BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

MB C63, Audi RS4 or BMW M3?

Let's see who is faster around this track. Sorry if the video has been already posted. It came up when I was trying to prove a bet.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I could watch this all day long
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

For those who live on racetracks, this could be important. For the 99% of owners of these cars who do not track, it is not so important. The driver who takes an occasional on or off ramp fast or goes quickly down a twisty road will be happy with any of these cars and should choose the one that he likes the most for the 99% of his driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

I'm with you pb. Even people are happy buying Mustangs, GTR even Prius. That's ok. But overall, did you like the comparison? The M3 won by a lot!!! I love this cars. Yes the 3 of them. Of course the Queen is.....the M3!!!!. I was a MB lover and probably I'm still one but the M3 stands by itself. As I mature I will understand and maybe start liking Bentlys and RR. Lol. Thanks for the post
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

they made a update to the c63 which made improvements, not to mention the 507 package. the RS4 is a dated car, the RS5 is a better comparison to the the E92.

this review IMO was done when the E92 just came out, and was king for the time being. a 507 c63 would probably beat a E92 M3 ZCP around a track.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
they made a update to the c63 which made improvements, not to mention the 507 package. the RS4 is a dated car, the RS5 is a better comparison to the the E92.

this review IMO was done when the E92 just came out, and was king for the time being. a 507 c63 would probably beat a E92 M3 ZCP around a track.
i hope it does when you add that much power
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

Now my question is, does the new M4 beat either the C63 or the RS5? how good is the M4?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Now my question is, does the new M4 beat either the C63 or the RS5? how good is the M4?
the M4 is a kind of a monster on the track from what i heard.

the new C63 is out also btw. the cars in the video are all older generation cars. plenty of threads over in the F80 section about the M4 vs C63.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
dbc112
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F5 Cobra Kit, S4's, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
For those who live on racetracks, this could be important. For the 99% of owners of these cars who do not track, it is not so important. The driver who takes an occasional on or off ramp fast or goes quickly down a twisty road will be happy with any of these cars and should choose the one that he likes the most for the 99% of his driving.
Ditto.. I have owned a lot of "fast" cars in the past, S4's, kit cars, and I always focused on track comparisons. Now that I finally own a previously enjoyed E92 M3, this is more car than I will ever need.... Dont care what others says, what it looses to, or wins by. To me, it just has the balance and power I have always been searching for.

All of those cars rule in one way shape or form...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Track comparisons are always fun as somewhat of an objective measure of a car's ultimate performance. Having said that, it's also not what's going to get me to spend my money on it. The Audi could have have run 5 seconds faster than the M3 and I still wouldn't be that interested in it. Which is somewhat ironic as a lifelong VW fan. Audi cars just seem so boring, both in styling and driving experience. Other than the R8 and maybe the TT-RS, they just don't move me.

However, that might just be a full admission of my lack of experience in performance Audi as I used to think the same about anything with a 3 pointed star on the grille. And then I rented a C63 from Hertz when I visited Napa/Sonoma last fall. That car is absolutely a monster. I didn't expect much from but was blown away by how much fun I had with it--even that wording doesn't quite capture it. While the SO was snoozing in one morning, I took out the c63 one morning to attack the neighboring mountain roads. It struck me as very competent car in its own right that could certainly handle aggressive back road driving. It wasn't anywhere near as squirely as the video makes it seem. The brakes were much more aggressive than the M3, but on the other side of the fence, the ride is absolutely brutal driving normally on the street and the transmission doesn't do normal driving. It all came together when throwing it around the back roads. If I wasn't a manual transmission snob and I could find one for a good deal near me, I could seriously see myself owning on.

The e9x M3 has a very different personality. It drives both slow and fast with equal grace. The ride (I have the adjustable suspension) can be soft or hard, but even at its hardest setting, it's nowhere near as aggressive as the C63. And of course, it's not as pretty as the m3, either. I have a massive amount of respect for the previous C63, but the my particular e92 just fits me better as an overall driving experience.

If finances allowed, I'd love to own both a C63 and the M3. The RS4 would not be a consideration, but I could see owning a q5 or q7 for daily driving/tow vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
swagkingcole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Track comparisons are always fun as somewhat of an objective measure of a car's ultimate performance. Having said that, it's also not what's going to get me to spend my money on it. The Audi could have have run 5 seconds faster than the M3 and I still wouldn't be that interested in it. Which is somewhat ironic as a lifelong VW fan. Audi cars just seem so boring, both in styling and driving experience. Other than the R8 and maybe the TT-RS, they just don't move me.

