BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #23
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

I agree with 90% of the origional post.

Handling:
I think you are giving the outgoing car too much credit in the handling department where it was a dissapointment compared to the E36. That said I am not anticipating any handling issues with the E92. You will want to pull the front camber pins ASAP when you get the car.

Brakes:
I expect the brakes to be inferrior compared to its competiton. Note: I am not talking about size, piston count, or any other bling specs. I am simply talking about the ability to swap pads and have it hold up for a while on the track.

Looks:
I expect to really like the apearance.

If I find it to be a dissapointment I may trade it in on a Vantage V8 and call it a day.
      01-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #24
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Now this sounds like a good/juicy rumor. Which forum/thread did you read this in? If it is in German can you provide some real translation (google translation, or others are way to crappy)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Heck I would even make a post here on this topic if I uncovered it.
I found it on germancarzone:
http://www.germancarzone.com/showthr...t=7218&page=27
A thread that's worth reading. On page 27 Scott gives some hints regarding the M3 shooting.

Sounds promising; I can't wait to see some "final" pictures

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 01:57 AM   #25
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Since the M5, which is also likely under-rated, probably puts out about 530 bhp just lopping off 2 cylinders with NO OTHER improvements to hp/l (unlikely since that engine is about 3+ yrs old, counting development) yields 424 bhp. A 15% drive train loss yields 360 rwhp. Also in the thread above I argue why the car will almost for sure be as fast or faster than the M5, 0-60, maybe 0-80 (unlikely after that). The M5, despite its weight is FAST, low 4s 0-60!
To support the M5's 530 HP, it (a 4100 lb car, weight to power of >8) ran the 1/4 mile at 12.5 secs at 118 MPH (with SMG) according to Car and Driver!!!! Compare this to a C6 Corvette (non-Z06) that weights 3250 lbs, has 400 HP (same weight to power as M5 and more torque) and runs high 12s at 112-114.

530 HP AT LEAST!

If they can keep the M3 between 3500 and 3600 lbs I will consider this a success and decently light (for this day and age of performance tanks).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 03:44 AM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Scott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I found it on germancarzone:
http://www.germancarzone.com/showthr...t=7218&page=27
A thread that's worth reading. On page 27 Scott gives some hints regarding the M3 shooting.

Sounds promising; I can't wait to see some "final" pictures

Best regards, south
Read most of "Thread II" on E90 M3 over there tonight. Some serious bickering at the beginning. You seem pretty active over there. Who is this Scott fellow? Does he have credibility? Does he work for BMW or a supplier or marketing firm or something. Some of his comments sound smart and right on but his comments about the US release date seems totally bogus to me. Of course I don't want to believe them either, but isn't it just impossible for a 2008 model year not to come out in the US in 2007 (let alone summer 2008 as Scott stated). One big slip up totally questions ones credibility in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #27
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Read most of "Thread II" on E90 M3 over there tonight. Some serious bickering at thh beginning. You seem pretty active over there. Who is this Scott fellow? Does he have credibility? Does he work for BMW or a supplier or marketing firm or something. Some of his comments sound smart and right on but his comments about the US release date seems totally bogus to me. Of course I don't want to believe them either, but isn't it just impossible for a 2008 model year not to come out in the US in 2007 (let alone summer 2008 as Scott stated). One big slip up totally questions ones credibility in my eyes.
Scott is said to work for BMW. But i can't say what exact he's doing, maybe it's the marketing division or some kind of management. His credibility over at germancarzone is about 200 %!! Anyway Scott is not always spot-on. But I personally think that the misinformation could be intentionally.

As far as the US introduction goes I remember the M5 had a massive delay: It was launched in the US a half year later than in Europe!

BTW Scott did also claim that most of the information Jussi gave on this forum was nonsense...

So I would expect the M3 Concept in Geneva!!!

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #28
mloyelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche Carrera

Quote:
Scott is said to work for BMW. But i can't say what exact he's doing, maybe it's the marketing division or some kind of management. His credibility over at germancarzone is about 200 %!! Anyway Scott is not always spot-on. But I personally think that the misinformation could be intentionally.

As far as the US introduction goes I remember the M5 had a massive delay: It was launched in the US a half year later than in Europe!

BTW Scott did also claim that most of the information Jussi gave on this forum was nonsense...

Best regards, south
Word up. Anyone know the date of Geneva?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #29
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloyelo View Post
Word up. Anyone know the date of Geneva?
Geneva Auto Salon

Officially starts March 8th. Press Days could be March 6th/7th

Regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #30
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Quote:
Scott is said to work for BMW. But i can't say what exact he's doing, maybe it's the marketing division or some kind of management.

Best regards, south
SCOTT26 is a member here, I think that's him right? Hey Scott if that's you, share some good info with us
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
One big slip up totally questions ones credibility in my eyes.
Just thought I would shore up and protect my credibility
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

Best regards, south
So, what happened to Jussi? Banned?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #33
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
So, what happened to Jussi? Banned?
He seemed offended that people were questioning his claims. He threatened to leave and aparently did.
      01-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Odd

Quote:
Scott is said to work for BMW.
I can't believe that BMW would let/tolerate an employee talk about an unreleased model in a public internet forum. Then again it may be tough to impossible for them to track him down or confirm he is a BMW person. Damn I sure hope his comments about the availability date (summer 08) in the US is waaaay wrong.

I guess this is directed at you Scott. Thanks for chiming in!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #35
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

"I can't believe that BMW would let/tolerate an employee talk about an unreleased model in a public internet forum."

Debate equals maximum publicity...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #36
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Dates, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Debate equals maximum publicity...
Indeed. However if I don't get my baby until summer of 2008 you are in big trouble

Can you share some of your "official" (or unofficial) thoughts on such things as license plate location, the recent photo shoots, presence at Geneva and the US release date? Our board is starving for information and more than eager to offer our skepticism!
Appreciate 0