BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
I could be wrong but I thought M24 (motorsport 24) is the German manufacturer who makes an aftermarket oil cooler and radiator for our cars.

My question relates to a comparison in cooling behavior between the radiator vs. the oil cooler.

P
As far as I knew th M24 is an oil cooler only and as stated above doesn't lower oil temp but provides quicker return to mean temp if it does get sightly elevated. Cost was like 2500 or something.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #24
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I am that person who said that the M24 oil cooler led to quicker cool downs but no change in max temp. However, (I'll update my review when I get back from Road America) it turns out I was comparing apples and oranges. I was comparing oil temps at two different tracks. I usually run at VIR and after the M24 oil cooler install my next event was at Barber (much tighter course with much more up and down with speeds) and it turns out that my car just runs hotter at Barber (probably most heavy cars do).

Been back to VIR twice now and oil temps are lower. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the oil temp gauge, but I used to run at the mark between 210 and 300F. Now I can't get the oil temp up to that mark, and I've got another 10 or so track events experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Good to know. Haven't had too much issue with temp but my hottest track days have been low 80s or less.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #26
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Totally fine..

Last week on the track in 102 degree weather, the oil temp in my M3 was hitting 290F. I've never seen it get that hot in my life. I think for serious tracking in heat that a more beefy oil cooler would be preferable.

The other two M3's I was racing with also were hitting up around there, although mine was ever so slightly higher due to my pulley. The tune isn't really going to cause a drastic raise in oil temp. I had a engine temperature warning once during the track session, and I backed off a little bit and it cleared.

Just had the oil analyized by Blackstone Labs, everything looked good but slightly high lead content. I've seen this on a lot of S65 oil reports, so I will check in 5,000 miles and see if the levels dropped.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0