However, that might just be a full admission of my lack of experience in performance Audi as I used to think the same about anything with a 3 pointed star on the grille. And then I rented a C63 from Hertz when I visited Napa/Sonoma last fall. That car is absolutely a monster. I didn't expect much from but was blown away by how much fun I had with it--even that wording doesn't quite capture it. While the SO was snoozing in one morning, I took out the c63 one morning to attack the neighboring mountain roads. It struck me as very competent car in its own right that could certainly handle aggressive back road driving. It wasn't anywhere near as squirely as the video makes it seem. The brakes were much more aggressive than the M3, but on the other side of the fence, the ride is absolutely brutal driving normally on the street and the transmission doesn't do normal driving. It all came together when throwing it around the back roads. If I wasn't a manual transmission snob and I could find one for a good deal near me, I could seriously see myself owning on.

The e9x M3 has a very different personality. It drives both slow and fast with equal grace. The ride (I have the adjustable suspension) can be soft or hard, but even at its hardest setting, it's nowhere near as aggressive as the C63. And of course, it's not as pretty as the m3, either. I have a massive amount of respect for the previous C63, but the my particular e92 just fits me better as an overall driving experience.

If finances allowed, I'd love to own both a C63 and the M3. The RS4 would not be a consideration, but I could see owning a q5 or q7 for daily driving/tow vehicle.
It is as squirly, if not more so than the video suggests if you turn the traction control all the way off. It's about 450 lb ft of torque on a very under tired rear section, plus the rental likely has no LSD.

I've owned both cars, tracked and auto crossed both, and the m3 feels far more manageable w everything turned off. Which is a bad idea on public roads but is what the car actually is, under the nannies.

The amg has amazing brakes but feels way heavier once you start pushing toward the limits. None of this really matters since we rarely push our cars like that. The amg has such a unique character and mind boggling engine. Both cars are great in their own right
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post

That may be correct, but keep in mind that the Benz didn't lose to the M3 because it lacked power. Adding more power doesn't address the control issues that slowed down the previous version. Those of us who have been Top Gear enthusiasts for a long time remember how the previous-generation Mustang GT fared against the 190 bhp Lotus Elise on the track (and it wasn't pretty if you are a blue oval fan). Making power and effectively using it are 2 different things.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Let's see who is faster around this track. Sorry if the video has been already posted. It came up when I was trying to prove a bet.

And once again...... How Can You Argue With That!!! ///M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc112 View Post
Ditto.. I have owned a lot of "fast" cars in the past, S4's, kit cars, and I always focused on track comparisons. Now that I finally own a previously enjoyed E92 M3, this is more car than I will ever need.... Dont care what others says, what it looses to, or wins by. To me, it just has the balance and power I have always been searching for.

All of those cars rule in one way shape or form...
Well Said!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
That may be correct, but keep in mind that the Benz didn't lose to the M3 because it lacked power. Adding more power doesn't address the control issues that slowed down the previous version. Those of us who have been Top Gear enthusiasts for a long time remember how the previous-generation Mustang GT fared against the 190 bhp Lotus Elise on the track (and it wasn't pretty if you are a blue oval fan). Making power and effectively using it are 2 different things.
So wait, you are considering the C63 to be similar to an ancient mustang? Worse yet, you find a track comparison between a car that's raison d'être is driving on the track with a car that has no track aspirations in the least a valid comparison?

For the average driver, you're likely to find that most people will be faster in the M3 because the torque curve is not overwhelming and what it does have is well matched to the tires. The C63 is a monster, that as mentioned above, can easily overpower (out torque) the standard sized tires. The capabilities of both cars, frankly, are above the capabilities of the average driver, so arguing about what reviewers say about the cars is rather silly, IMO.

If you like the C63, it's wonderful car. You should get it without any worries. If you like the M3, it's also a wonderful car that you should get without worry. They go about their job in very different ways which makes them fantastic competitors.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #16
bigscore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW G30 540i M Sport

Quote:
The E9x beat the RS5 the new M3/4 will demolish it. We have to wait for the next gen RS they're suppose to be switching up to for Ed induction motors.
Appreciate 0