BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #23
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Here are some pics, 10mm on all four,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #24
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

More, I know I posted twice, but sometimes people never check all of the topics, just want to help out fellow M3 owners.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #25
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Erm, I'm on track tomorrow and run my Breyton 19s with no spacers on the front and 10mm spacers on the rear. I was going to remove the rear spacers when I switch the OEM 18s back on for the track day but wonder if people thought I should leave them on for any benefit? Minor point but I thought I would ask.
Hey Leg :

I'm not sure your level of track experience (so please be very careful if you are at the novice level) but this would be a great opportunity to feel the difference in changes to your car, if you are pushing the car enough to feel the effects of understeer/oversteer.

Try running your stock 18's without any spacers for a few laps and then try running them in the front for a few laps and see how that feels. Everyone likes their car to perform differently but many like it to be as close to neutral as possible which adding width to the front will help to achieve. Adding 20mm of track to the front (using your 10mm spacers) might be more than it wants but you should feel a difference if you are taking the car far enough with your driving. You don't want to go too wide in the front because you can start making the car oversteer instead. Putting your spacers on the rear as you mention will amplify the existing understeer condition on the car with the stock setup, which can also be a good learning experience. If you are comfortable try all three scenarios if possible and see what you can feel and what you like, and this will give you the best idea what spacers to be running if at all!

EDIT : Make sure that you are using the right length lug bolts if you run the spacers on the front!

I don't know how all this relates to your Breyton 19's because I don't know the offsets on those.

Have fun and be safe out there!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by composed View Post
Hey Tom! That's my car! To answer a post from above - yes they are visually nice by filling out the wheel well, but more importantly for me is that it brings into check the understeer with the factory setup - so that does affect performance in a good way!

With the stock 18's (I use them on the track) I am running 15mm front and 10mm rear. This helps dial out the understeer inherent in the car due to the smaller wheel width in the front and resulting narrower track. My front and rear track are almost exactly the same now which yields a fairly neutral car.

The car is also sitting on H&R Sport springs. There is no rubbing or issues with this setup (stock tire sizes) and car drives great.

I've always used H&R Trak+ spacers and lug bolts/studs with great success! --ch.
There you are - are you coming in soon so we can look where the interior rattle is?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #27
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Local BMW authorized repair center (not a dealer) will charge me $47 to put this on.....Seems like a no-brainer vs. me buying a torque wrench and borrowing a jack, huh?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #28
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Update...The installer couldn't do it yesterday so I took it to Merchant's (did you know they were open until 9pm each night? Good lord). They were so enamored by my car that they didn't charge me a penny. I stood in the bay and watched him do each wheel (For a Merchant's Tire shop, the guy was extremely careful and even torqued them down to 90lbs). 30 mins and I was out. Not a huge difference but I can tell, nonetheless. Two guys came over and were grilling me about the C63 and how it could easily take my M. I asked him what he drove. He drives an S2000 but has added a supercharger and has 460hp (he says). Asked him if he saw the M3 vs. C63 shootout at the track. Sure, the C63 takes the M in a straight line but I didn't buy this car to drag race.
Appreciate 0