BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #67
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It's SO NOT required if you have an e90 M3. I have a sunroof delete and save 37lbs and tons of rattles down the road... and the car is SO MUCH quieter inside without a sunroof. And not only do you save weight, but your chassis is much, much stiffer... and a sunroof is DEATH to any sports car.
I skipped the moonroof as well. I hardly ever used it on previous cars so I figured I would save the weight. I also skipped the folding rear seats of the CWP and just got the heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #68
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I love my moonroof... it's open (up) all the time.

It doesn't leak, It doesn't rattle, and it sure as hell doesn't affect the handling or acceleration of the car.

The CF roof is nothing more than marketing BS, and there is a population of folks out there that just LOVE to buy into it.

Almost 3.... I have to go pick up the kids from school. Do you really think my moonroof is going to compromise my drive? Give me a break.

FYI 12 BMW's and not one moonroof leaked or rattled.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #69
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Moonroof is the perfect compliment to the best interior color: BLACK. It gives it an airy feel, and no need to open it for that; just slide the cover. And the perfect compromise between convertible and CF coupe. And as far as cost, it's a wash: the sunroof option is at least a grand on any car, which is about the same for the CF roof when installed at the factory.

It's a matter of preference, and both look good, but to me moonroof is a big plus, so it was an easy decision. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #70
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Personal choice.

IMO, coupe = must have CF

I can understand having a moonroof for air and natural light but....I would never be staring straight up while driving
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #71
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Moonroof is the perfect compliment to the best interior color: BLACK. It gives it an airy feel, and no need to open it for that; just slide the cover. And the perfect compromise between convertible and CF coupe. And as far as cost, it's a wash: the sunroof option is at least a grand on any car, which is about the same for the CF roof when installed at the factory.

It's a matter of preference, and both look good, but to me moonroof is a big plus, so it was an easy decision. Good day.
      11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #72
DTM-R13
Banned
Rep
Drives: A4 S-Line quattro Titanium

The moon roof will not make a difference to anything, only in your head. You might shave .000000000012 seconds off your trip to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #73
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I love my moonroof... it's open (up) all the time.

It doesn't leak, It doesn't rattle, and it sure as hell doesn't affect the handling or acceleration of the car.

The CF roof is nothing more than marketing BS, and there is a population of folks out there that just LOVE to buy into it.

Almost 3.... I have to go pick up the kids from school. Do you really think my moonroof is going to compromise my drive? Give me a break.

FYI 12 BMW's and not one moonroof leaked or rattled.
I've heard moonroofs on BMW's rattle and leak. They tend to do so at about the 5+ year mark. They also fail mechanically. One failed on my E46 after about 3 years (but it was under warranty). I was listening to a service advisor at a dealer bill someone who had one break out of warranty and it was actually a couple thousand dollars to get it fixed.

That said, a moonroof adds 40 lbs. in the worst possible spot and thus undoubtedly compromises performance in some way. If you are not in situations where you can use it or if you are not sensitive/capable enough to take advantage of it, that's a different thing. It's still a compromise--one that many are willing to make like yourself since it is so small. But since I'm pretty tall, it is not even a question as to whether I want to blow $1k on something that will make performance worse and compromise my seating position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM-R13 View Post
The moon roof will not make a difference to anything, only in your head. You might shave .000000000012 seconds off your trip to work.
An M3 will not shave any time off a commute to work compared to a 328i or 335i either...

It might even add time when considering the extra stops you have to make for gas, and tickets, lol.

No one is going to win this argument, though, since it is a matter of opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #74
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Moonroof has noise at speed & IMO looks like hell, especially on a light colored car. Breaks the lines of the roof & not in a good way. Not bad on a black car cause it's not as noticable. Had one on my black 335, it was okay, but like I said, there was noise at speed. - one of the best options on my AW M3 was to not get a sunroof. No doubt.

But it's a personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #75
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post

An M3 will not shave any time off a commute to work compared to a 328i or 335i either...

Then your not doing it right!

I have a sedan and the sunroof - if I bought an e92 I still would have gone with the sunroof. I personally cant imagine not having one (unless driving a vert)

Again matter of personal opinion and I guess if you want the look (i personally dont look at the roof of many cars though)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #76
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
moonroof is the suck! weight reduction FTW!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #77
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Then your not doing it right!

I have a sedan and the sunroof - if I bought an e92 I still would have gone with the sunroof. I personally cant imagine not having one (unless driving a vert)

Again matter of personal opinion and I guess if you want the look (i personally dont look at the roof of many cars though)
Aside from the moonroof vs. non-moonroof argument, in all seriousness, I find that an M3 lengthens my point-to-point commutes.

Why? I take more care not to drive on shitty roads, I hang back from big trucks that could kick up rocks (even though I have a clear bra), I don't have the carpool lane (my Civic Hybrid has HOV stickers), and I park further away and more carefully to reduce the chance of door dings and vandalism. This means that I avoid parallel parking or smaller spots. Also, I tend to be easier on the M3 when it's warming up than I am on my Civic Hybrid beater.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #78
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Headroom gained without moonroof?

Does anyone know how much additional headroom can be gained in the M3 sedan without a moonroof?? I'm 6'4" and when I sit in an E90 with my helmet on, the top of it rubs up against the headliner......not good for proper driving position on the track. Would LOVE it if I could get an extra 1-1.5 inches of headroom!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #79
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball99 View Post
Does anyone know how much additional headroom can be gained in the M3 sedan without a moonroof?? I'm 6'4" and when I sit in an E90 with my helmet on, the top of it rubs up against the headliner......not good for proper driving position on the track. Would LOVE it if I could get an extra 1-1.5 inches of headroom!
No moonroof will get you exactly what you're looking for. 1.5"...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #80
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

I've owned 3 M3's, an E36, E46 and now an E92.

The first two had no sunroof, this is my first M with a sunroof.

Both times I ordered the M3 without the sunroof the dealer told me my resale would be crap, never sell it etc. Turns out he was full of it. Never was a problem, sold both for fair market prices and quickly.

I'm a purist like many here- never cared for the hole in my roof. Hurts performance, adds weight, can fail and rattle etc., etc.

Now, you know what- screw that- I like the sunroof. And it does look nice popped up for fresh air and when it's cold and sunny it's nice to have the extra light in the car.

So, I see both sides, but now I'm loving the side I'm on!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 12:26 AM   #81
gucci22
Private First Class
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Think I'm going to mod! Going to change my order to E93, and have a custom moonroof installed...win win, right?

It is all about preference. My 3 had a moon and I loved driving around my island with it open (or even closed w/door slid open on rainy days) so I know I'm going to miss it; but the CF look with my AW looks sick!
'05 G35 6MT | Silver/Black (SOLD)
'01 328ci Step | Blue/Beige (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #82
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
No moonroof will get you exactly what you're looking for. 1.5"...
smmmrf - this is important information. Can you tell me where you obtained this measurement? R U certain of its accuracy?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #83
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball99 View Post
smmmrf - this is important information. Can you tell me where you obtained this measurement? R U certain of its accuracy?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...08&postcount=6

It's pretty significant. I'm 6'2 and really appreciate the extra headroom. It makes it feel like a much more spacious car to me.
Appreciate 0