BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

12-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
Really? This "throwback" bodystyle has been around since 2005...and now it'll go for another 4 years approximately. That's basically the same car (with some facelifts here and there) for 14 years. I guess I'm crazy :confused

The car is not ugly by ANY means. Guess I'm just disappointed because I expected a completely redesigned car
Hit the nail square on the head. The "Retro" look was decent at best the last body style. To do it again for the new body style. Not a bad looking car, but they get zero points for their "think outside box" mindset and originality.

Actually its sort of disappointing because I'd love to see American manufaturers design and build a car I could go for. Modern looks, state of the art technology, electronics and powertrain, potent power house, high degree of quality and materials of manufacture, and lastly a good price...

I guess this is asking too much from America unfortunately..
Are'nt you describing the new Vette!?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
i think it looks awesome. I like it and am excited to see it in person... i just dont understand why ford insist on making these mustangs have such a terrible stance stock... they always look like the body is too big for the wheels if anyone can understand what i mean

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Are'nt you describing the new Vette!?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #26
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

my biggest problem stangs is that the base stangs overpopulate the roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

That can be said about every base car. The roads are littered with c classes, 3 series and audi a4's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson
That can be said about every base car. The roads are littered with c classes, 3 series and audi a4's.
I'm not sure an M3 is to a 335i what a Mustang GT is to a Mustang V6, to me the M3, I would compare it more to what an Evo is to a regular Lancer, they have not much in common except the platform! The GT in the Mustang familly would be more like the SI for the Honda Civic, it's the exact same car but with more performance and luxury! Just my 0.02$!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #29
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
Ok...since no one else seemed to do it, I guess I will.

I gotta admit...when I heard the new mustang was going to be redesigned, I was pretty excited. Everyone in the car game has stepped it up quite a bit and I was expecting to see a radical and very aggressive mustang. Did it fall short for anyone else? I mean...it looks EXACTLY the same. I thought they were going to make it more fuzion-like...resembling an aston martin. At least the interior isn't TOO terrible? (although I dislike the shifter)

They call it "redesigning". Honda calls it plagarism. They'd like their 2013 Accord Coupe designs back....
1) Same roofline? Check
2) Same beauty line running from the front rear well to the tail lights? Check
3) Same door handle locale in said beauty line? Check
4) Same angle for the rear of the 1/4 window? Check
5) Same rear bumper design? Check

Last edited by whats77inaname; 12-19-2013 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure an M3 is to a 335i what a Mustang GT is to a Mustang V6, to me the M3, I would compare it more to what an Evo is to a regular Lancer, they have not much in common except the platform! The GT in the Mustang familly would be more like the SI for the Honda Civic, it's the exact same car but with more performance and luxury! Just my 0.02$!
You know what I mean. Same difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
They call it "redesigning". Honda calls it plagarism. They'd like their 2013 Accord Coupe designs back....
1) Same roofline? Check
2) Same beauty line running from the front rear well to the tail lights? Check
3) Same door handle locale in said beauty line? Check
4) Same angle for the rear of the 1/4 window? Check
5) Same rear bumper design? Check

LOL at Ford modeling their icon after an economy car. Roofline? That roofline or fastback, has been there since 1964.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #31
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You know what I mean. Same difference.
I know what you mean but I don't share your view on this, maybe because when I see a Mustang in the street I can't even tell if it's a GT or a V6, as to when I see regular 3series I don't really care but when I see an M3 I
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #32
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
LOL at Ford modeling their icon after an economy car.
I know, right? *smh* First thing I thought when I saw the Mustang was, "Did Honda and Ford pull a Toyota/Subaru?"
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
I know what you mean but I don't share your view on this, maybe because when I see a Mustang in the street I can't even tell if it's a GT or a V6, as to when I see regular 3series I don't really care but when I see an M3 I
The GT with the Brembo pack gets a different engine, different suspension, brakes, differential, wheels and tires than the regular Mustang. How is that unlike what the M3 is to a 328i?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #34
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Throw some BMW badges on that mustang and all the herp derps bashing it would be drooling over how great it is.

