BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
jimboair
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3

m3 wheel spacers

any one have any experience with 12mm rear and 15 mm front on a 2009 m3. Have a vibration at 80 mph only??? Looks great but thinking of taking them off!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Have been using spacers 15 fronts and 12 rears for almost 3 years and no vibrations on speeds up to >100 with no vibrations. Make sure you properly clean the hub before installing them. Check you wheels/wheel balance as they might be a factor as well.
      01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboair View Post
any one have any experience with 12mm rear and 15 mm front on a 2009 m3. Have a vibration at 80 mph only??? Looks great but thinking of taking them off!!!
Last week I inquired at my friendly BMW dealership about spacers. You see I am mounting my 8 x 18 replica BMW style 220M wheels with snow tires in the winter time. I do this so I can take the car out on the road here and then for a spin when roads are dry.

So I asked about spacers for the rear since the wheels mounted on this car look kinda funny (too far in).

I was told "We do not recommend that you mount spacers, if you do you also need studs otherwise the tread engagement will be out off specification". In general BMW likes to I am sure sell us offset wheels.

Since I hardly use my M3 in the winter time I decided against spacers, also to avoid vibrations that may result. After all when you think about it the spacers are a fitting member (machined spigot and bore to match the wheel and axel [brake drum side] mounting positions) any out off tolerance component will then lead to misalignment and consequently vibration.

Since vibration will increase by the square of the speed I better stay clear of it. I am certain a lot of people are using spacers, then they must be mounted professionally to avoid some of the issues mentioned.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
jimboair
Rep

Thanks!!!I think I did it right but......? Did you put spacer on a m3 2009 or newer? Otherwise a great car and that's coming from a past Porsche owner!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I had MS spacers in those sizes on for awhile. Zero issues, loved the look with the 220m's. I took them off due to a slight rub in the rear under decent compression, lowered on Dinan Stage 1.

Did you just install them? Which brand?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
jimboair
Rep

They were just put on. They are Macht Schnell from EAS.I'm a cry baby so maybe being picky and it is definately different especially the steering but it does look great. Don't know if I should take them off. I was hoping that it was going to be seamless. The car was as smooth as silk before. I'm new with you guys and love the inter-action.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Before I gave up on them, I'd pull them off, inspect them, make sure you have clean surfaces and give them another shot. You shouldn't have any problems if everything is up to snuff. Most vibration issues are due to rust or dirt on the hub face. Don't skip the anti seize on the lip, nothing should be on the face though.

I got my MS spacers from EAS also, they're quality spacer's. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have used spacers on 4 vehicles including my M3 (turner 12.5mm F/R). Buy a high quality spacer, make sure the hub surface is nice and clean, and torque properly about 5-8lb-ft higher than stock bolt specs. Have had ZERO issues ever.
      01-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
jimboair
Rep

Thanks so much guys> I have had 3 M3's and 7 Porsche"s and never been involved in a forum like this one.you guys are great and I will take off the wheels and start again.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

I'm running that exact setup with MS spacers (thanks EAS) and OEM 359's. Runs like a dream. Just went triple digits today never any vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Ctm309
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

Using MS spacers from EAS on two BMW's, M3 and 335i. No vibration issues
what so ever, just like OEM. Make sure to wire brush the hub and the rim and wipe clean plus smear a thin coat of anti-seize on the hub and the rim.

Very important, be sure to torque properly.
      01-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Half the people who put spacers on their car get a wheel wobble/shimmy. Screwing up the geometry of the suspension for the sake having your car 'look a little cooler' is pretty stupid in my opinion. Clearly my opinion doesn't matter, but if you want the shimmy to go away, just take the spacers off.

M3s look sick without 'widening the stance' or 'making it more aggressive'.

They have been engineered by people way more competent than us. If BMW thought it would make sense to put spacers on the wheels or make the stance wider, I'm sure they would have.

Please keep in mind I used to have spacers on my E36 because when I owned it, I wanted to 'make it look cooler'. Then I realized how stupid it was to do little mods like this. I am down with some cosmetic and some performance mods, but spacers can really become a huge pain in the ass when you get steering issues. It's just not worth compromising the original design.

