 9500ci with the ZR4 heads in a trashcan, with LI's installed instead.

Last edited by schadenfreude; 04-28-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Looks like you have the same LI install I'll be going for (both bubbles out, though). Where did you mount your switch? May attempt the in-grill vertical install, depending on what I can come up with to get them securely mounted and level.

Still debating on the 9500ix vs V1. The LI has a new V1-connection function, which would be nice, but the false alerts and lack of GPS kill me. The ideal setup for me would be the 9500ci with the ZR4 heads in a trashcan, with LI's installed instead.

My switch is located on the driver side below the steering colum you can see the part of the pedals clucth, brake pedal, the location of the light when the door is open you can see the general area. I don't have anymore pictures I can post because I am in the military and I am currently deployed in Iraq I hope this stuff was helpful
Attached Images

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
My switch is located on the driver side below the steering colum you can see the part of the pedals clucth, brake pedal, the location of the light when the door is open you can see the general area. I don't have anymore pictures I can post because I am in the military and I am currently deployed in Iraq I hope this stuff was helpful
Certainly is, thanks!
      04-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Did you do the install? I'm planning on relocating the heads on mine from behind the grilles to the same place yours are, but I'm having trouble finding a path for the wires.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
The ideal setup for me would be the 9500ci with the ZR4 heads in a trashcan, with LI's installed instead.
That is EXACTLY where I am at (I know jammers are illegal in CO, but if just a fine, might be worth it. Also, can switch off as soon as I get the hit. Perhaps should only go with radar detection, but I'd like the added protection...).

Anyone have an alternative for the above? I'd rather not have a V1 or Xi hanginging over my head by the rearview mirror...

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

@SHADY - when you get back I need to find out where (if not self-) you had all this done in AUS. What LI are you running?

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
I hope this stuff was helpful
Very helpful.

Stay safe.

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCane View Post
That is EXACTLY where I am at (I know jammers are illegal in CO, but if just a fine, might be worth it. Also, can switch off as soon as I get the hit. Perhaps should only go with radar detection, but I'd like the added protection...).

Anyone have an alternative for the above? I'd rather not have a V1 or Xi hanginging over my head by the rearview mirror...
The STI-R is an option if you don't need GPS, unfortunately, thats one of the things I want in a detector.
      04-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

I think it really depends on what is used in your area. If it was only laser being used by the LEOs then that's all you need but if there's any use of traditional radar guns, then a detector is what you're going to need. For my area, typically you'll only see laser with the traffic enforcement officers in the city but occasionally there will be officers driving around with radar and also the photo radar is well... radar based. Also when I'm out of town the RCMP tend to use more radar then laser so I have both.

SHADY1, quick question, I imagine your setup has been quite effective for yourself? I don't have my LI units installed yet but I was considering mounting them the same way as you but I was worried they would be too low. That's quite the badass M3 btw. Wow.
      04-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:

can you post link where i can read more about connection to V1 ?

V1 and LI I think is the best combo ... I love it ! It would be nice to link them together
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolo View Post
I think it really depends on what is used in your area. If it was only laser being used by the LEOs then that's all you need but if there's any use of traditional radar guns, then a detector is what you're going to need. For my area, typically you'll only see laser with the traffic enforcement officers in the city but occasionally there will be officers driving around with radar and also the photo radar is well... radar based. Also when I'm out of town the RCMP tend to use more radar then laser so I have both.

SHADY1, quick question, I imagine your setup has been quite effective for yourself? I don't have my LI units installed yet but I was considering mounting them the same way as you but I was worried they would be too low. That's quite the badass M3 btw. Wow.
The LI is not sitting to low this is around the area if you had a front plate they will sit. The police is going to shoot at the center first. I have no front plate and I been shot at twice so far.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
-

@SHADY - when you get back I need to find out where (if not self-) you had all this done in AUS. What LI are you running?
I will be more than glad to show you or tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Did you do the install? I'm planning on relocating the heads on mine from behind the grilles to the same place yours are, but I'm having trouble finding a path for the wires.
I did not install this myself. I went on the E90 post and did a for DIY laser interceptor made a copy of the install took it to the local shop so they can see how to get pass the M3 firewall. I had the same shop hard wire my V1 and that was it.

Here is the do it yourself thread I used and gave a copy to the shop to use for a example :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=diy+install

boy this took a good minute to find.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #16
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
can you post link where i can read more about connection to V1 ?

V1 and LI I think is the best combo ... I love it ! It would be nice to link them together
I didn't read through the thread... I guess I should but here's some info I got from radardetector.net
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...-dreaming.html

Quote:
The LI is not sitting to low this is around the area if you had a front plate they will sit. The police is going to shoot at the center first. I have no front plate and I been shot at twice so far.
Thanks for the info! It's just that when going through the mounting diagram, it seems fairly low. If I could do a horizontal mount in the grill without it being obstructed, I would. Good to hear that the system works!!
      04-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #17
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

I got the 9500ci system and it will be installed next week. So the ZR4 heads are garbage? I was going to get them installed behind the mesh at the front, I wonder if this would make them totally useless. Pencilgeeks seemed to work nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:13 AM   #18
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
I will be more than glad to show you or tell you.

I did not install this myself. I went on the E90 post and did a for DIY laser interceptor made a copy of the install took it to the local shop so they can see how to get pass the M3 firewall. I had the same shop hard wire my V1 and that was it.

Here is the do it yourself thread I used and gave a copy to the shop to use for a example :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=diy+install

boy this took a good minute to find.

Exactly how I installed mine, minus drilling the holes for the wires to pass through the front bumper. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
I got the 9500ci system and it will be installed next week. So the ZR4 heads are garbage? I was going to get them installed behind the mesh at the front, I wonder if this would make them totally useless. Pencilgeeks seemed to work nicely.
I have a friend that likes the ZR4s, but theres just too much punch-thru in a lot of the tests I've read. I want the best for my car.
      04-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking My wife Honda has a M25 Blinder

On my wife Honda It has a Blinder M25, BelSTi driver Radar detector,Veal laser stealth on the headlights,and a Laser shield cover on the front license plate. This car has been hit 7 or 8 times by laser. Oh and by the way 3 of those times was on purpose for a little small revenge or should I say pay back on the military police for trying to be slick I am going try to make a long story short. I was on the Military base I was stationed on and the military police like to hide and set up speed traps at lunch time. So I saw the speed trap and I wanted to see if my M25 blinder really would work and Jam the military police pro laser III gun. So I was driving the speed limit came across the Military police man sitting in his patrol car with his laser gun Suddenly My blinder went off BEEEEEEEPPP and my BelSti driver went off "LASER ALERT" "LASER ALERT" (at this point in time when this happens you are suppose to turn your blinder off so it won't Jam them and they can get a reading) Well I left it on and drove right by him, the look on his face was priceless WTF he was checking his laser gun trying to figure out what just happen I jammed his pro laser III gun
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

here are some results from " Guys of Lidar "

http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008...mmer-test.html

You can see that ZR4 are not even close to LI
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #22
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

WOW ... So V1 and LI will be the best protection ever !

Quote:
All newly purchased LI's are now V1 Enabled as well as they now have a provision for a User Selectable Timed Jamming Mode; Constant Jamming Mode is the default. Those wishing to upgrade will be able to purchase Upgraded V1 CPU's within 30 days. More info. will be available on the LI-USA Website at that time. Please email me off the Forum for additional inquires.
Appreciate 0