I can always differentiate between a base Mustang and a GT or a Boss. Although I would love to see Ford give the GT a quad exhaust to make it further stand out.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Going to hold out for the Eddie Bauer edition.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
The GT with the Brembo pack gets a different engine, different suspension, brakes, differential, wheels and tires than the regular Mustang. How is that unlike what the M3 is to a 328i?
The M3 gets more then just performance parts, it gets completly diffenrent body panels(except for doors and trunk) and a completly different suspension geometry, different seats and materials inside, the M engineers take the 3 series platform and make a car based on it, while the GT is not a car BASED on the Mustang, IT IS a Mustang, you can get a V6 that will look almost exacly like a V8 but with less perfromance! IMO, that explains why people are still impress when seing an M3 even with all those 3 series in the streets!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 12-20-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

For me those Mustangs are pretty much the same car while the bimmers are two different models and if you ask the M engineers, I'm sure they'll tell you the same! Sorry for the thread jacking!

Name:  1780bdb0.png
Views: 582
Size:  725.6 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Alex07M3; 12-20-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
For me those Mustangs are pretty much the same car while the bimmers are two different models and if you ask the M engineers, I'm sure they'll tell you the same! Sorry for the thread jacking!
LOL! Of course they'll tell you they are two different cars. How else do they expect you to drop an additional $30K?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #39
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The M3 gets more then just performance parts, it gets completly diffenrent body panels(except for doors and trunk) rolling out the fenders to put wider tires underneath and adding a couple of fake vents to the front sides of the car isn't exactly rocket science and a completly different suspension geometry,not sure about the exact difference between GT and V6 Mustang suspensions but they are also different too different seats and materials inside,yes different seats, though not very good ones, but what do you mean different materials? M3 interior is identical to series model interior the M engineers take the 3 series platform and make a car based on it, while the GT is not a car BASED on the Mustang, IT IS a Mustang, you can get a V6 that will look almost exacly like a V8 but with less perfromance! according to that argument a C6Z06 is not a Corvette since it has EVERYTHING different, and unlike the M3, even the frame for the Z06 is different from a base Vette.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
Quote:
The M3 gets more then just performance parts, it gets completly diffenrent body panels(except for doors and trunk) rolling out the fenders to put wider tires underneath and adding a couple of fake vents to the front sides of the car isn't exactly rocket science and a completly different suspension geometry,not sure about the exact difference between GT and V6 Mustang suspensions but they are also different too different seats and materials inside,yes different seats, though not very good ones, but what do you mean different materials? M3 interior is identical to series model interior the M engineers take the 3 series platform and make a car based on it, while the GT is not a car BASED on the Mustang, IT IS a Mustang, you can get a V6 that will look almost exacly like a V8 but with less perfromance! according to that argument a C6Z06 is not a Corvette since it has EVERYTHING different, and unlike the M3, even the frame for the Z06 is different from a base Vette.
I dont think the wider fenders are there just for the tires, the car also has a wider stance and like I said a different suspension geometry and components! As for the seats, you maybe don't like them but they are different, in shape and materials! As for the interior, it is the same design but apart from the dash board, every materials have been changed!

You probably already know that but on top of being built by a different team of engineers, the M3 is also built in a different factory with 80% of it's parts being unique to it. I'd be curious to know how much of it's parts a Mustang GT shares with a similarely equipped V6! As for the Z06 I honestly don't know and I don't care! For me the M3 is just like the new 2015 WRX, it has a lot in common with the Impreza but it's not an Impreza!

All that to say that seing so much Mustangs in the streets makes a GT looks less of a special car while seeing a lot of 3 series does'nt take away anything from the M3!

But like in a lot of things, it's to each their own opinions, who really knows how much different a car needs to be to be considered a different car, maybe you consider a Hennessey Venon to be the same as a Lotus Elise, who would I be to tell you you're wrong!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I dont think the wider fenders are there just for the tires, the car also has a wider stance and like I said a different suspension geometry and components!
Yes, the track is wider and along with the bigger wheels and tires, a wider fender was necessary
Quote:
As for the seats, you maybe don't like them but they are different, in shape and materials! As for the interior, it is the same design but apart from the dash board, every materials have been changed!
the M3 interior is straight from the 3 series. The materials and front seats maybe are different from most 3 series models you see on the road, but all those materials, including the extended leather and the M steering wheel and shifter, are available as extra cost options on the series models. Here is a pic of a 335i M Sport interior. Can you tell any difference at all between that and the interior of your car?

