BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

09-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #177
gbpackersfan11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche 958

Garage List
Would you say these are the best upgrades out there? other then the OEM BMW led upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #178
simon2013
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Just installed the V.4, and I have to say, I can't stop staring at them.

Took a few snapshots with my phone, not the best pics, but I'm liking the lens flare.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #179
mofbb
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackersfan11 View Post
Would you say these are the best upgrades out there? other then the OEM BMW led upgrade.
Is there a OEM BMW led upgrade????

E9X Picture Game: 2 points (Slow sign, Leaves)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #180
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofbb View Post
Not that i have ever heard of. was probably referring to the new cars that come with led angel eyes from the factory
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #181
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

so I have had the Lux V4 in my car (e92) for a few months and they are great but I just installed a set in my friends e90 and they do the horrible fade with flicker on shutdown, only when lights are on auto.

Can this be programmed out through coding? any other fix?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #182
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

So after much debate, I finally installed these this morning on my late 2011 build m3. I am actually fine with the halogen coronas when the car is running, be it night time, day time, its fine. It does its job. In fact I see it as a hallmark of the e9x m3s, as we were left out of the front LCI facelift. The problem that I have, and this is the OCD side of me, is at night when I unlock the doors and the welcome lights come on. The door handles and license plate are lit via LEDs, and then you have these halogen coronas sticking out like a sore thumb. That bothers me. And after having my friend follow me on a long road trip with his Lux v3s in an e92, I felt they held up really well in the daylight. So I finally pulled the trigger on the v4s. The look I was hoping for was bright white, OEMish. I fully realized after examining the stock halogens that there is no way to get the current OEM look. Even with the halogens the outer ring is not as bright as the inner ring, and further more the light changes with the angle. No aftermarket PNP option can overcome the limitations of BMWs original design. But I was hoping to get something that looked better than the halogens, especially at night with the welcome lights.

Installation was a PITA. I have long fingers, and after bloodying them for a few minutes I discovered a trick. To get them in you have to guide the BACK first down into the light housing and then maneuver the LED into the socket. There is no room to put the LED down first and then turn it into the socket. Once I did this it was a snap. Unfortunately you still have to lock them in, which is tough as there is very little to hold on to when turning. I turned them as much as I could, and the rubber seal is flush with the socket, but I'm still not sure they are fully locked in. Also, I have changed bulbs many times before, and I am a stickler about not letting the glass touch anything on the way in, but there is no way for that to happen in these housings, there is just no room. I'm sure there is some grime on the LEDs, I hope this doesn't lead to an early failure.

First impressions: 12000k is BLUE. Not LEO blue, but as blue as it can be without being LEO blue. Pictures really do not show how blue it really is. And I apologize for the iphone 4s photos, I was really excited to put them in this morning that I didn't grab my good camera on my way out. If you live in a state where LEO is a stickler for regulations, I would not run these at 12000k on the road. On the flip side, 12000k shows up really well in sunlight.

Second impression: 5000k is really white, but the higher settings, at least to my eye, appeared brighter. This is in direct sunlight, early morning, 8ish.

Third impression: I know Lux claims otherwise, but at and above 5700k there are blue blobs that appear from different angles. At 6300k it was bad to my eye. So I really didn't consider anything above 5700k. I tried to capture it in these pictures, you can see it better if you keep the image small. I really wanted to stay at 5700k because of the apparent brightness, but the blobs really did bother me.

So I set them both to 5200k and called it a day. Still brighter than 5000k to my eye, but without the blue blobs you saw at higher, cooler temps. Below are pics in direct as I can make it sunlight and with the sun behind the car.

Finally in regards to flicker. I have no problem with flicker at all. When shutting down for a split second, and I mean split second, I had to go frame by frame of the video I recorded to be sure, the ring turns blue before shutting off. I couldn't see it with my naked eye. But definitely no flicker.

Overall I am very pleased, and excited for dusk so I can see these in their full glory with the welcome lights. They are not as bright as the current OEM LEDs, but they do the job for me and look good, even in direct sun. Thanks Lux!
      09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #183
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Thanks for Posting those pictures!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #184
jrxe92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

=D
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #185
vassil_bk
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Man

Hello guys,

I bought recently a pair of DTEC H8 E92 M3 V2 AMBER LED angel eyes from E92-Lighting.com. This one to be more precise: http://www.e92-lighting.com/bmw-ange...0-m3-v2-amber/

But actually my stock halogen H8 bulbs are much brighter than the LED ones...

How do you make your rings look so bright with the LED bulbs? Do you make any changes by coding the car so that the light module gives higher voltage to the rings? If 'yes' which are the options to code?

Thank you,
Vassil
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #186
MWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassil_bk View Post
Hello guys,

I bought recently a pair of DTEC H8 E92 M3 V2 AMBER LED angel eyes from E92-Lighting.com. This one to be more precise: http://www.e92-lighting.com/bmw-ange...0-m3-v2-amber/

How do you make your rings look so bright with the LED bulbs? Do you make any changes by coding the car so that the light module gives higher voltage to the rings? If 'yes' which are the options to code?

