BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Scoops! Which ones do I choose??

The next mod I want to do is the scoops mod. RPI and AFE are the only two I know of so the choice should be somewhat easy. I've also read that the RPI ones aren't the best in terms of install and how stable they sit, but they're also $100 cheaper.

So my question is; what are the pros and cons of either the RPI and/or the AFE scoops?

I'd really appreciate if the people who have them or have installed them could chime in on this one?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I like the aFe scoops, they use the factory bolts and are made from anodized aluminum so the quality and construction is well thought out. Check out msile's thread about his install of the aFe:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=afe+scoop
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
RPi without a doubt!

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
RPi without a doubt!
Hey MrHarris,

Was your installation as messy as some others have posted? Are the scoops held in place nice and snug, or is there some movement?

Thanks in advance.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The next mod I want to do is the scoops mod. RPI and AFE are the only two I know of so the choice should be somewhat easy. I've also read that the RPI ones aren't the best in terms of install and how stable they sit, but they're also $100 cheaper.

So my question is; what are the pros and cons of either the RPI and/or the AFE scoops?

I'd really appreciate if the people who have them or have installed them could chime in on this one?
save your money?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

AFE, their bolt on no mess, I'm happy with mine
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socale92 View Post
save your money?
+1

If the ///M engineers could of squeezed 10 more hp out of the car by putting stupid little scoops on the front dont you think they would of done it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
rpi.
      01-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

search for a few independant dyno graphs....
When you are done, hopefully the fact that the scoops were never designed to work with our unique airboxes is apparent (the concept is for 'closed' airboxes of the M5/6/335 vehicles), keep your money. You'll have the same performance as if you added scoops and you'll have a good 1/3 of a track day's cost saved.
Be good,
TomK

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
+1

If the ///M engineers could of squeezed 10 more hp out of the car by putting stupid little scoops on the front dont you think they would of done it?
Perhaps they could have, but blocking a significant portion of the cooling air meant for the radiator and compromising the cooling system's effectiveness probably had something to do with it...that and the monster "scoop" that's already in the driver's side foglight duct area...

I'm amazed these things still sell...sad.

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
GTR-M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw M3 V8 M-DCT

Go with RPI, i think they look and work better and a lot cheaper as well, www.shoprpi.com

***NO GUTS, NO GLORY! ///M3 TUNER***
***PASSION DOES NOT COMPROMISE***
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Perhaps they could have, but blocking a significant portion of the cooling air meant for the radiator and compromising the cooling system's effectiveness probably had something to do with it...that and the monster "scoop" that's already in the driver's side foglight duct area...

I'm amazed these things still sell...sad.
+1

I know people dont want to believe it but a filter is all the better you can do for the cars intake system. We have tested it all from Gruppe M to the lager Plenum and the HP to $ ratio was horrible. Save the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
diablito
motorist
Peru
Rep
Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
after reading a few post and asking someone with a red scoop on his E90..I decided to go with the filter ONLY.

saved $99 bucks by switching to no-scoops

ps. I was looking forward to the little red things peeking from the front grills LOL
      01-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
+1

+1 that's what I've been saying all along. Plus the fact that you can't "ram" air into a box with w giant hole in it.
      01-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablito View Post
after reading a few post and asking someone with a red scoop on his E90..I decided to go with the filter ONLY.

saved $99 bucks by switching to no-scoops

ps. I was looking forward to the little red things peeking from the front grills LOL
I think I'm gonna do the same and just save my cash on this mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
RPi without a doubt!
Are they ever coming out with the M3 specific scoops?

I still want to know how there are suppose to work when we have a big vent on the hood that will let out any additional pressure built up by the scoops?
Like many others, you can easily see water shooting out of the hood vent when it rains, so there's no one way valve there.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

I still want to know how there are suppose to work when we have a big vent on the hood that will let out any additional pressure built up by the scoops?
Like many others, you can easily see water shooting out of the hood vent when it rains, so there's no one way valve there.
Funny thing is people keep shelling out $100 at a time to buy them.
      01-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

scoops are stupid and dont work Period. There isnt a one way valve because that vent sucks in air at higher RPM.
Appreciate 0