BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #67
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogS View Post
It's all good. I love cars too!
GTR is a beast, but I wouldn't own one for one reason. The car lacks a road feel, which is a must if I drive a sports car.
GT3 is a great choice! I wish I could get one too
Road feel as you call it is an over-rated thing to have on a car that spends almost all of it's time on the road instead of a track. Car's like the GT3 and GT3RS are primarily track cars that can be used on the road, the same is true for this M3GTS but the reason their steering has been designed to have this much feel is that race tracks is almost entirely smooth, or at the very least dramatically smoother than most road. Poorly repaired roads led to a very busy steering wheel and proves to be tiresome in daily driving. Most road going Porsches like the Boxster, Cayman and normal 911s are spot on with regards to feel but beyond these they aren't really designed for daily driving. All that really needed from a road car's steering it accurate inputs, doesn't deflect too badly with bumps and allows you to feel to point where the front grip starts to go, there is already enough tell-tail signs through the seat and your body to need anything more than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #68
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrg View Post
Wow, I could not disagree more.
I ran with with a 911 PDK 2S 10 times.
Now from a complete stop the Porsche dominated a car to two car lengths instantly but from a rolling start the results were much different.
I am not sure what that guy was doing with that tuned M3 on GT Board but my results were much different.
Rolling start in second the 911 still had an advantage but by the end of the of third the gap was nil and I passed him in fourth.
Unfortunately I have do not have video footage to prove these statements but to be honest I don't really care if there are believers out there or not.
Just had to get this off my chest.
That said my car is far from stock.
E90 with some extras.
Stock vs stock the Porsche will win hands down, of this I am in no doubt, especially as the speed increases. You say your car is far from stock, so it all depends on whether the one at the GTBoard event is even close to that of your.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #69
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Did you see this video of a forum member spankin' a 911 Cup Car?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323044
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #70
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

@shft@red:
I toasted a few Caymans and Boxsters/911/996/997s too with my ex E46 M3, 330i/335i and with my current E90 M3 it's no problem whatsoever to counterstrike a CaymanS. No worries.

A track is more than just a slalom course, you know that don't you?
Fun, driveability beyond grip/traction is what a //M3 has in its genes really well.

Does a CaymanS have a lsd standard? Just a question. The 2006 997S I drove didn't...

Anyway, Porsches that I do like are:
550RSK Spyder
906(/8)
959/961
956/962
964RS
Spyder
current 997GT3/RS/GT2
Ruf RT12

Porsches that I don't like are:
older 911s
924/944
Boxster/Cayman
Cayenne
Panamera

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #71
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
For those folks who want this thread to become a Boxster S/Cayman S vs M3 thread, I got one pix to show my point of view on that:

This picture says it all. And BTW, a guy was driving this car.
LOL. good god
this is what I have been trying to say all year long. i mean just ignore the color for a sec, just look at the shape of that cute thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #72
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
RH, toasting a Cayman S doesn't prove that an M3 is a better handling car, all it proves is you were a better driver than the other guy in the Porsche........you should already know this.

Shift@red is correct in his opinion of the Cayman, and I bet you also know this it is a superior handling car to an M3. But the simple facts are that the car can only do so much and it's the driver than makes up the rest of the package. Regarding your question about a Cayman having a LSD as standard, no it doesn't as you well know it's an option, but at the same time it doesn't stop the non-lsd car out lapping an M3 when all things are equal and the same was true for the 911.

All he is saying (and rightly so) is that Porsche make better handling cars than BMW to, admittedly BMW have the compromise of using platforms better suits to ferrying families about and getting groceries. All things considered I think BMW have done an admiral job with the M3 but lets not get carried away.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #73
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

No you did not, shift@fail. You have been caught blatantly lying before and this time is no different (i.e. you live in NY yet you have driven an M3 CSL owned by family friends in Europe?? Seriously??)

Your unparalleled fanboism aside, an M3 SHOULD eat the Cayman S on the backroads in the right hands even when M3 is not a Cayman S competitor.

You keep bragging about how well Cayman S handles by telling how quick the Cayman S is on the slaloms compared to the M3.

Although, slaloms are not everything to measure handling, but you failed at your argument. Another big 'F' for you for FAIL!!!! M3 has a faster slalom speed than Cayman S according to Edmunds Inside Line.