Thank you,
Vassil
You da man, Vassil!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #187
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thank you,
Vassil
Simple, you return the ones you bought and buy the LUX H8 V4. Out lights are designed to be 100% brightness all the time. These ones you have dim to 1/3 brightness. Running them at full power is not what they are designed for
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #188
MWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Simple, you return the ones you bought and buy the LUX H8 V4. Out lights are designed to be 100% brightness all the time. These ones you have dim to 1/3 brightness. Running them at full power is not what they are designed for
This man speaks the truth.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #189
vassil_bk
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Thank you very much for the fast response! Unfortunately it is a bad luck I found this thread after I already bought the other pair... Now I have to spent $200 more + shipping... Anyway it is my bad...

I have two more question though:
1. Is the LUX Amber angel eyes also V4? This one to be more precise: http://luxangeleyes.com/products/lux-h8-amber
Will this be as bright as the one with adjustable color that the people posted pictures in this thread?

2. If the pair I already bought run at 2.1V and 300mA right now and I put other resistors so that they run at 2.1V and 500mA for example (this is the maximum for the CREE XLamps) will this increase their brightness? I know that this will not be even close to the LUX ones but will it make things at least a little better...?

Last edited by vassil_bk; 10-08-2013 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #190
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for the fast response! Unfortunately it is a bad luck I found this thread after I already bought the other pair... Now I have to spent $200 more + shipping... Anyway it is my bad...

I have two more question though:
1. Is the LUX Amber angel eyes also V4? This one to be more precise: http://luxangeleyes.com/products/lux-h8-amber
Will this be as bright as the one with adjustable color that the people posted pictures in this thread?

2. If the pair I already bought run at 2.1V and 300mA right now and I put other resistors so that they run at 2.1V and 500mA for example (this is the maximum for the CREE XLamps) will this increase their brightness? I know that this will not be even close to the LUX ones but will it make things at least a little better...?
1)The amber ones are from the V3's, but Amber LED's are not as bright as their white counterparts. They are simply not aas efficent.

2) Not sure what you are referring to about this. No white LED's that i know of run at 2.1v 300mA. Please send me an e-mail to Sales@LuxAngelEyes.com if you wanted to talk more about this as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #191
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Will we ever see a V4 version, but with just "one" color...say 6000k? Or whatever the brightest color? I ask because if I'm keeping my M3 for the long haul, and if my V3 eventually burns out...what then?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #192
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Will we ever see a V4 version, but with just "one" color...say 6000k? Or whatever the brightest color? I ask because if I'm keeping my M3 for the long haul, and if my V3 eventually burns out...what then?
You mean v5?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #193
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
LED life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
LEDs seldom "burn out" - what happens is their lumen output decreases over time. Architectural LED have a useful life between 20,000 - 50,000 hours. Not sure about automotive ones -- I'm guessing somewhat less due to difficulty in heat dissipation.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #194
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
LED retrofits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofbb View Post
Closest thing is here: http://ossdesigns.net/. Superior to any bulb retrofit, but a lot more expensive and inconvenient (unless you live in the Miami area).

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #195
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I'll do $199 for a set if anyone has them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #196
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
LUX V4 install

Just installed the V4s to replace an HID system (Camaro305ss). The HIDs were almost too bright and bulbs seemed to go out every 1 1/2 years or so. I also didn't like all the extra ballasts and wiring associated with the HIDs. It felt good to rip all that junk out from under the hood.

The LUX V4s were a snap to install (even with my fair sized hands), but I'd had practice before with the HID bulbs. I used an inspection mirror to verify the tab orientation, put them in base down then pulled back up into the hole, rotated till the fit in then rotated a bit more to lock them. The large diameter bases on the V4s actually makes them easier to rotate than the smaller diameter halogens or HIDs. Nice product, LUX!

I left them at factory 5k setting for now, which I think looks fine. I haven't seen them in sunlight yet, but I think they'll be fine. If I was going to keep the car a while I'd do the OSS Designs LED rings, but I'll be getting the M4 next Spring.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #197
gymtime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I really want to get these but the only concerning thing to me is the flickering on shut down if the lights are in auto. However, some people say that they experience no flicker and others say they have it. What is the deal with that?

What I'm talking about (the flicker to pure blue and then shut down). Looks very after market and cheap to me:

Why do some people have the flicker and others don't?

Last edited by gymtime; 10-27-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #198
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
I really want to get these but the only concerning thing to me is the flickering on shut down if the lights are in auto. However, some people say that they experience no flicker and others say they have it. What is the deal with that?

What I'm talking about (the flicker to pure blue and then shut down). Looks very after market and cheap to me:

Why do some people have the flicker and others don't?
Mine do that, but can't say it really bothers me.
Appreciate 0