Quote:
You probably already know that but on top of being built by a different team of engineers, the M3 is also built in a different factory with 80% of it's parts being unique to it. I'd be curious to know how much of it's parts a Mustang GT shares with a similarely equipped V6!
I'm actually curious as to where that 80% figure comes from that is always quoted everywhere. Is there a reliable source for that number other than BMW marketing BS? What is that 80% figure based on? Total weight of the parts? Total number of the parts?
Quote:
As for the Z06 I honestly don't know and I don't care!
The Z06 has different wheels and tires, brakes, engine, suspension, and body panels than a regular C6 Vette. Same with the M3. But the Z06 has a different frame made of aluminum and also magnesium subframes as opposed to the base C6 steel frame. The M3 on the other hand still uses the same overweight steel frame of the 3 series model cars.

Quote:
All that to say that seing so much Mustangs in the streets makes a GT looks less of a special car while seeing a lot of 3 series does'nt take away anything from the M3!
I agree that Mustangs are a dime a dozen including the GT model. But don't kid yourself. An M3 isn't all that special. 99% of the people on the road would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an M3 and a 3 series model car. Even the M3 isn't all that rare either. I see at least one pretty much every day where I live.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #42
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
Quote:
I dont think the wider fenders are there just for the tires, the car also has a wider stance and like I said a different suspension geometry and components!
Yes, the track is wider and along with the bigger wheels and tires, a wider fender was necessary
Quote:
As for the seats, you maybe don't like them but they are different, in shape and materials! As for the interior, it is the same design but apart from the dash board, every materials have been changed!
the M3 interior is straight from the 3 series. The materials and front seats maybe are different from most 3 series models you see on the road, but all those materials, including the extended leather and the M steering wheel and shifter, are available as extra cost options on the series models. Here is a pic of a 335i M Sport interior. Can you tell any difference at all between that and the interior of your car?
[IMG]http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-...Three001sm.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
You probably already know that but on top of being built by a different team of engineers, the M3 is also built in a different factory with 80% of it's parts being unique to it. I'd be curious to know how much of it's parts a Mustang GT shares with a similarely equipped V6!
I'm actually curious as to where that 80% figure comes from that is always quoted everywhere. Is there a reliable source for that number other than BMW marketing BS? What is that 80% figure based on? Total weight of the parts? Total number of the parts?
Quote:
As for the Z06 I honestly don't know and I don't care!
The Z06 has different wheels and tires, brakes, engine, suspension, and body panels than a regular C6 Vette. Same with the M3. But the Z06 has a different frame made of aluminum and also magnesium subframes as opposed to the base C6 steel frame. The M3 on the other hand still uses the same overweight steel frame of the 3 series model cars.

Quote:
I agree that Mustangs are a dime a dozen including the GT model. But don't kid yourself. An M3 isn't all that special. 99% of the people on the road would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an M3 and a 3 series model car. Even the M3 isn't all that rare either. I see at least one pretty much every day where I live.
Yes I can tell a lot of differences between this interior and the one of the M3! And me either I don't know how BMW arrived with their 80% number but I think it's legit since I find it easier to count the parts that are different then the parts that are the same!

As for the M3 not being that special, I think you are fooling yourself if you think so, IMO that's like saying a 911 or an Aston Martin are'nt special cars! Seriously, do you see a lot of V8 that revs north of 8000rpms in normal cars!?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #43
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Yes I can tell a lot of differences between this interior and the one of the M3! And me either I don't know how BMW arrived with their 80% number but I think it's legit since I find it easier to count the parts that are different then the parts that are the same!

As for the M3 not being that special, I think you are fooling yourself if you think so, IMO that's like saying a 911 or an Aston Martin are'nt special cars!
LOL. Now the M3 is in the same category as an Aston? LOL. Its delusional enough that a lot of you guys think its in the same conversation as a 911, but now Aston. wow.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As for the M3 not being that special, I think you are fooling yourself if you think so, IMO that's like saying a 911 or an Aston Martin are'nt special cars!
LOL. Now the M3 is in the same category as an Aston? LOL. Its delusional enough that a lot of you guys think its in the same conversation as a 911, but now Aston. wow.
I never said that they were in the same category, i just said they're all special cars, for their own reasons obviously! They all have things that you wont find in normal cars, remember in 07 when the e9x M3 came out(and even today), there was'nt much cars that came with, 7-speed DCT, 8400rpm red line, cf roof, electromagnetic dampers, throttle mapping, ect... If this is not a special car then what is!?

I'd be curious to know what makes a Aston Martin or a 911 that much more special then an M3 for you!? Is it the price or the rarety!?
Appreciate 0