Cayman S slalom speed: 72.2 mph
Skidpad: Unknown

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...-cayman-s.html

M3 slalom speed: 73.3 mph
Skidpad: 0.95g

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/m3/200...-m3-coupe.html

p.s. Nearly 74 mph slalom speed is an astonishing feat by any standards. Let alone a 4-seater commuter car. Remember, the E46 M3 had only a 67 mph slalom speed and 0.87g lateral acceleration. The new M3 stomps all over that. Learn how to give credit where it is due and appreciate things for what they truly are. Not what you are trying to make them to be.

shift@fail == FAIL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
If youd have driven with a person who was actually trying or knew how to drive you probably wouldnt ahve 'toasted' them. Ive dusted a few e9X m3s with my Cayman S on some back/twisty roads. The look on the owners faces was priceless. LOL. Its easy to put down an m3 like a rabbid animal on a twisty road. Ive also done so to many other cars, but whos counting. Its just as much about the driver than the car. You see tons of cars like miatas tearing up track days because they have good drivers, not because the car is faster than the other ones there.
I know what the M3 has in its genes, I owned two e46 m3s (one was a ZCP) and while they are great, there are a lot of other car that do all those things you mention much better.
Im just saying the handling capabilities, grip, balance, etc of a Cayman S are far beyond that of any thing BMW makes, and certainly an m3.
No the Cayman S does not have an LSD, its now an option on 09 models.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #74
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
When I drive my buddies Miata and then get in my M3, it also feels like a Buick; so the Miata must be better.

Give me a break. Porsches are nice performers but they don't rape an M3; especially not an 911. The 911S slightly outperforms the M3 in real-world driving situation but it should for the extra $30-$50k ($58k-$70k vs $85k-$100k+).

To me, the M3 is a better executed package that combines breath-taking performance, beauty and enough comfort for a DD; yet capable enough for the occasional track day.

Unless you are driving a GT2 or GT3, nobody looks twice at 911 or 911S; at least not in Northern VA and DC.

While I agree with some of your points, you seem to be giving Porsche too much credit.

I park my e92 M3 next to a 911 S every night so I constantly compare the look, stance and aggressiveness of both cars. Both the 911S owner and I agree, the M3 looks better.

I have driven 911s several times and sit in one every time the owner is washing it (we normally have the same wash/detail cycle), the M3 is MUCH nicer inside than the 911 S.

-SZ
this man speaks truth. even my e46 m3 is better looking than the 911s and some 911 vert in my building. Yes, I park beside them on a regular basic.

if you think the boxter, cayman, 911 and 911s are close in term of look to the gt3, turbo, then you must be seriously joking. they are like a 3 series to the m3. Big different IMO. No matter what you do to them, they won't look like their top of the line model.

I would take

m3 > 911/911s everyday even if they are same price
m3 > boxter, cayman s. This shouldn't even be a comparison IMO
boxter, cayman s, 911/911s > any regular bmw 3/5/6 series car.
cayenne > x5
x6 > cayenne
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #75
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
No you did not, shift@fail. You have been caught blatantly lying before and this time is no different (i.e. you live in NY yet you have driven an M3 CSL owned by family friends in Europe?? Seriously??)

Your unparalleled fanboism aside, an M3 SHOULD eat the Cayman S on the backroads in the right hands even when M3 is not a Cayman S competitor.

You keep bragging about how well Cayman S handles by telling how quick the Cayman S is on the slaloms compared to the M3.

Although, slaloms are not everything to measure handling, but you failed at your argument. Another big 'F' for you for FAIL!!!! M3 has a faster slalom speed than Cayman S according to Edmunds Inside Line.

Cayman S slalom speed: 72.2 mph
Skidpad: Unknown

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...-cayman-s.html

M3 slalom speed: 73.3 mph
Skidpad: 0.95g

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/m3/200...-m3-coupe.html

p.s. Nearly 74 mph slalom speed is an astonishing feat by any standards. Let alone a 4-seater commuter car. Remember, the E46 M3 had only a 67 mph slalom speed and 0.87g lateral acceleration. The new M3 stomps all over that. Learn how to give credit where it is due and appreciate things for what they truly are. Not what you are trying to make them to be.

shift@fail == FAIL!!!!!
LOL. ownage
the m3 is 500lbs heavier. cayman s is not as good as shift@red made it to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #76
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
I would take

m3 > 911/911s everyday even if they are same price
m3 > boxter, cayman s. This shouldn't even be a comparison IMO
boxter, cayman s, 911/911s > any regular bmw 3/5/6 series car.
cayenne > x5
x6 > cayenne
All personally opinion which I respect, but some on your list I totally disagree with.

M3 > 997 when the you are talking about daily commuting, the same is true against the Cayman/Boxster.

997/Cayman/Boxster > M3 as a driver's car. They all have better feel and both the Cayman and Boxster have better balance from their chassis.

All Porsches > All BMWs if driver involvement is most important.

