BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: HD V-Rod Muscle or BMW S1000rr
HD V-Rod Muscle 8 15.69%
BMW S1000rr 43 84.31%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

12-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #23
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
thanks for having the self control to realize it wasn't for you.
Oh, it was for me...

I put 18,000 miles on in two summers. I loved every second of it.

Not all of it was on one tire... but 20% probably was.

If you're buying a bike, Op... your first investment should be in some GOOD quality gear. Buy a couple jackets (One for spring/fall weather and one for summer.. you might be able to get away with one if youre going synthetic as some have liners).. nice helment (Shitty helmets are just a waste of money as they fall apart/are noisy as hell)... Some boots... some gloves... and some basaltic pants if you so desire.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #24
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

It's actually a common question customers have asked after having a sport bike for a few years, each person is different but what I normally suggest if the first bike is paid for and they can afford to, keep the bike and buy the cruiser.

After a month or two you will decide if you want to keep both or if the cruiser is for you, the used CBR will be no problem to sell the used bike market is booming right now.
If you are interested in any of the metric brands pm me and I can get you cost and all the current rebates, and dont even consider a small Harley, Sportsters are junk overpriced 50 year old technology
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abear View Post
Why is when people do these kind of polls about what they should buy, the things they are buying are total opposites of each other?

The BMW is sport bike, the harley is a cruiser....which do you plan on doing? Taking the wife for weekend rides to the furthest bar and grill, or so you plan on weekends at the track cutting up the curves?

Both of those scooters were built for different intentions, for me to tell you which one you want, I would need to know why you want it .

No disrespect meant in any of this, just starting to bug me a little seeing all the polls for people to compare apples and steak.

P.S. I voted for the BMW.
If you read any of what I wrote in my initial posting you would see that one of the first things I said was that "I realize these bikes are completely different with completely different intentions". Im not trying to compare an S1000rr with a Duc 1198, im just trying to see what people would prefer, an S1000rr sport bike or a Power Cruiser like the Harley V-Rod Muscle and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
This is the smartest option.

I understand that the S1000rr is a great bike... but it's completely overkill. How often are you going WOT to redline on your 600? In which gears?

If you want to take a bike to the track, then keep the 600.
If you want to carve up backroads, then keep the 600.

The only reason to have a liter bike on the street is for the lowend torque, but you obviously don't like to ride very long (due to the posture, which is understandable) and it doesn't seem like you need it for passengers.

Have you considered anything in between these two extremes? A Speed Triple or a Monster or something along those lines?
I thought the HD V-Rod Muscle was a good medium between the two extremes of sports bike and cruiser (its a power cruiser). Dont you think? I mean its definitely not a traditional Harley like a Road King or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Sarah you ride!?!?!

And is this a fucking serious question? How in the hell can you compare a balls out litre bike bred on the track to a high displacement tourqey cruiser/harley.

You can compare apples to oranges. The determining factor should be solely YOU.

If it were a litre bike comparison then we could maybe highlight more of the pros and cons and leave it to you to come to your personal favourite. But this comparison, not so much.

Please, please dont call either of these bikes a "scooter"
Again, I stated that I realize bikes are completely different with different purposes in my initial post. I was just wondering if people would prefer a kick ass sports bike or a Power Cruiser that provides a happy medium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Oh, it was for me...

I put 18,000 miles on in two summers. I loved every second of it.

Not all of it was on one tire... but 20% probably was.

If you're buying a bike, Op... your first investment should be in some GOOD quality gear. Buy a couple jackets (One for spring/fall weather and one for summer.. you might be able to get away with one if youre going synthetic as some have liners).. nice helment (Shitty helmets are just a waste of money as they fall apart/are noisy as hell)... Some boots... some gloves... and some basaltic pants if you so desire.
I agree. Ive been riding for a couple years now so I already have plenty of nice gear. I always wear my helmet, jacket, and gloves. I even always make my passengers wear full gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post
It's actually a common question customers have asked after having a sport bike for a few years, each person is different but what I normally suggest if the first bike is paid for and they can afford to, keep the bike and buy the cruiser.

