BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

a tune wouldn't void warranty if..

did some research and wanted to understand something better

I plan on picking up a gintani hfc x pipe to go with my gintani sport and know I will get the CEL. I'm debating over picking up an akra delete r or going all out and getting an ESS tune. However, I don't want to void the lease warranty on my car (even though I plan on buying it out) nor would I want to void the manufacture or extended warranty after my buy out.

Basically, can I get a tune and not void warranty if i dont 1) remove the cold start, 2) extend the rev limiter, and 3) extend the speed limiter.
Now if I do do this, do I still gain all the power from a tune?

If I go with the delete, will the power gains from just the xpipe to enough to settle my crave for more power? If I do go the delete route, I'll use the extra $$ and get a gintani pulley while I'm at it.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

+1 If you really care about your warranty, leave it stock -- it's really that simple.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Im worried about the tune and warranty but as for the xpipe, its a bolt on right? So, if anything I can swap back to my OEM pipes.
Basically then, will the power boost from the x pipe and maybe pulleys be enough? If down the line I decide I want more power I can do a tune .
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Just supercharge. Nuffsaid
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

In my opinion, your relationship with your service advisor and the relationship between you or them with the techs in the back (especially the foreman) is most important if you are truly worried about warranty issues.
      08-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Agreed, but they don't have control regarding warranty with big-ticket items. A regional supervisor will come out to assess the issue, at that point the tech and SA won't be able to help much. Not to be a downer, and I'm obviously all for modding, but I think it is important to know what you'll be dealing with if the shit hits the fan.
That is true and hopefully nothing major happens. But damn do they help on all the small stuff
      08-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

What Mr Plutonium said. Small things probably no problem, but major repairs are on you. I see it this way: If you mod be prepared to be your own warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post

I plan on picking up a gintani hfc x pipe to go with my gintani sport and know I will get the CEL. I'm debating over picking up an akra delete r or going all out and getting an ESS tune. However, I don't want to void the lease warranty on my car (even though I plan on buying it out) nor would I want to void the manufacture or extended warranty after my buy out.

Basically, can I get a tune and not void warranty if i dont 1) remove the cold start, 2) extend the rev limiter, and 3) extend the speed limiter.

If I go with the delete, will the power gains from just the xpipe to enough to settle my crave for more power? If I do go the delete route, I'll use the extra $$ and get a gintani pulley while I'm at it.

None of those three things will improve performance... well perhaps the rev limit increase but I dont think it would be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=Rekrul]
Quote:

None of those three things will improve performance... well perhaps the rev limit increase but I dont think it would be worth it.

I read somewhere that these 3 things were dead give aways of a tune. I just wanted to know though if they were essential to help towards the overall gains a tune is suppose to make
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
I read somewhere that these 3 things were dead give aways of a tune. I just wanted to know though if they were essential to help towards the overall gains a tune is suppose to make
Yes indeed they are. But if one things about how a tune makes power... none of those would really apply to power increases.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Yes indeed they are. But if one things about how a tune makes power... none of those would really apply to power increases.
Ahh alright. I guess I'll avoid the tune for now. Maybe later on down the road. I'll stick to either cosmetics or the x pipe and delete
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahh alright. I guess I'll avoid the tune for now. Maybe later on down the road. I'll stick to either cosmetics or the x pipe and delete
Like stated before the xpipe is more risky than the tune. I wouldn't stress about a tune but depending on the dealership the xpipe might cause you issues. If you get the xpipe definitely get the tune. The delete r isn't super cheap anyway...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
Like stated before the xpipe is more risky than the tune. I wouldn't stress about a tune but depending on the dealership the xpipe might cause you issues. If you get the xpipe definitely get the tune. The delete r isn't super cheap anyway...
Damn... I thought that since the xpipe is a blot on, wouldn't it only affect my warranty for just the x pipe section? also, with any problems, I'll keep my oem and if anything swap them. The tune to me was a bit more tricky to take out. Guess I'm wrong :
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you don't mind removing and reinstalling the x-pipe, tune, air filter and pulley when the car goes in for service, do those mods. Figure on 4 hours off and 4 hours back on for a DIYer for all those parts. If the car goes in once a year for an oil change, this might not be too big of a time commitment.

Skip the higher rpm limit and top speed delimit. The rpm and speed are stored in the computer and cannot be erased so BMW can find evidence of a tune if they spend the time to investigate. They will if you need engine work.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
m3buckeye
will bring some beers
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots

I am sure there is a great need for many peeps to peg it at 9k+ RPM and go 190mph in their DD.

Get some tires and a radar detector, son....

Last edited by m3buckeye; 08-13-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
m3buckeye
will bring some beers
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots

My only point was if you were going to fret over voiding the warranty, get mods (as you did, like a SC) that will really make a difference.

Rev and top speed limiters are not real world applications, but a SC, pulley, etc. would be.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

K I got a tune guys. It comes in today and hopefully I'll get it all set up. My only question is, is the removal of cold start really that noticeable? I know about don't mod if you don't want to void but I'm just asking.
I have no need for rev increase or speed limiter increase. I just want the extra hp and torque and the idea of no drone at start up is nice
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
K I got a tune guys. It comes in today and hopefully I'll get it all set up. My only question is, is the removal of cold start really that noticeable? I know about don't mod if you don't want to void but I'm just asking.
I have no need for rev increase or speed limiter increase. I just want the extra hp and torque and the idea of no drone at start up is nice
It is noticeable but nothing that I have ever seen a tech at a dealer make a big deal about, but then again you never know.

Remember with the personal tuner you can always go back to stock before bringing your car into the dealer

Thanks for the support

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729295
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=Omar@VelosDesignwerks]
Quote:

It is noticeable but nothing that I have ever seen a tech at a dealer make a big deal about, but then again you never know.

Remember with the personal tuner you can always go back to stock before bringing your car into the dealer

Thanks for the support

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729295
This is true! I just read that when you change the rpm and speed limiter it leaves traces (my tech lingo isn't great) in the codes. I'll figure it out! Thanks guys for all the feedback!
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Nicname let me know how things work out. Are you still getting the x-pipe? I'm sorta thinkin the same things.

I'm guessing a case of wine for your SA and dealer couldn't hurt?

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0