BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

That black box thing is very interesting to me as a tech geek. It could certainly have tapped into your BT connection somehow and retrieved your cell number, however there is no such thing as a truly anonymous call (I work in telecom). Every call, even *67 calls send what is called ANI information (caller ID number) so that the LEC switches can route and bill the call properly within their networks, privacy is then set to full so that the phone on the other end says "anonymous" or "unknown" but it's just aesthetic. If you really want to sleuth this one, call your carrier and have them look into the call record for that call. Tell them it was a threatening call and they may give you the true ANI of the caller that you can then provide to police to track the guy down (provided his cell phone was his anyway).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #46
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
That black box thing is very interesting to me as a tech geek. It could certainly have tapped into your BT connection somehow and retrieved your cell number, however there is no such thing as a truly anonymous call (I work in telecom). Every call, even *67 calls send what is called ANI information (caller ID number) so that the LEC switches can route and bill the call properly within their networks, privacy is then set to full so that the phone on the other end says "anonymous" or "unknown" but it's just aesthetic. If you really want to sleuth this one, call your carrier and have them look into the call record for that call. Tell them it was a threatening call and they may give you the true ANI of the caller that you can then provide to police to track the guy down (provided his cell phone was his anyway).
There are definitely ways around this. Yes, there are truly anonymous calls within the DOD.

We use these devices in war, war on terror within our homeland and on the battlefield so what you know is domestic and private citizen phones and their network. Some military, private sector, and federal LEA's work on a separate network, thus us believing its a military guy using such device.

Northrop Grumman is one company that has this technology.

Currently the DOD spends about $2000- $3000 per cellphone to have it totally secure and anonymous and to pass classified information (on secure network). This is known. This recently went through an overhaul.

Local LE will have no idea what this guy had and proof is right here with the OP saying such. If they have not been briefed on such a device they will say "there is no such device" and that is ok.

Last edited by Endless619; 07-21-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #47
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
And he told me to call 911 next time. Bah.
Don't underestimate 911. It's protection for you when you think you need it - and your paying for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #48
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Do you guys even trust the POL** in the states lol? They are basically watching you at anytime... Secondly if the guy is in the military, I don't think the police even have the authority to investigate this kinda stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

US develops and uses technology to fight terrorism...idiot uses same technology to terrorize his fellow US citizens within the united states...

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #50
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I plan on adding a 911 Turbo in Speed Yellow. I'm sure I'll get cussed at all the time on the road
Something tells me a yellow Porsche would not get the same hassle as an M3. People instantly recognize a Porsche and it is such a symbol that they know not to act up even those clunker box racers. But many clueless driver may think seeing an M3 that it is an moded 3 with an eccentric driver and they can not resist hating on it. Is there something provocative about the car's look that triggers it ?

What do you guys think ? would other cars (some of them lesser cars) get as much hassle such as a corvette, GT-R, even mustang ?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
What do you guys think ? would other cars (some of them lesser cars) get as much hassle such as a corvette, GT-R, even mustang ?
Yes. If you were cruising around in a Veyron, SOMEbody out there would have to test you... It's the same guys that say, in a bar, "I'm going to go find the biggest SOB in this place, and punch him right in the face..."
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #52
martini
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

This is kinda scary
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...e-wheel-video/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #53
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Gross. Kind of makes me want to convert my E36 racecar back into a street car and DD it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #54
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

What's the name of that device and where can I get it?
Appreciate 0