BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

06-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Medal system my A$$

Can you imagine if they had implemented the medal system this year?
Button could have been crowned champion by Hungary with 3 more wins, he would have 9 wins... That's only 10 races into a 17 race season...

Heck even if does not win the next 3, as long as it's not Vettel that wins all 3, Button realistically would have been champion with easily 5 races to spare...

Keep the great ideas coming Max
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Can you imagine if they had implemented the medal system this year?
Button could have been crowned champion by Hungary with 3 more wins, he would have 9 wins... That's only 10 races into a 17 race season...

Heck even if does not win the next 3, as long as it's not Vettel that wins all 3, Button realistically would have been champion with easily 5 races to spare...

Keep the great ideas coming Max
I thought the medal idea was from Bernie instead....

however....Button might still be crown with WDC near the end of European races since he's building a large gap between him and Vettel / Barrichello.....

26 pts between button and barrichello and 32 pts between button and vettel.....

as discussed in March before....this is a silly concept....it works in one single race like the Olympics 4x100 final.....won't work if the track and field event is going to be held 17 times around the world....
the intention was good tho...to FORCE the drivers to push himself and the car and aim for WIN....not to settle for anything lower....but....F1 is also about tacticts and strategy....

when you race hard enough to gain a LOT of points in the beginning of the season....they DESERVE to be a bit relax in the final couple races and enjoy their fruit they planted earlier in the season.....
      06-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The best pf both worlds would be a point system that more heavily rewards victory over second place such as:

1. 15 points
2. 10
3. 7
4. 5
5. 4
6. 3
7. 2
8. 1
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The best pf both worlds would be a point system that more heavily rewards victory over second place such as:

1. 15 points
2. 10
3. 7
4. 5
5. 4
6. 3
7. 2
8. 1
similar to what FOTA suggested to FIA and FOM earlier this year or so....
but bernie and max just simply ignores it.....

1. 12
2. 8
3. 6
4. 5
5. 4
6. 3
7. 2
8. 1
      06-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That would work, my system rewards 1st place and podium finishers even more than what the FOTA has, but still it would work...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That would work, my system rewards 1st place and podium finishers even more than what the FOTA has, but still it would work...
yah...somewhere around that concept....
bernie's intention was to award more to the first podium......he went to the most extreme....
the point system was changed because of Schumi was dominating in 2000s....so they award the first podium with lesser gap (2 pts) rather than 10-6 (4 pts) difference...as well as encourge more overtakes around the middle pack of the cars....
      06-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah well in 2009 we are back with one driver dominating so there is def. no need for a medal system !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

doesn't anyone understand the adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"????

i won't watch next year if they go to the medal system. F1 should be about racing, not about drama. who honestly thinks that the FIA has good ideas? The teams hate it, the fans hate it, and the TV producers are going to hate it when nobody tunes in to watch the races.
      06-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
doesn't anyone understand the adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"????

i won't watch next year if they go to the medal system. F1 should be about racing, not about drama. who honestly thinks that the FIA has good ideas? The teams hate it, the fans hate it, and the TV producers are going to hate it when nobody tunes in to watch the races.
good bye...

seriously....there's drama around FIA, FOM, and the teams almost every year....politics just never ends....
plus....there's also a possibility that next year's F1 will be full of new teams and teams like McLaren, Ferrari, BMW...will leave.....so there's no point to watch it anyhow....
      06-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
good bye...

seriously....there's drama around FIA, FOM, and the teams almost every year....politics just never ends....
plus....there's also a possibility that next year's F1 will be full of new teams and teams like McLaren, Ferrari, BMW...will leave.....so there's no point to watch it anyhow....

are you loyal enough to stick around?

i agree that the politics never end. i am probably over reacting. it just seems that the politics are casting a shadow over the sport. why is the FIA trying to control team budgets? i don't see any team having a huge monopoly over another. it just seems like needless regulation. the FIA should exist to govern and moderate the sport, not to act as a dictator. i think it is good that teams are sticking together to fight the budgeting issue, but the FIA straight up saying that they'll just ban all the teams that don't go along sounds like czarist russia to me.
      06-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

i agree that the politics never end. i am probably over reacting. it just seems that the politics are casting a shadow over the sport. why is the FIA trying to control team budgets? i don't see any team having a huge monopoly over another. it just seems like needless regulation. the FIA should exist to govern and moderate the sport, not to act as a dictator. i think it is good that teams are sticking together to fight the budgeting issue, but the FIA straight up saying that they'll just ban all the teams that don't go along sounds like czarist russia to me.
no way!
with the big teams gone....i'm done with FIA too....

the problem with FIA's budget cap....was they they gave a possible two-teir regulations (limit expense-more tech freedom OR unlimited expense-less tech freedom) this generates two sets of cars....some with more tech freedom (on design and aerodynamics)....and other don't....even with more allowance to spend money....it doen't create a fair playing field on the grid itself....

what FOTA suggests....is a gradual budget cap...like 150 mil euro in 2010, then 120 mil euro in 2011, 90 mil euro in 2112...or something like that....with just ONE SINGLE set of rules....no different technical rules for different teams.....
      06-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

that's Max Mosley...he's a fanboy of Nazi....