I would take them off. Car looks fine and has insane handling out of the factory.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver
Half the people who put spacers on their car get a wheel wobble/shimmy. Screwing up the geometry of the suspension for the sake having your car 'look a little cooler' is pretty stupid in my opinion. Clearly my opinion doesn't matter, but if you want the shimmy to go away, just take the spacers off.

M3s look sick without 'widening the stance' or 'making it more aggressive'.

They have been engineered by people way more competent than us. If BMW thought it would make sense to put spacers on the wheels or make the stance wider, I'm sure they would have.

Please keep in mind I used to have spacers on my E36 because when I owned it, I wanted to 'make it look cooler'. Then I realized how stupid it was to do little mods like this. I am down with some cosmetic and some performance mods, but spacers can really become a huge pain in the ass when you get steering issues. It's just not worth compromising the original design.

I would take them off. Car looks fine and has insane handling out of the factory.
Interesting perspective. There are lots of people that would vigorously disagree.

I hope I don't get wobble because car looks amazing with spacers and feels like its on rails.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

do the 359 wheels that come with the ZCP use spacers from teh factory? i read that they use something, but wasn't sure if it's spacers or not.

I just placed an order for E92 with ZCP, and was wondering if the ZCP wheels are more prone to vibrations/shimmy?!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
do the 359 wheels that come with the ZCP use spacers from teh factory? i read that they use something, but wasn't sure if it's spacers or not.

I just placed an order for E92 with ZCP, and was wondering if the ZCP wheels are more prone to vibrations/shimmy?!
ZCP does not come with spacers.

I don't think ZCP wheels are more prone to vibrations. Mine certainly don't. Just bring to a reputable shop that knows what they are doing and prep and torque everything properly and there are no issues.

Seems like a big hubbub about nothing. If your install is shit you will have vibrations. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

BMW installed spacers on the GTS up front. Depending on the application, spacers can be functional (clearing BBK's) or purely a cosmetic tweak. Some wheels, i.e. the 220m's don't have a nice aggressive offset and look too tucked in for some of us. Spacer's can make a big difference in appearance by changing the stance...just like a using a wheel with a nice aggessive offset.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Let's be real here... There is nothing wrong OR unsafe (for you or your vehicle) when running properly spec'd spacers that are installed correctly. I have bought Dinan spacers through my Local BMW dealer which both Dinan and BMW recommended. That being said I have also had a wheel wobbling and I noticed it when my car was on a dyno. When I took my car into the dealer they realized one of the spacers was faulty (bent). As mentioned before, if there is not any debris between the spacer and hub then it is most likely a faulty spacer.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Macht Schnell 10mm Rear - 15mm Front no issues whatsoever.

Make sure the spacers you r using are hub centric...also properly prep the wheel hub b4 re-installing..also use some anti-sieze around the spacer hub center.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post

Hmmm, I am curious too if my car has spacers on it... I just picked up an '08 yesterday that has the 2011 359 ZCP wheels on it, and funny thing, I had a high frequency vibration from about 78-82 MPH... I am wondering if the PO had used spacers or not...The car is also lowered 10mm with Eibach springs...kind of a psuedo '08 ZCP car...

-C
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
Hmmm, I am curious too if my car has spacers on it... I just picked up an '08 yesterday that has the 2011 359 ZCP wheels on it, and funny thing, I had a high frequency vibration from about 78-82 MPH... I am wondering if the PO had used spacers or not...The car is also lowered 10mm with Eibach springs...kind of a psuedo '08 ZCP car...

-C
I had my car for two days before I realized I had spacers..I kept thinking it looks so wide ..apparently the guy who had it before me put em on..

Just take a look in between the wheel and hub you will see it clearly if you have one
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I had my car for two days before I realized I had spacers..I kept thinking it looks so wide ..apparently the guy who had it before me put em on..

Just take a look in between the wheel and hub you will see it clearly if you
have one
OK just checked - no spacers! Must be bad wheel balance... there's a ton of wheel weights on them though... lazy bastards shoulda just shifted the tire and started over on a couple of them. Thanks for the head's up!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
jimboair
Rep

Taking the wheels off today, cleaning the surfaces, and balancing all the wheels. If there is still a vibration will take the spacers off. Thanks for the comments.
Appreciate 0