BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Sister buying P-car within the week, could use advice!

Hey guys, we've always been fans of p-cars and love the cayman body and all that goes behind it. My sister got interested in the cayman while I was car hunting and is ready to pull the trigger and get a non-s cayman.

She found this at our local dealer,

http://www.boardwalkporsche.com/cert...255bbeca90.htm

and unfortunately I'm out of town and will not be able to inspect the car myself, but when she went to check it out they said the previous owner had put something in the excess of 9K into it which I feel is bull. I know that they told her the nav is OEM, but was installed after the car had been built, and supposedly there is a concealed radar unit (possibly V1) and a clear bra on the car.

I'm not too familiar with the cayman and have no idea if it is loaded or what, but they said the sticker was 62K.

Does this seem to be a fair deal? How much would you pay for it.
Honestly I feel like the cayman's prices have held up for the past two years as far as I can tell, they seemed cheaper last year.

Appreciate the input

On a side note, what car would you guys buy for 50K?

Last edited by eamon; 09-15-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

That cayman's price for a 2.9 car s very high. I have both a 335i and a cayman and they are completely different cars. If you're looking for a comfortable car with amenities, and power, go with the 335i. The power is no comparison. However, while the cayman is down on power, it makes up for it in driving finesse and the fun factor. It is easily one of the most fun cars i've ever driven, but it is definitely not as comfortable as a 335i. Look into some CPO cars if that is an option. I got my 2008 cayman (2.7) for 25K miles CPO for 32K. That specific car shown has PDK and Bose so that may be the added cost, but that's an even higher price that most used Cayman S's I see floating around. Check out Planet-9.com. You might find a better deal.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
That cayman's price for a 2.9 car s very high. I have both a 335i and a cayman and they are completely different cars. If you're looking for a comfortable car with amenities, and power, go with the 335i. The power is no comparison. However, while the cayman is down on power, it makes up for it in driving finesse and the fun factor. It is easily one of the most fun cars i've ever driven, but it is definitely not as comfortable as a 335i. Look into some CPO cars if that is an option. I got my 2008 cayman (2.7) for 25K miles CPO for 32K. That specific car shown has PDK and Bose so that may be the added cost, but that's an even higher price that most used Cayman S's I see floating around. Check out Planet-9.com. You might find a better deal.
This.

I was choosing between a Z4MC and a Cayman a couple years back and decided against the Cayman. Primary reason was being at the mercy of porsche for maintenance. Most BMWs or at least the Z4MC I can DIY most things... Cayman.. ugh probably not so much for the weekend warrior type DIYer. We have/built a couple older porsche project cars.. including a mid-engine 914 with a 911 engine... As a 'daily driver' type car the Cayman seems like a bad proposition - though people do it.

Someone folks just like getting pcars for the sake of saying they have a pcar. That's cool but don't fool yourself into thinking it's going to be like a 335i in terms of comfort, practicality, and maintenance.

GL
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Here are pics from prior to the NAV install.
http://cadillacsanantonio.kenbatchel..._photos/897676
(Did a search on the VIN.)
No idea if the price is reasonable, sorry.

Edit - here's the list of its factory options. I don't like that Boardwalk neglects this info.
http://lexusdallas.sewell.com/web/pr...icle_v2/897676
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
eamon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
I have a 335i, and I'm not trying to compare the two. That was a misunderstanding, I'm not even discussing BMWs in this question, my mistake. She is already pretty set on a porsche or audi and was looking for feedback on pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
This.

I was choosing between a Z4MC and a Cayman a couple years back and decided against the Cayman. Primary reason was being at the mercy of porsche for maintenance. Most BMWs or at least the Z4MC I can DIY most things... Cayman.. ugh probably not so much for the weekend warrior type DIYer. We have/built a couple older porsche project cars.. including a mid-engine 914 with a 911 engine... As a 'daily driver' type car the Cayman seems like a bad proposition - though people do it.

