BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
BostonS65
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP DCT Mineral White

Exclamation Another S65 Engine Failure....3k miles

Hi guys,

Unfortunately my first post on here is going to be a bit of a rant. Not sure if it is in the right spot.

BACKGROUND

I'll start with the car - I looked for a very long time for the specific car I was looking for, a White E92 MINT condition needed to have DCT Comp pack and no miles (previous car was a 2012 CTS-V). After looking for about a year or so I finally found her. I live north of Boston and the car was at BMW of Roxbury NJ. I immediately called, drove down and purchased the car.

She was perfect. Not a mark on the car 2013 2,246 miles on the clock, Mineral White, I was in love. Drove her home about 4hrs, no complaints best car ever.

FAILURE

It wasn't till about two weeks later when I was getting fuel on my lunch break and proceeded to drive back to work. There was a bit of traffic so it was stop and go for about one mile until I would be back at the office. I was going about 20 MPH when it happened, it just shut off with no warning. Luckily I was able to pull off to the side of the road without being rear-ended, where I proceeded to try and start the car. It started first try, however it was only running on what had felt like 2 cylinders. I thought at the time it was probably something stupid like a sensor, I mean come on it has 3k miles right? I drove it 4 miles to my nearest BMW dealer which is BMW of Peabody where they gave me a loaner and took my car. About a week of calling them every day to see what was wrong I would only get the answer “we are waiting on BMW as to what to do next”. On Friday of that week I called and told them this is bs, your telling me you already diagnosed the car but don’t know what to do now for 5 days? Tell me what is wrong with my car. The service writer said fine, the engine has no compression in cylinder 4 and we aren’t sure if it is going to be warranty or not. I tried to get an exact answer as to what failed but it was no use, he kept telling me we are not taking the engine apart there is metal everywhere, we cannot determine the point of failure.

I was on fire, I said how would this even be considered to not be under warranty, it is a 2013 with 3,124 miles on it. After bickering with BMW NA customer care and the dealer the ordered me a new engine. The car is still currently at the shop and I’m really confused on what to do now. I love this car but this is such a turn off for the BMW brand.

DEPRESSION

I'm going to have a 2013 M3 with 3,124 miles that WAS mint and all original, that has been completely taken apart and has a new engine. I am worried that the carfax is going to be ruined and I am going to take a huge loss on a car I just spent ALL the money on because it was MINT and had no problems to worry about in the immediate future. I am also afraid of the engine failing out of warranty in another 3k miles.

What do you guys think I should do? Completely abandon the BMW brand all together and sell my car, or chance it and keep my mintish hacked up new engine 3k mile m3.

I apologize if I sound a bit bitchy, I really take care of my stuff and wanted this exact car for so long. It really hurts me having this all happen a month after buying it
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonS65 View Post
Hi guys,

Unfortunately my first post on here is going to be a bit of a rant. Not sure if it is in the right spot.

BACKGROUND

I'll start with the car - I looked for a very long time for the specific car I was looking for, a White E92 MINT condition needed to have DCT Comp pack and no miles (previous car was a 2012 CTS-V). After looking for about a year or so I finally found her. I live north of Boston and the car was at BMW of Roxbury NJ. I immediately called, drove down and purchased the car.

She was perfect. Not a mark on the car 2013 2,246 miles on the clock, Mineral White, I was in love. Drove her home about 4hrs, no complaints best car ever.

FAILURE

It wasn't till about two weeks later when I was getting fuel on my lunch break and proceeded to drive back to work. There was a bit of traffic so it was stop and go for about one mile until I would be back at the office. I was going about 20 MPH when it happened, it just shut off with no warning. Luckily I was able to pull off to the side of the road without being rear-ended, where I proceeded to try and start the car. It started first try, however it was only running on what had felt like 2 cylinders. I thought at the time it was probably something stupid like a sensor, I mean come on it has 3k miles right? I drove it 4 miles to my nearest BMW dealer which is BMW of Peabody where they gave me a loaner and took my car. About a week of calling them every day to see what was wrong I would only get the answer “we are waiting on BMW as to what to do next”. On Friday of that week I called and told them this is bs, your telling me you already diagnosed the car but don’t know what to do now for 5 days? Tell me what is wrong with my car. The service writer said fine, the engine has no compression in cylinder 4 and we aren’t sure if it is going to be warranty or not. I tried to get an exact answer as to what failed but it was no use, he kept telling me we are not taking the engine apart there is metal everywhere, we cannot determine the point of failure.

I was on fire, I said how would this even be considered to not be under warranty, it is a 2013 with 3,124 miles on it. After bickering with BMW NA customer care and the dealer the ordered me a new engine. The car is still currently at the shop and I’m really confused on what to do now. I love this car but this is such a turn off for the BMW brand.

DEPRESSION

I'm going to have a 2013 M3 with 3,124 miles that WAS mint and all original, that has been completely taken apart and has a new engine. I am worried that the carfax is going to be ruined and I am going to take a huge loss on a car I just spent ALL the money on because it was MINT and had no problems to worry about in the immediate future. I am also afraid of the engine failing out of warranty in another 3k miles.

What do you guys think I should do? Completely abandon the BMW brand all together and sell my car, or chance it and keep my mintish hacked up new engine 3k mile m3.

I apologize if I sound a bit bitchy, I really take care of my stuff and wanted this exact car for so long. It really hurts me having this all happen a month after buying it
Apart from the value of a numbers-matching car when it's old enough to be valuable as a collector's car, I fail to see how your car's value will be diminished by having a new engine installed by BMW.
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

That's a shitty situation, and many people in here are going to run with the standard boiler plate "see! every one of these engines is a ticking time bomb!" argument.