After a month or two you will decide if you want to keep both or if the cruiser is for you, the used CBR will be no problem to sell the used bike market is booming right now.
If you are interested in any of the metric brands pm me and I can get you cost and all the current rebates, and dont even consider a small Harley, Sportsters are junk overpriced 50 year old technology
What do you mean a "metric brand"? Like Ducatti or BMW? I would love to keep both but I dont know if I can justify it. I live in Colorado so we only get about 6 months of good riding weather and I dont feel like paying two insurance premiums for that.
      12-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

S1000RR, for sure.

Wait for the 2012. Bunch of improvements. I hate the fact that they just bolted the little fins where the lower and upper meet, but it's still a beast.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post

What do you mean a "metric brand"? Like Ducatti or BMW? I would love to keep both but I dont know if I can justify it. I live in Colorado so we only get about 6 months of good riding weather and I dont feel like paying two insurance premiums for that.
Sorry, Any Japanese brand. I recently got out of the industry but still have access to price lists and rebates, It is not a good time to own a powersports dealership with this economy we are in right now

Call your Insurance company just two check I know a lot of times the second bike does not increase your premium as much as you would think....you can't ride them at the same time
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

IMO, the VROD is the worst of both styles of bike. It offers crappy power, crappy seating position, bad brakes, bad turning clearance and bad handling. It DOES look cool, so it falls squarely into major pose factor biking. I spent a weekend on one and it didn't do either sport or cruiser function well. Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #29
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
IMO, the VROD is the worst of both styles of bike. It offers crappy power, crappy seating position, bad brakes, bad turning clearance and bad handling. It DOES look cool, so it falls squarely into major pose factor biking. I spent a weekend on one and it didn't do either sport or cruiser function well. Pass.
Cool. That is exactly the type of response that I was looking for! Thanks man.
      12-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #30
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
S1000RR, for sure.

Wait for the 2012. Bunch of improvements. I hate the fact that they just bolted the little fins where the lower and upper meet, but it's still a beast.

Dude I love your bike! I really like the Acid Green color even though most people think of when they see it.

I was already looking at the 2012s. This biggest thing that I would want out of the new improvements are the heated grips lol. I do live in Colorado and your hands can get quite cold on those late fall and early spring rides.
      12-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #31
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Dude I love your bike! I really like the Acid Green color even though most people think of when they see it.

I was already looking at the 2012s. This biggest thing that I would want out of the new improvements are the heated grips lol. I do live in Colorado and your hands can get quite cold on those late fall and early spring rides.
depending on the tires one has on the S1000RR, I'd worry more about keeping heat in the tires, in cold temperatures. Ofcourse that's if you are actually carrying lean angle.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Toys......

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #33
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Well I was in the same boat as you. I have been riding an 08 CBR 600RR Grafiti edition and just picked up a 08 vrod night rod special. My one friend picked up a 2012 muscle last week as well. I have another friend getting a BMW 1000RR. personally what someone said about the vrod having shitty power... Are you serious here? It out runs my CBR 600RR in a straight line with no problem. Hell it out runs my friends catless E60 M5 with 520whp. All I've done is some new slip ins which get rid of all the baffles, a K
      12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #34
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

Quote:

Ex-bike, ex-car. I miss them both though.

I'm going to get a blue 2012 next year, and an F33 in '13 to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #35
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Ducati all day !! Street fighter is where its at..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavel Tom View Post
Toys......

I envy You !
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #37
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Hallowell View Post
Well I was in the same boat as you. I have been riding an 08 CBR 600RR Grafiti edition and just picked up a 08 vrod night rod special. My one friend picked up a 2012 muscle last week as well. I have another friend getting a BMW 1000RR. personally what someone said about the vrod having shitty power... Are you serious here? It out runs my CBR 600RR in a straight line with no problem. Hell it out runs my friends catless E60 M5 with 520whp. All I've done is some new slip ins which get rid of all the baffles, a K
Somethings wrong with the CBR then, a stock CBR runs in the high tens the Stock VROD is at least 1.5 seconds slower
Appreciate 0