BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #23
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Ya the new 328i should suffice for you....if you're not going to drive it hard why do you want an M3 or even a 335 for that matter....image? Just get yourself something comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #24
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
everyone on here is comparing the 335 to the m3. This is not the right argument to make. Listen to what the OP is saying...I am never going to rev more than 3k, I want fuel economy, traffic is terrible and I am concerned about fuel prices. Shame on you M3 owners for saying yeah you should really get an M3 to do those things. That is silly.

That sir is an argument to get yourself a 328i or even better, whatever has the nicest darn seats you can sit in cause apparently that is pretty much the most exciting thing you will be doing in your vehicle. You literally argued the fact that there is no point to having a performance vehicle cause you won't use it the way it is intended. If that is the case then don't spend 20k on something you wont use!

(give it to me instead)
Keep sensible arguments out of this please!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
dustman
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Ferrari 458 Italia

I owned 4, maybe 5 E36 M3's. by far best 3 made.
Owned a 335 sedan
Now own '11 M3 sedan comp pkg

I think the 335 is the best bang for the buck. I dont like the steering of the new one though and wont buy one.

The M3 is fine, closest to the E36, but far, far too heavy, certainly not as nimble and tossable. But, refined, more civilized, quicker and faster, etc. Sounds better too. I get 20mpg out of every tank, and I drive hard.

I think about getting another '09/10 335 a lot and getting real tires and Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
What are some top things you value in the M3 that were not there in the 335i? What is your driving environment and how do you drive your cars? That would help me use your input. A test drive is one thing, but comments from someone who has lived with both is more valued.

Thank you.

Phil
More than half of these people are so frikin in love with their M3s they are blinded by it..... and some of them even make a "status" thing out of it....

I have owned both for an extended period of time and here is my input:

-If you are never going to the track, race, rally (or whatever people do) go get a nicely equipped 335.

335 has:
-plenty of power and torque
-Great 6M and if you get 335is -> you get DCT
-much much much better gas mileage than M3
-possible less maintenance costs in long term (even though M3 is very reliable as well)
-Cheaper insurance
-Very moddable if you want to go fast

Yes M3 looks better
Yes M3 has "better" interior....i.e: different seats
Yes M3 handles better (if you care about it in city driving)
Yes M3 has a gas guzzling, 8K red lining V8

Overall they are both amazing cars with 335 being more practical for daily driving in comparison to M3 just alone on MPG factor.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

335d might be a good alternative. Tons of torque and good fuel economy. Not sure if it's available in MT. I had one for a loaner (AT) and was very impressed with the DD aspects of the car.

The 335is fuel economy is better than the M3 but not by a wide margin.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
335d might be a good alternative. Tons of torque and good fuel economy. Not sure if it's available in MT. I had one for a loaner (AT) and was very impressed with the DD aspects of the car.

The 335is fuel economy is better than the M3 but not by a wide margin.
But the 335iS exhaust blows the M3's away. The mandatory aluminum trim killed it for me or I would of picked one up.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Get a C63.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
But the 335iS exhaust blows the M3's away. The mandatory aluminum trim killed it for me or I would of picked one up.
I agree. I love the 335's. I don't think i'll ever buy another M3 - too much car for my purposes - though I'm not planning on giving it up anytime soon . My next car will most likely be a 335 variant.

The OP is in a tough situation because he wants the thrills but has practical needs to address. As long as he gets himself a 335 or better I think he'll be very satisfied in the thrills dept.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
What are some top things you value in the M3 that were not there in the 335i? What is your driving environment and how do you drive your cars? That would help me use your input. A test drive is one thing, but comments from someone who has lived with both is more valued.

Thank you.

Phil
As a little background to my ownership situation, did Euro delivery both on the 335 and on the M3, drove both on various track (including the Nordschleife) and had both cars lightly modified: a chip on the 335i and muffler on the M3. As far as street driving, they were both my daily drivers (the M3 until recently).

Let's start with the 335... I loved the sound, power delivery and tuning capability of the 335i. It can be made quite quick for very little money, has excellent tractability in town due to the torque and good throttle response (very little lag) and definitely gets better gas mileage than the M. It's a good car, responsive, adjustable, not much understeer, a class act. On the debt side, the runflats are complete rubbish, the suspension inadequate (especially tuned), the open diff spoils the fun and the reliability suspect (mine had wastegate problems since day 1).