Cayenne > X5 > X6: The X6 is probably BMW's worst conceived ideas, it's impractical, it's suspension is overly sporty and leads to excessive bouncing and deflection mid-corner, the X5 is a much more rounder car but even it has to bow to the superior package that is the Cayenne, it's air suspension and brakes are so well judged.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #77
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

shift@fail, that is a Boxster S and not Cayman S. I don't care if theoratically you believe it will be faster. It still is NOT Cayman S.

Just like you continued to brag how Cayman S could outhandle Bugatti Veyrons, Enzo Ferraris etc., I picked the fastest two slalom speeds I could find for both cars tested on exactly the same test track since every magazine has a different slalom course, which could result in different numbers. Atleast, it was apples to apples on their best possible runs on the same course where M3 ran faster.

You are completely out of your mind right now with your blatant fanboism.

p.s. GRaider's M3 still looks more classier and timeless than your "bob cat looking" ugly Cayman S.

Quote:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=2983345

Boxster S-73.9 mph. Fact is you can knitpick results to show whatever you want. Cayman S is a better handling car than the m3 withour question.
Why is it that you quote 73 mph for thw m3 but I can easily go find results MUCH lower? Dont you realize that these tests are done of different days with different conditions. Gee...i think that type of thinking is beyond you.

Listen, you dont know anything about me, let alone what ive driven. Fact is, you dont even own an M car! Even my little sister owns a 330 ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #78
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Cayman S faster than an M3? LOL what world do you guys live in.
Of the 20 odd tracks that both cars have set a time the M3 was faster at all but 4...The Cayman is a nice enough car for a girl but seriously....
(fastestlaps.com)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #79
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

I love Z4 M. With the right wheels, it looks very aggressive. Above everything, I really love the S54 engine.

I don't care much about my 330 since it will be gone the first chance I get.

Quote:
What does that make your 330? I dont care what you like better, its personal choice. I guess you dont like the look of my Z4M's either huh?

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #80
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Aha, I know a Jag Diesel has better mpg costs less per mile etc. So it smacks a E9x M3 right in the face.

Then the Porsches, 'better' handling etc. Another smack in the //M3's face.

Just face it guys, we drive the worst car ever produced by footies/shift@red's standards.

"But as a whole package the //M3 stands out and is the real winner."bs

Wait until footie/shifty tackle you on that one with great argumentation as ever(...)

We just drive a mf lemon!

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #81
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

If I mention a Ferrari 458 Italia as one of the best cars atm(I guess) there is always an argument not to buy one(Cayman is a lot cheaper, better mpg) and so on and so on.

Great.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #82
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can't we all just get along

Here is my official opinion:

1. I love Porsche and would love to have a 911TT, GT2 or GT3

2. e92 M3 > Boxster, Boxster S, Cayman, Cayman S

3. e92 M3 <= 911

4. e92 M3 < 911S

5. e92 M3 < 911TT, GT2, GT3

Solution:

Have both an M3 and a GT3 in the garage.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #83
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

My solution would be an M3 and a 458 Italia.

Shoot me for that, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #84
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
My solution would be an M3 and a 458 Italia.

Shoot me for that, thank you.
+1

If I had my choice I would throw in a Ferrari F430 Scud Blk/Blk with CF interior.

The GT3 is reasonable for me in terms of affordability but not an F430.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #85
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What does that make your 330? I dont care what you like better, its personal choice. I guess you dont like the look of my Z4M's either huh? Then again, you probably do since youre as big into BMW as I am a fan a Porsche. At least Ive owned plenty of both to have a true opinion.
z4m is better looking than the cayman s. but i'm sure you think otherwise as stated in many of your posts.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #86
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Aha, I know a Jag Diesel has better mpg costs less per mile etc. So it smacks a E9x M3 right in the face.

Then the Porsches, 'better' handling etc. Another smack in the //M3's face.

Just face it guys, we drive the worst car ever produced by footies/shift@red's standards.

"But as a whole package the //M3 stands out and is the real winner."bs

Wait until footie/shifty tackle you on that one with great argumentation as ever(...)

We just drive a mf lemon!

Tell me RH, have I said anything that should make you want or need to direct your humour at me?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #87
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Can't we all just get along

Here is my official opinion:

1. I love Porsche and would love to have a 911TT, GT2 or GT3

2. e92 M3 > Boxster, Boxster S, Cayman, Cayman S

3. e92 M3 <= 911

4. e92 M3 < 911S

5. e92 M3 < 911TT, GT2, GT3

Solution:

Have both an M3 and a GT3 in the garage.

-SZ
this is my point of view as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #88
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Tell me RH, have I said anything that should make you want or need to direct your humour at me?
That's no argument footie, come on you can do better than that. Didn't you see the

Or whenever you feel tackled yourself you take the '' smiley to show how grownup and smart you are, is that it?

LOL sometimes you are(GTR vs GT2 thread i.e)

and another
Appreciate 0