Is this your first BMW? First M3? I could see how this would leave a horrible tarnish on the brand for you, but this IS a VERY small percentage of the cars sold. You go on forums to read stories from like minded people experiencing similar problems, so of course it seems like the brand is plagued. But, in reality...it's not.

Choice is yours. If you love the car...keep it. The overall feeling of the car should be more valuable to you than the monetary value.
      01-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

..and you get the pleasure of breaking it in! I would be pissed that the engine blew up, but at the same time getting a new one is cool too. IMO
Appreciate 4
      01-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Just make sure you don't pay the dealer a dollar. They might try and say your responsible for oil, gaskets etc.... Also they may say the new engine only has warranty for 90 days.

Last edited by m3aviator; 01-21-2016 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonS65 View Post

Don't be depressed! If it makes you feel any better, I'll trade you my 2008 M3 with 92,000 miles. That way you wont have to feel bad if anything ever breaks, it's an old high mileage car! I know it's taking one for the team, but I think I could get myself to drive an M3 with 3,000 miles with a brand new engine from BMW. Send me a DM if you'd like to trade!
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
BostonS65
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
Don't be depressed! If it makes you feel any better, I'll trade you my 2008 M3 with 92,000 miles. That way you wont have to feel bad if anything ever breaks, it's an old high mileage car! I know it's taking one for the team, but I think I could get myself to drive an M3 with 3,000 miles with a brand new engine from BMW. Send me a DM if you'd like to trade!
Haha!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
BostonS65
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raek View Post
That's a shitty situation, and many people in here are going to run with the standard boiler plate "see! every one of these engines is a ticking time bomb!" argument.

Is this your first BMW? First M3? I could see how this would leave a horrible tarnish on the brand for you, but this IS a VERY small percentage of the cars sold. You go on forums to read stories from like minded people experiencing similar problems, so of course it seems like the brand is plagued. But, in reality...it's not.

Choice is yours. If you love the car...keep it. The overall feeling of the car should be more valuable to you than the monetary value.
I do love the car, it is my first BMW. I have wanted an M3 since I was a kid. Scary experience so far though! I will probably end up keeping it. maybe I can get some extra warranty time or something
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

Yeah, man. Don't be afraid to demand things. It's within warranty and only has 3k on it! Try to get everything out of them that you can, and enjoy the hell out of it!
      01-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Sometimes these things happens, as long as you don't have to pay anything I'd be happy with a new engine. I have a 2014 911 GT3, and every single one of those cars had the engine replaced. Do you know how often I think about it? Never. I got an extra year of warranty and a new, confirmed working engine out of it. I'll take it.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

An example of a car that has too low mikes,and probably wasn't driven enough. A 2013 with 3k miles is,wayy to few. That's less than 1k a tear. I'd never take a car with less than 3k per year it's been in service.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #12
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I think I remember that car.....sunroof and manual seats.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Wow that sounds like out of luck or final destination with only 3K on it ?!?!
Glad to see it's replaced under warranty and actually you should keep it , because it's the last of true NA-V8 ///M engines

But you should add your bearing failure here with the specs of your car => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Enjoy your new car and replaced S65 , it's really worth to keep it !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #14
BostonS65
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
I think I remember that car.....sunroof and manual seats.
no, carbon roof power seats
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
BostonS65
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
An example of a car that has too low mikes,and probably wasn't driven enough. A 2013 with 3k miles is,wayy to few. That's less than 1k a tear. I'd never take a car with less than 3k per year it's been in service.
how does this make any sense? why would a low mileage car cost more than a high mileage car? The car was serviced every year since new. Please elaborate...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #16
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

They will replace it and everything will be fine. Sucks but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
      01-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #17
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

don't worry about it, as long as you're not paying for engine, you'll be ok
      01-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

This could've happened with any other car you bought, truthfully. No car is 100% reliable, and there will always be issues. I would let them replace the motor and then drive it happily.

I can't see this making a substantial difference in the car's value.
      01-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #19
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

If I were in your shoes, this is how the rational part of me would be forced to look at this since I would otherwise be super annoyed too.

The thing is, this drop in value is on paper and hypothetical. It's like seeing that your $50k worth of TSLA is down -17% YTD. Unless you're forced to sell your car anytime in the next couple years, it probably won't affect you and even if it did, you probably wouldn't have any comparables to even know it.

You are already a tail on the curve with regards to low mileage engine failures and you're not likely to have another one.

So, the worst part about this is that you're not driving your M3 for several weeks and won't be compensated for that other than lackluster updates from your SA and a crappy loaner car that will make you appreciate your car more.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Sorry for your bad start with such an awesome car. Like some of the guys said although we obvioulsy see some issues also with the S65, overall the M3 E9x including the engine is an extremely solid car.

Will be interesting to hear what the issue was.

As far as I know the S65 engine is no longer production. You want to make sure they put in an either new from warehouse or completely rebuilt (should be no brainer with 3k miles but you never know do you...).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #21
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Wow that sounds like out of luck or final destination with only 3K on it ?!?!
Glad to see it's replaced under warranty and actually you should keep it , because it's the last of true NA-V8 ///M engines

But you should add your bearing failure here with the specs of your car => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Enjoy your new car and replaced S65 , it's really worth to keep it !
BMW didn't say it is a rod bearing issue. I am wondering what caused this problem as well?
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #22
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I have 125K miles on my 2008. I have to admit that I often say to myself that I must have a good engine. The fact that I say that in itself is a problem.

Will you get a brand new engine or a rebuilt one?
Will it last for 10K miles, 20 or 25? You don't know.

I kinda stopped worrying about mine at around $60K miles, yet everyday I log on hoping to hear something better than 'don't worry about it' :-)

In the meantime, I do drive it hard but often am paranoid to take it on long trips (which doesn't make sense).

Just enjoy it and drive it hard I guess!
Appreciate 0