The M3 is simply put in a different class in all these metrics, except fuel economy. It rides better than the 335 with the EDC suspension, sound even better and the throttle response is absolutely incredible. It's the Ferrari of the sport sedans, no doubt about it. Compared to previous M3's, it handles better than the E46 (better damping and less understeer) and than the E36 (better damping and possibly less understeer) but of course feels a bit heavier than both - because it is. It has a very throttle-adjustable attitude, especially in faster corners (you have to be quick to respond in the slower corners), it works with you well beyond the limit and this makes it a very confidence inspiring car to drive in all conditions. This very poise and confidence is what makes it such an incredible drive in the rain, even on track.

If you are looking to marry the 335's daily driving capabilities with the M3's suspension/handling, then the 1M is a good compromise - with the added bonus of a significantly lower weight than the M3. It has most of the M3's suspension bits, comes already tuned from the factory, and is super-rare. A future collector's item IMO. The 335is might also be close, but it still rides on ruflats and has an open diff (and is expensive).

Hope this helps...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #32
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
I owned 4, maybe 5 E36 M3's. by far best 3 made.
Owned a 335 sedan
Now own '11 M3 sedan comp pkg

I think the 335 is the best bang for the buck. I dont like the steering of the new one though and wont buy one.

The M3 is fine, closest to the E36, but far, far too heavy, certainly not as nimble and tossable. But, refined, more civilized, quicker and faster, etc. Sounds better too. I get 20mpg out of every tank, and I drive hard.

I think about getting another '09/10 335 a lot and getting real tires and Cobb.
Our definition of driving it hard is very different if you are getting 20mpg out of every tank.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #33
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Our definition of driving it hard is very different if you are getting 20mpg out of every tank.

That's what I'm thinking, granted I only got 16 out of my e46M.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #34
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Base on what the OP said I think a 335is or 135i would fit the bill. There will apparently be a 135is coming out too. These turbo charged BMW will give you better gas mileage (matters because he lives in CA) and since he doesn't drive very hard the low end torque would make daily driving more enjoyable. It is true that non of these cars can match the M3 in sheer performance but it is plenty of performance, much better than the pedestrian cars others have mentioned. My opinion is based on ownership of all these cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #35
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
As a little background to my ownership situation, did Euro delivery both on the 335 and on the M3, drove both on various track (including the Nordschleife) and had both cars lightly modified: a chip on the 335i and muffler on the M3. As far as street driving, they were both my daily drivers (the M3 until recently).

Let's start with the 335... I loved the sound, power delivery and tuning capability of the 335i. It can be made quite quick for very little money, has excellent tractability in town due to the torque and good throttle response (very little lag) and definitely gets better gas mileage than the M. It's a good car, responsive, adjustable, not much understeer, a class act. On the debt side, the runflats are complete rubbish, the suspension inadequate (especially tuned), the open diff spoils the fun and the reliability suspect (mine had wastegate problems since day 1).

The M3 is simply put in a different class in all these metrics, except fuel economy. It rides better than the 335 with the EDC suspension, sound even better and the throttle response is absolutely incredible. It's the Ferrari of the sport sedans, no doubt about it. Compared to previous M3's, it handles better than the E46 (better damping and less understeer) and than the E36 (better damping and possibly less understeer) but of course feels a bit heavier than both - because it is. It has a very throttle-adjustable attitude, especially in faster corners (you have to be quick to respond in the slower corners), it works with you well beyond the limit and this makes it a very confidence inspiring car to drive in all conditions. This very poise and confidence is what makes it such an incredible drive in the rain, even on track.

If you are looking to marry the 335's daily driving capabilities with the M3's suspension/handling, then the 1M is a good compromise - with the added bonus of a significantly lower weight than the M3. It has most of the M3's suspension bits, comes already tuned from the factory, and is super-rare. A future collector's item IMO. The 335is might also be close, but it still rides on ruflats and has an open diff (and is expensive).

Hope this helps...
Excellent post!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #36
dustman
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Ferrari 458 Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
You'd be surprised. In SoCal, you cant always go all out, and that yields 22, and balls out is 18. Damn good for the fun you can have, and not far off the 335 under power.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #37
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You'd be surprised. In SoCal, you cant always go all out, and that yields 22, and balls out is 18. Damn good for the fun you can have, and not far off the 335 under power.

