BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

Question DCT shifted itself to neutral? Safety feature or malfunction??

Guys:
Something really strange occured to me today... I went to buy dinner, and as I was driving out of the plaza, all of a sudden my car shifted itself to neutral. Even when i tried to shift to manual to D, DCT wouldn't respond. I also stepped on gas but the engine wouldn't rev. However, I didn't feel that the engine was completely off. It only seemed that DCT got stuck at Neutral, and engine was running but unresponsive to the gas paddle....What's more bizarre was that when I pressed the "Start Engine" button, the engine actually started up and everything back to normal...

Situation: I was making a wide turn a corner away the plaza exit, but I couldn't full turn so I had to stop and wait for the oncoming traffic from cars entering the plaza to pass...And that is when my car shifted itself to N.

Question:
1. If I could restart the engine, that implied the engine should have been off, but I didn't feel the engine was completely off. Is this even possible, or the engine WAS off and my memory fooled me again!!!

2. Someone in another thread talked about certain safety feature... Can this be one of them? Wide turn with close range hitting oncoming traffic at really low speed???

Side Note:
About a month back my car acted up too. Only this time I was waiting at the traffic light, and all of a sudden the car revved the engine by itself (yes, this time i am sure my foot was on the break and the car was at full stop) to around 1000-1500 rpm. I freaked out because I could have hit the car in front of me if I released the break. So i shut off the engine and restarted and everything went OK.

My car is new and only had a bit over 5k miles.... Anyone ever experienced something similar???? I will schedule with the dealer to bring the car back but I doubt they will find out anything since these issues come and go....

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
SECRET M
Engineer
Rep
Drives: N/A

auto start/stop malfunction??
      02-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Isnt that the Auto start-stop function on the 2011s?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

This has GOT to be the auto start-stop function. Look at your center console beneath your CD player. You'll see a button for auto-start stop. make sure its set to off (from what i understand this is function is supposed to be off by default on the car. that's how it is on mine at least).

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan View Post
1. If I could restart the engine, that implied the engine should have been off, but I didn't feel the engine was completely off. Is this even possible, or the engine WAS off and my memory fooled me again!!!
Sounds to me like the engine must have stalled, yes. That definitely should not have happened, of course. I suppose it either could have been an underrev caused by a DCT glitch, or some issue with the start/stop as others suggested above. Could have been a one time freak thing, but you might want to take it in and see if there are any codes stored.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

This has happened to me. The car stalls and i was stuck in the middle of the street. Just restarted it and back to normal.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This has happened to me too. My car jumped into neutral at an intersection when I had 2k miles on it, and I'm positive I did not bump the shifter by accident (plus, my foot was off the brake). It hasn't happened again - I attribute it to just a DCT quirk.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
emthreeboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

No car is perfect, pretty sure it was a glitch or auto start.stop incident.

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Looper
BEAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

I had mine actually stall in a parking lot pulling up to a stop sign at slow speeds, only did it once but I knew it had stalled because the tach was laying on zero.... That damn tach does come in handy sometimes. Mine is a DCT with no stop start BS.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Happened to my 2008 E92, the M-DCT has a mind of it's own & switched to N, wouldn't response to anything, including trying to switched to D mode. I had just came to a complete stop to make a right turn, then it happened. Ended up restarting the car, took 2 trips to the dealer during a 2-3 weeks period to get it fixed. First they adjusted the clutch pressure, which gave me DSC malfunction warning the very next day, then they contacted BMW NA & uploaded the data to them, while NA contact Germany. My car was at the dealership while waiting on a software update from Germany for about a week (it was finally ready for download on around 12/23/2010).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08E92M3 View Post
Happened to my 2008 E92, the M-DCT has a mind of it's own & switched to N, wouldn't response to anything, including trying to switched to D mode. I had just came to a complete stop to make a right turn, then it happened. Ended up restarting the car, took 2 trips to the dealer during a 2-3 weeks period to get it fixed. First they adjusted the clutch pressure, which gave me DSC malfunction warning the very next day, then they contacted BMW NA & uploaded the data to them, while NA contact Germany. My car was at the dealership while waiting on a software update from Germany for about a week (it was finally ready for download on around 12/23/2010).
Thanks for the detailed information... I will be making an appointment with my dealer and make sure I reserve a loaner car (wonder if they have 135 or even mini loaner which is what I am looking into buying as a commute car next)

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #12
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08E92M3 View Post
Thanks for the detailed information... I will be making an appointment with my dealer and make sure I reserve a loaner car (wonder if they have 135 or even mini loaner which is what I am looking into buying as a commute car next)

Did you ever figured out the problem?
Appreciate 0