Someone folks just like getting pcars for the sake of saying they have a pcar. That's cool but don't fool yourself into thinking it's going to be like a 335i in terms of comfort, practicality, and maintenance.

GL
Read comment above

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Here are pics from prior to the NAV install.
http://cadillacsanantonio.kenbatchel..._photos/897676
(Did a search on the VIN.)
No idea if the price is reasonable, sorry.

Edit - here's the list of its factory options. I don't like that Boardwalk neglects this info.
http://lexusdallas.sewell.com/web/pr...icle_v2/897676
Thanks for that!
Isn't it a little weird that the car was listed in San Antonio and Dallas at the same time?
      09-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
This.

GL
+1. Porsche's maintenance so far hasn't been bad. The cayman, so far, has been much more reliable that the e92 was. Parts for the cayman are leaps and bounds more expensive though. I remember the first time I bought new brake pads and I got sticker shock haha. As for working on the cayman, you're also right. I've done all my own work on the car in terms of mods and it is definitely a much harder car to work on than the bmw. If you are looking for a car to modify, the aren't anywhere as many options out there either. I do DD my cayman. It is loud, very stiff (my father hates it), and long drives can be a pain compared to my old e92. However, the amenities and comforts you gave up from a bmw are made up by the enjoyment you have driving the car. If you're looking for a driver's car, the cayman is a better choice.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

^ sounds like the Z4MC in terms of DDing with the stiffness and long trips. I do it all the time, but my father dislikes my Z4MC for that sort of thing (too stiff for him and tight of a cockpit).

Also sounds like the Z4MC in terms limited modding since it was a more limitedly produced BMW.

The main difference make comparing Z4MC to Cayman S (performance aside) is probably the maintenance and DIY abilities. I'd rather work on the Z4M with all the space in the world under the hood vice dropping the engine out of a Cayman. That said a Cayman is still a great car - that was just always a personal 'worry' of mine.

OP in terms of pricing look what is out there and figure out if that's what the market says the cars are going for. The car is worth what someone will pay for it. If that's a desirable color combo... someone might be willing to pay more for it. Comparing a Cayman to a TT I presume? Not sure what else would be analogs of each from Porsche to Audi.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Thanks for that!
Isn't it a little weird that the car was listed in San Antonio and Dallas at the same time?
You're welcome.
Looks like "Batchelor Cadillac of San Antonio" is a Sewell dealership (the "San Antonio" pics are clearly on the Sewell lot here in Dallas) so I guess they share a common database of used cars for sale.

Looks like a nice car, with a good selection of options.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
eamon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
^ sounds like the Z4MC in terms of DDing with the stiffness and long trips. I do it all the time, but my father dislikes my Z4MC for that sort of thing (too stiff for him and tight of a cockpit).

Also sounds like the Z4MC in terms limited modding since it was a more limitedly produced BMW.

The main difference make comparing Z4MC to Cayman S (performance aside) is probably the maintenance and DIY abilities. I'd rather work on the Z4M with all the space in the world under the hood vice dropping the engine out of a Cayman. That said a Cayman is still a great car - that was just always a personal 'worry' of mine.

OP in terms of pricing look what is out there and figure out if that's what the market says the cars are going for. The car is worth what someone will pay for it. If that's a desirable color combo... someone might be willing to pay more for it. Comparing a Cayman to a TT I presume? Not sure what else would be analogs of each from Porsche to Audi.
I see what you're saying.
Actually she's also considering the A/S4 and A/S5, but I think it's kind of pointless when she can get an M3 for that same kind of money that the Audi's are going for. They have held their value quite well actually.
      09-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
62k is high for that cayman me thinks...
isn't that how much they retail for brand new when they have such few options?
In fact, it looks like this is a completely base Cayman S after reading the "options" tab

High mileage for a Porsche me thinks. my 2009 4S that I DD every day has slightly more mileage than that.

as for a cayman S in general, they are amazing cars, if it wasn't for their "image", I would prefer it to my 911