Coming up on 5 yrs of ownership and I have yet to see 22 mpg on a tank.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #38
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
I agree you can get 22+ highway, but "balls out" is more like 6mpg... not 18...

FWIW I've averaged about 18 total. Best was 24mpg over a low speed highway (55-60mph in 7th gear), worst is ~6mpg on track.

But having owned a 335i, the driving experience is not even similar. The M3 just feels like a much more expensive and more solid car. The only thing the 335i is better on is low end torque and mpg's.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
warranty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

OP, I just recently purchased an E90 M3 myself and went through some of the same thought processes as you: 335i or M3? Like you, I need a 4-door (kiddie taxi), and I live & work in Bay Area so I know that most of the time I'd be driving way under the speed limit--probably in traffic--so fuel economy is a factor, and there's some of that "is it really worth the extra $$ just to have a few seconds of more fun a day?" question.

Honestly, for me the dilemma came down to be about money, and I imagine it's probably the same for you (but I can't speak for you): am I willing to spend a little more to purchase and run an M3, or put that money towards something else? At the end, I said "f*ck it, I've done a lot to save and provide for my family, now I want to get something DADDY WANTS."

Somebody else put it very succinctly this way: 335 enthusiasts will wish they could upgrade to an M3, but no M3 driver would ever wish they had gone with a 335 instead. It's simple as that. 335 is a nice car in its own right, but M3 is much more special. It's a dream car for those of us who need 4 doors.

So, I can't tell you what to do, but I'll tell you this: now that I got the M3, I've never again even spent a nanosecond thinking about "what if I saved the money and got a 335i instead?". On the contrary, I have a ear-to-ear shit-eating grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel of my M3...even in traffic. Why, all the more reason to row through the gears of my 6MT! Heck, even going to the store to get diapers is fun because staring at that power dome reminds you that you're going to get Huggies in machine engineered by gearheads who accepted very little compromises.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #40
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by warranty View Post
OP, I just recently purchased an E90 M3 myself and went through some of the same thought processes as you: 335i or M3? Like you, I need a 4-door (kiddie taxi), and I live & work in Bay Area so I know that most of the time I'd be driving way under the speed limit--probably in traffic--so fuel economy is a factor, and there's some of that "is it really worth the extra $$ just to have a few seconds of more fun a day?" question.

Honestly, for me the dilemma came down to be about money, and I imagine it's probably the same for you (but I can't speak for you): am I willing to spend a little more to purchase and run an M3, or put that money towards something else? At the end, I said "f*ck it, I've done a lot to save and provide for my family, now I want to get something DADDY WANTS."

Somebody else put it very succinctly this way: 335 enthusiasts will wish they could upgrade to an M3, but no M3 driver would ever wish they had gone with a 335 instead. It's simple as that. 335 is a nice car in its own right, but M3 is much more special. It's a dream car for those of us who need 4 doors.

So, I can't tell you what to do, but I'll tell you this: now that I got the M3, I've never again even spent a nanosecond thinking about "what if I saved the money and got a 335i instead?". On the contrary, I have a ear-to-ear shit-eating grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel of my M3...even in traffic. Why, all the more reason to row through the gears of my 6MT! Heck, even going to the store to get diapers is fun because staring at that power dome reminds you that you're going to get Huggies in machine engineered by gearheads who accepted very little compromises.
Came from 335i and have never looked back. Love my new M3, but my needs sound different than yours. I have always had E92's...no kids no wife...come to think of it maybe thats why I can afford a M3....nevermind...do what you wanna do!!!......edit....wasn't speaking to you directly warranty...but quoted you for the M to 335 info you gave..

Last edited by CrusherM3; 06-08-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #41
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

i also was making this decision,and i'm so glad i got the m3.it may not be the "practical" decision,but if you love cars,get one that excites you.

here's a good answer i got when i posed a similar question :
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...39&postcount=4
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #42
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
335iS + JB4 and your good to go.

I had it, I loved it.

I just made the move to the m3 because of the great deal I got.

You won't go wrong with any car.

C63
335i
335is
M3
1m
535 m sport
Even the new P boxster S is fantastic

Best advice for you is just go to the dealerships and try them for yourself. This is the best part

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #43
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Screw it, just get both and your problems are solved. That's how i did it....
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #44
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX
i have one question, are you buying the 335 new?

If the answer is no, stay away from the n54/n55.
This does not make sense. Stay away from n54/n55? Erm what other engine did the 335i have?
Appreciate 0