BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

01-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

V8's luxury rumble grows fainter - CNNMoney.com

hmm, BMW started or reinvigorated the trend or stumbled upon it?

Quote:
The top-end engine in the new MKS sedan, to be offered within a year of the car's launch, will be a twin-turbocharged V6 with direct gasoline injection. Turbochargers push air into the engine's cylinders for higher compression and greater power. Direct injection pushes fuel directly into the cylinder at high pressure.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/29/auto...ion=2008013016
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

There's no reason to have a V8 in a a car without sporting intentions, so I think that Ford going with the eccoboost, Lincoln with their TT V6, as well as MB and its upcoming TT V6, I think it's a great move.

However, there's no way that the V8 will die off for the mass production car. More and more specialty sporting divisions are being made (i.e. Lexus's F division) and I'm sure they'll be providing us with enough V8 happiness.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
There's no reason to have a V8 in a a car without sporting intentions, so I think that Ford going with the eccoboost, Lincoln with their TT V6, as well as MB and its upcoming TT V6, I think it's a great move.

However, there's no way that the V8 will die off for the mass production car. More and more specialty sporting divisions are being made (i.e. Lexus's F division) and I'm sure they'll be providing us with enough V8 happiness.
Wow....Merc going TT V6 too??? IF you dont mind, can you show me some source proving that?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Herknav
Won't drink the koolaid
United_States
Rep
Drives: blown and all natural

I think ya'll are missing the point here... by replacing an NA V-8 with a turboed V-6 they can claim both higher peak numbers and better MPG. If you drive a turbo vehicle conservativly by keeping it in the lower part of the rpm bands, it should have decent gas milage. If that vehicle is a 6 verus an 8, it should be even better.

But altogether will a luxury car with a turbo V6 get better performance that a NA V8? Probably. That 6 with PA will likely outperform the 8 (unless we are talking big block) but does that translate to real world MPG gains? I dunno. I don't think so.

If you drive your new luxury sedan with a careful foot on the right pedal, you should get good gas milage. If you always drove like that, you will likely notice an increase in gas milage (since your new turboed V6 is sipping less gas at low throttle than your old V8 is)... but if you just jam on the fun pedal like normal... I think the turbo will still take you into payforlotsagasland...
      02-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Wow....Merc going TT V6 too??? IF you dont mind, can you show me some source proving that?
I honestly wish I could, but I think it was stated in a magazine. I'll try to find it in the future, but there was definitely something about a DI TT V6 in development down at Benz.

I bet we'll be seeing it in the next year or two. Hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I honestly wish I could, but I think it was stated in a magazine. I'll try to find it in the future, but there was definitely something about a DI TT V6 in development down at Benz.

I bet we'll be seeing it in the next year or two. Hopefully.
Hmmm...thanks anyway for the tip...I hope they do go ahead with the TT v6
Appreciate 0