BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

M3 testdrive - My personal review

Today I got an M3 from BMW Switzerland for a one hour testdrive :-)

spec: 19", no EDC

Here my thoughts:

general:
Very comfortable, very easy to drive, very fast, no major disappointments

engine:
Awsome sound (volume inside is ok; not muted as some other reviews said), acceleration: <3500rpm ok, >3500 all hell breaks loose. Actually it behaves like a turbo engine (real boost at 3500), which was quite unexpected. Overall: could get the "engine of the year" award.

suspension/handling:
The standard suspension (no EDC) is comfortable but is at the same time stiff enough go fast around corners. The steering is ok. I will still get EDC.

gearbox:
My opinion has been confirmed: The 6MT tranny is rubbish. Just forget quick shifts.

NEWS:

In Geneva (March 08) BMW will introduce the M3 convertible together with M-DCT. Available late spring.
(This info is from a BMW-CH guy who will go to Geneva to present this stuff)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Probably the first drive with no EDC... will be interesting to hear other reviews...

Jason
      09-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

It will be really interesting to hear from people who have driven both EDC and non-EDC setups.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
suspension/handling:
The standard suspension (no EDC) is comfortable but is at the same time stiff enough go fast around corners. The steering is ok. I will still get EDC.
How is the standard suspension compared to an E46 m3 (if you have experience there)?

Quote:
NEWS:

In Geneva (March 08) BMW will introduce the M3 convertible together with M-DCT. Available late spring.
I hope that isn't true since I really wanted to see the convertible in Detroit. Also, other rumors point to M-DCT debuting in Detroit or LA with the M3 sedan. But maybe your guy was only talking about the European debut?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
How is the standard suspension compared to an E46 m3 (if you have experience there)?
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I hope that isn't true since I really wanted to see the convertible in Detroit. Also, other rumors point to M-DCT debuting in Detroit or LA with the M3 sedan. But maybe your guy was only talking about the European debut?
He only said conv and DCT will be there for sure; this doesn't rule out an earlier debut of e.g. DCT (although I personally doubt that).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
gearbox:
My opinion has been confirmed: The 6MT tranny is rubbish. Just forget quick shifts.
Short shifter will fix this.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

[QUOTE=swiss_cornholio;1428072]My opinion has been confirmed: The 6MT tranny is rubbish. Just forget quick shifts.

Sorry for this but I couldn't disagree more. It does take a little time, maybe half a day, but once you learn the timing the shifts are short and quick; in some ways more satisfying than my 911 (996) T; sold in July so no direct comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
Sorry for this but I couldn't disagree more. It does take a little time, maybe half a day, but once you learn the timing the shifts are short and quick; in some ways more satisfying than my 911 (996) T; sold in July so no direct comparison.
I'm not going to throw any superlatives around, since I have not yet driven the car, but after sitting in it, the travel in the clutch pedal (which feels extremely light, by the way) is long and so is the throw of the lever. With your eyes closed you frankly would not believe you were in an M3. It really doesn't feel sporty.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I'm not going to throw any superlatives around, since I have not yet driven the car, but after sitting in it, the travel in the clutch pedal (which feels extremely light, by the way) is long and so is the throw of the lever. With your eyes closed you frankly would not believe you were in an M3. It really doesn't feel sporty.
Exactly what I was talking about!

I compare it with my Z4: They would rather have taken that gearbox/clutch and put an M batch on the stick!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
marwan
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Today I got an M3 from BMW Switzerland for a one hour testdrive :-)

spec: 19", no EDC

Here my thoughts:

general:
Very comfortable, very easy to drive, very fast, no major disappointments

engine:
Awsome sound (volume inside is ok; not muted as some other reviews said), acceleration: <3500rpm ok, >3500 all hell breaks loose. Actually it behaves like a turbo engine (real boost at 3500), which was quite unexpected. Overall: could get the "engine of the year" award.

suspension/handling:

gearbox:

NEWS:

sweet! sounds like another winner, i'm sure once M-DCT is introduced, it'll turn the new M3 into a whole new different beast! just remember my words

i'll be waiting for the M-DCT version anyways. screw 6 speed tranny, it's like dessert, DCT is where it's at!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
bulletproof
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Call me old school, but there's nothing like shifting through the gears and mastering your car's manual transmission. It makes me feel more involved I guess...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
marwan
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
Call me old school, but there's nothing like shifting through the gears and mastering your car's manual transmission. It makes me feel more involved I guess...
i totally understand your point and agree with it, i owned 2 M3s(E36/E46) for 10 years(7 years/3 years respectively) and both were manual and i loved them, but when i bought my E60 M5(sold the M3s) i took the plunge and got it in SMG knowing i would love it, and i'm glad i did, easy shifting, perfect shifts and smoother, i know manual is more involving, and i do miss it, but not to the point of owning it again, but unfortunately i grew tired of manual, and wanted a clutchless manual, so i opted for SMG and i'm extremely happy with it.

nonetheless, i totally see where you're coming from.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
So, how's the S2000 coming along?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
I am probably a younger M3 driver and very much into new techlonogy, love gadgets etc but I too am old school when it comes to transmissions.

Nothing better than heel toeing into a nice bend and smoothly shifting up out of the turn
Appreciate 0