BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Are refurbished wheels painted?

I know it's a generic question but I couldn't find much on the web.

My 2011 M3 tried to share space and time with a guard rail (note: don't let friends drive your car unless they can afford to buy it). The right side wheels were both beat up and the tires flat. The body guy said he'd have his wheel guy look at them and probably sign off on a new set of wheels.

Well, fast forward 13 weeks and I get my car back. I had to change tires so I pulled the wheels and immediately noticed my right side wheels have a rougher feel on parts of the lip and in the barrel. I also think they look slightly different. Paperwork notes they were repaired. The OEM 359's have a silver shine while the redone pair look just a hair different - very slightly whiter.

Only certain areas on the lip were damaged. Would they spray the entire wheel?

The car has to go back because the sprayed quarter panel looks bad and I'm going to push to have them replace the wheels. It was a show car before the accident and after $25k in repairs on a high performance car, I can't see why they'd refurbish the wheels. Honda Accord, sure. Garage queen M3? No.

Any thoughts or insight?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Yes they are painted just like oem wheels. The whole wheel is also cleared.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Ah. Well, they did a bad job then.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

They should respray a base and then a clear over it. Lots of fly by night places skimp on doing it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I know it's a generic question but I couldn't find much on the web.

My 2011 M3 tried to share space and time with a guard rail (note: don't let friends drive your car unless they can afford to buy it). The right side wheels were both beat up and the tires flat. The body guy said he'd have his wheel guy look at them and probably sign off on a new set of wheels.

Well, fast forward 13 weeks and I get my car back. I had to change tires so I pulled the wheels and immediately noticed my right side wheels have a rougher feel on parts of the lip and in the barrel. I also think they look slightly different. Paperwork notes they were repaired. The OEM 359's have a silver shine while the redone pair look just a hair different - very slightly whiter.

Only certain areas on the lip were damaged. Would they spray the entire wheel?

The car has to go back because the sprayed quarter panel looks bad and I'm going to push to have them replace the wheels. It was a show car before the accident and after $25k in repairs on a high performance car, I can't see why they'd refurbish the wheels. Honda Accord, sure. Garage queen M3? No.

Any thoughts or insight?
Only after a while after I got mine I noticed the 359' didn't quite had that shiny nice look. Went back to the dealer who said f@@k off...

Damaged one wheel, went to a proper shop who painted OEM color. Really nice but then of course didn't match the other 3. So now need to paint them too....

Anyhow, the OEM color in fact is very nice, and the rims comes out like brand new when done properly.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0